Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans interested in RB Chris Brown | Update: Signed

stingray

Hall of Fame
With or without the C. Brown signing, I don't believe we were going to draft a 1st round RB anyway - especially if the reports of Stewart's Foot/Toe injury are accurate.
You can't just decide that you are not going to draft a RB in the first round. What if all the players on top of your board are gone and Mendehall is there? You just skip him because you are intent on not drafting a RB? I draft the guy.

Brando

Hall of Fame
If Fred Taylor can stay healthy for one year anything is possible. I think if they split carries like Fred Taylor has done with MJD, this might be a good signing for the Texans.

Texans Pride

Veteran
Anyone have a link to this yet? I know Cloak is a very reliable source, as well as Schefter on the NFL Network, I just always like to see it in print as well.

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
You can't just decide that you are not going to draft a RB in the first round. What if all the players on top of your board are gone and Mendehall is there? You just skip him because you are intent on not drafting a RB? I draft the guy.
Sure you could. I'm not saying they have - or will, but I think it's a pretty good bet that they've decided they're not going to draft a WR in the first round, or an even better bet they've decided they're not going to draft a QB in the first round, so why can't you just decide the same thing about a RB.

With that said, yes, I agree that if Mendenhall drops to #18, there's an excellent chance they'll take him, but the chances of that happening are extremely small. As deep as the draft is at RB, there is a Super Duper Premium RB (McFadden), and a couple of Super Premium RB's (Mendenhall and Stewart) and then a steep drop off to whoever's next (F. Jones?). If Stewart's injury hurts his draft status (and I said if because I don't know the status at this point), then not only does he become less valuable, but Mendenhall becomes more valuable and is almost sure to be gone when we pick.

eriadoc

Texan-American
Brown didn't get injured last year, right? The Tacks just gave up on him in favor of LenWhale White, I thought.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Brown is a restricted free agent that means the tacks can match the offer sheet which will drive the price higher than expected plus cost the Texans some compensation (6th rd. pick) in return. still, if healthy it would be worth it :cool:

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
Brown is a restricted free agent that means the tacks can match the offer sheet which will drive the price higher than expected plus cost the Texans some compensation (6th rd. pick) in return. still, if healthy it would be worth it :cool:
Everything I've seen lists him as an UFA.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
You're mixing him up with the Denver C they may be signing to an offer sheet. Brown is UFA.

hookinreds

Veteran
See also: Guarantee

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why do they put a guarantee on a box? Hmm, very interesting.
Ted: I'm listening.
Tommy: Here's how I see it. A guy puts a guarantee on the box 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.
Ted: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Ya think if you leave that box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter.
Ted: What's your point?
Tommy: The point is, how do you know the Guarantee Fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy, but we're not buying it. Next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I seen it a hundred times.
Ted: But why do they put a guarantee on the box then?
Tommy: Because they know all they solda ya was a guaranteed piece of ****. That's all it is. Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for right now, for your sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality item from me.
Ted: Hmm. Okay, I'll buy from you.
Tommy: Well I... What?

See also: Guarantee

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why do they put a guarantee on a box? Hmm, very interesting.
Ted: I'm listening.
Tommy: Here's how I see it. A guy puts a guarantee on the box 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.
Ted: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Ya think if you leave that box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter.
Ted: What's your point?
Tommy: The point is, how do you know the Guarantee Fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy, but we're not buying it. Next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I seen it a hundred times.
Ted: But why do they put a guarantee on the box then?
Tommy: Because they know all they solda ya was a guaranteed piece of ****. That's all it is. Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for right now, for your sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality item from me.
Ted: Hmm. Okay, I'll buy from you.
Tommy: Well I... What?
gotta rep you on that one. That movie was great and so was that scene.

Tommy: "AWWW Man! I got totally douched by mud!

Paul: "Hey Chucko that doesnt smell like mud"

Tommy: "OH thats cold!! Im a maniac! maniac! (Tommy Dancing)

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
Ahhh...youth.

Free rep for the first under 20 year old TTC memeber to name the movie.
For real? Thats Tommy Boy right?

Anyway, back on topic. Why dont we just draft a runningback, or bring in a young guy? Runningbacks take a pounding, its a waste of money to bring one in who has been in the league for 6 years.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Somewhere Herv is shedding a tear. Pray for Herv. He may need counseling. :devilpig:
I guess I had that coming what with my "Porky loves Sage" comments. Still I think we'll be fine without Dayne. It's not necessarily how I'd have done it but there are more factors involved than just what a particular player does on the field. Dayne is the odd man out and I kind of believe that Chris Brown, IF he can stay healthy might just be a very good fit in this offense. I was reading that he ran in a similar system at Colorado and did well.

We will see. I'm very curious about the staying healthy part. I look at our backs and see Ahman Green (missed most of 2007 and about the same amount of time in 2005), Chris Brown (missed most of 2006), Chris Taylor (missed all of 2007), and Darius Walker.

We've definitely got some guys who have missed some time due to injury. This could go very well and we could be loaded at RB or this could go very poorly. We won't know till we get there.

Porky

Hall of Fame
I guess I had that coming what with my "Porky loves Sage" comments. Still I think we'll be fine without Dayne. It's not necessarily how I'd have done it but there are more factors involved than just what a particular player does on the field. Dayne is the odd man out and I kind of believe that Chris Brown, IF he can stay healthy might just be a very good fit in this offense. I was reading that he ran in a similar system at Colorado and did well.

We will see. I'm very curious about the staying healthy part. I look at our backs and see Ahman Green (missed most of 2007 and about the same amount of time in 2005), Chris Brown (missed most of 2006), Chris Taylor (missed all of 2007), and Darius Walker.

We've definitely got some guys who have missed some time due to injury. This could go very well and we could be loaded at RB or this could go very poorly. We won't know till we get there.
Just givin ya a hard time because of your Dayne train love. Oh ya, and the Sage love comment! :user:

Glad to see Brown signed though. This could be a very good signing, or amount to nothing. All depends on whether the guy can stay healthy.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
We will see. I'm very curious about the staying healthy part.
This injury thing is being overblown. Brown has missed one game due to injury in the past three seasons.

I personally think he's gone. He doesn't really fit the ZBS
Huh?--what about Green's running style doesn't fit ZBS?

and I just think he winds up being a June 1 cut, but I could be wrong.
If the Texans intend to make Green a June 1st cut no matter what his health is, it will happen within the next week. They have a history of giving guys as much time to find a new team as possible. I don't think he will be unless he has injury issues in mini-camp and OTAs.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
from the article

Brown will compete for playing time with Green, Taylor, Walker and a running back who is drafted. It's unlikely that all will be on the final 53-man roster, so the competition in training camp will be fierce. The coaches are extremely high on Taylor's ability to fit in with what Gibbs wants to do. But, if Green and Brown can stay health — a big if — running back could become a strength.
Sounds like a big if to me. He's been injured all five of his seasons with the Titans. I just have to wonder about this choice.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
From roto:

Texans agreed to terms with Chris Brown on a two-year contract, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

We're not huge fans of Brown because he wears down easily, but Houston is a perfect landing spot for him. He could hit long runs in a zone scheme, and only Ahman Green, Chris Taylor, and Darius Walker are in his way. We expect a committee approach, and Brown has a good chance to find a role. Houston seems less likely to take a running back early in the draft now.
http://rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=114096

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
dude was a beast at colorado and he might be a fantasy sleeper, can't complain about the move, just hope for the best

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Hey guys, don't get me wrong here, I hope he turns out to be what we are looking for and tears up the NFL in our system. But I'm just going by what I read.

Nawzer

Alienz
If the Texans do draft a back, one of those guy's is going to get cut. I think Darius Walker is a likely candidate to be cut at this point.

TEXANRED

Texan-American
The Texans were looking for another veteran running back who fit the system. They don't plan to re-sign Ron Dayne.
Without Ron Dayne how are we going to make up that 59.6 yards of rushing per game?

Welcome aboard Chris Brown and congratulations for shedding off your Pansy take it the butt blue and wear the colors of real men.

May you destroy and single handedly defeat the Titans each and every time we play them.