Texans Just TOO Slow and quick especially at WR

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gafftop, Nov 24, 2013.

1. gafftop

gafftop Hall of Fame

Texans just too slow and not quick at WR. AJ and Hopkins are basically the same. They have no one like Welker that can get open quick short. Hopkins seems really slow and doesn't get separation. He just catches the ball by making circus grabs and you can't do that all the time. No receivers get open quick and hence no one to throw to on blitzes.

I know everyone thinks Hopkins is going to be great. I don't think so. No speed to get separation and weak physically. Just my opinion but nothing special.
    Does Martin or Posey play anymore?

Should be NOT quick in title.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  2. pissknocker

pissknocker Veteran

So draft Sammy Watkins

3. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade Hall of Fame

Keshawn Martin was supposed to become our version of Wes Welker but the dude never developed as a wide receiver. It's remarkable how nobody can get open at times. Andre Johnson is older and he's still our best at everything. You would think we would have stumbled upon a young stud at wide receiver by now but nope. Agreed with you about DeAndre Hopkins. He's so immature and inconsistent it's beyond frustrating. DeVier Posey has some potential but injuries have slowed him down.

4. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

We have no team speed whatsoever. There is not one player on offense that has breakaway speed and our defensive players are constantly overmatched.

JB likes this.
  5. DexmanC

DexmanC Hall of Fame

Why was Jacoby Jones cut again?

6. RTP2110

RTP2110 Thank You Andre

Nope, gotta have two TE's on the field at all times!

7. Bulls on Parade

Agreed. Even our tight ends are some of the slowest in the league. Owen Daniels, when healthy, was running much slower than he did in his younger days. Garrett Graham rarely is open because he can't get any separation. And Ryan Griffin runs about as slow as an offensive lineman.

8. gafftop

gafftop Hall of Fame

Have been saying same thing for weeks. This team on offense reminds me of a NFL team in the 80's or a Big 10 team a few years ago as far a speed and quickness is concerned.

Past time for a change McNair.

9. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

But...but... Deandre Hopkins is s game changer??

If you can't take the top off of an NFL defense you are doomed.

10. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Several rookie WRs have looked better than Hopkins this year. Personally I was hoping the Texans would have taken Cordarrelle Patterson on Draft day.

11. Mr. Texan

Mr. Texan I'm A Texan

i said this last year but people thought it was all on schaub.

i see tons of teams in the nfl get it to thier wr's or even tight ends in space and the get YAC but with the texans our guys have defenders DRAPED on them as soon as they get the ball and immediately go down after the initial catch.

this receiving core is still in desperate need of more athleticism.

Surreal McCoy likes this.
  12. Bulls on Parade

He has nice hands but he's too slow and his maturity level isn't where it needs to be. I don't blame Kubiak for benching him during the game last Sunday.

13. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Hall of Fame

So is this a secret case keenum getting sacked thread? I agree and have been saying it for awhile. They drafted hopkins because he catches bad balls. The qb,schaub,throws bad balls. They don't have anyone who really steps on toes. That's not the end because the guys like fast enough. The offense should be able to catch and run more by using the field,but it doesn't. If big ben or someone with arm talent and mobility was the qb,we would be having this thread. The route concecpts and the ability to threaten every blade of grass would open the offense. When teams know everything is coming inside or a go rojte,the dbs are crowding those route.

14. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

Team speed is horrible on defense too. It's clear on special teams. The new guy they picked up recently (Victorian) makes it down on special teams 5 yds ahead of everybody else.

15. Earl34

Earl34 Rookie

So, if our TEs are slow, why would the coaches call a formation that lines Daniels up on Richard Sherman, one of the fastest CBs in the NFL.

Is it any surprise that Sherman was laughing on his way to that pick-six? Which genius on Kirby thought that was a great idea? Fast CB > Slow TE

16. playa465

playa465 Site Contributor

Physical = Yes
    One of the fastest CBs in the NFL = No
    Our team still = Slow

17. hradhak

hradhak Site Contributor

Not sure that having a guy like Hopkins precludes us from having a burner. Hopkins now has several games of tape that teams can look at. If he's going to be good he has to start hiding his tendencies as do most rookie WRs. I also would like them to start throwing more fades and deep shots. He can excel there because of his great hands

18. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I swear, some of y'all are ridiculous. Rookies take time to develop. WRs seldom look great as a rookie unless they're a true phenom prospect, and even then, they get better as they play more. It's a position that takes some time. and then there's the rookie wall. Anyone who was planning on relying on Hopkins was fooling themselves. We had a thread at the beginning of the season where people were predicting tons of catches, yards, and TDs and I cautioned then against setting ridiculous expectations. The best players often have unremarkable rookie seasons. Hell, J Watt had 5.5 sacks his rookie season.

He'll be fine.

JCTexan likes this.
  19. Bulls on Parade

With a new coaching staff and quarterback in 2014. I agree.

20. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Irrespective of QB, I agree. But Hopkins caught 18 balls in the first three weeks. The only game he's had with more than 3 catches since was against ARI, with Keenum at QB. Moreover, his YPC average was higher going into this game than it was with Schaub.

Point being, it's not the QB really. He's a rookie, the offense is screwed over right now, coaching is a mess, and the locker room is probably fractured. So whatever changes happen, he'll be fine with some stability.