Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans IN LOVE with Willamson

wolf123

Rookie
The texans have begun to show there hand as usual. John mclain says that the texans are in love with the speed of this guys and think he can be the guy to take this offense to another level. I for one agree completely, when you double team andre you have to have someone that can beat the defense deep, and thats exactly what this guys is great at.

Matt Jones is fast, huge and won't need a round one pick, and I'm not even really sure I'd want us to draft him. I really hope you and Mr. McClain (who is this guy - sorry, I'm British) are wrong.

Shush i like your statement. I do not like Troy Williamson and I hope we do not spend 13 money on him. I do like jerome mathis, vin. jackson, and reggie brown. Ohh forgot mark bradley and terrance murphy. Anyway they all have speed and brown could be our pick since he is fast and 6'4". Hopefully in the first we trade up if DJ is available only to 8 or 9 though. If not I like us staying right where we are and grabbing Carlos Rogers (a bigger D-Rob)

There is NO WAY we get DJ in the draft. Troy Williamson is a FINE pick and will solve our WR problems. Then we draft in the trenches. Not a bad route for our future in my opinion.

Tailgate, Williamson will not solve our WR problems. If you want to know what he is going to look like in the pro level as a rook look at Reggie willams with the Jags. Williamson is that type of player a poor route runner with speed and not very good hands in the clutch. I understand he is a burner, but there are 4 to 5 burners in this draft who will go lower. and 2 of them have better hands. If we are smart we grab Jerome Mathis who can get rid of JJ Moses and stretch the field when we go 3 out.

cadahnic said:
Tailgate, Williamson will not solve our WR problems. If you want to know what he is going to look like in the pro level as a rook look at Reggie willams with the Jags. Williamson is that type of player a poor route runner with speed and not very good hands in the clutch. I understand he is a burner, but there are 4 to 5 burners in this draft who will go lower. and 2 of them have better hands. If we are smart we grab Jerome Mathis who can get rid of JJ Moses and stretch the field when we go 3 out.

If there are so many burners and some with better hands.... then why are they not projected to go as high?

come on man the same reason why TD did not go very high, Why TO did not go high, Ray Lewis did not go high. See scouting is what you call a guessing game. Why did Reggie Williams go so high and 3rd rounder Earnest Wilford outplay him all year. Hype is a wonderful thing. And dont get me wrong the kid is talented, but production and Texan money would be better spent on a WR in the 3rd or trade back into the second. Reggie Brown is my pick for Anquan Boldin of the year. There is always one.

Your exactly right. Thus you put trust into your FO and scouting team. What if we DID pass Troy up and he did become the next Marvin Harrison, etc.. I will go with trust of our FO over some message board talk. Thats the difference for me anyway.

we could draft Parish out of miami in the 2nd or 3rd round as well, he is also a fast, sure handed reciever who could help the O, then spend our 1st pick on someone for D-fense

True dat what about Tony Brown from Tennessee I've seen him play a bunch. With two freshman qb's last year and a hoard of receivers he led the team in catches over Meachem. A quiet producer, decent size and speed, good hands I think he'll be a great value possibly late second day pick. I don't know about Anquan Boldin but I hope he makes it somewhere. I guess that would make him a Derrick Mason pick. Only local teams like Titans checked him out kind of like Troy Fleming last year.

I have seen tape of Brown and he is decent. He is just a a little slow. He can catch though. I see him as Jabar Gaffney type of player. A solid slot receiver with sure hands, but those are not the fancy picks this year ya know. I think we waste our 13th pick if we do not go defense. We have to know that if we want to win we have to play some D. Our offense is actually better than alot of people think and we are a couple of players away from being tops in the league. Everyone keeps talking about AJ needs something to help him out. AJ is 6'2" 230 which means he does not need any help to get open. Look at TO who had no #2 receiver yet he could not be stopped. That is AJ by the way. GO DEFENSE GO DEFENSE

If our first string Defense stays healthy... I see no reason why we wont improve quite a bit from last year. With Robaire, Walker, and Payne on the DL... (if they stay healthy mind you)... who are you wanting to draft to bring that immediate impact,etc??

cadahnic said:

Reggie Williams is not a good comparison. Williams was not known as a burner, particularly not after turning in a 4.62 40 yd.--his claim to fame was more as a big physical WR.

Link

A better comparison is Javon Walker.

Link

Anybody know our average time of possesion last year it could be hard to gauge our offense b/c it seemed we struggled stopping teams on 3rd down at times and the d was on the field constantly. Toughen up the D with one year's improvement on o-line and all of a sudden offensive stats could go way up w/o any major additions.

cadahnic said:
Removed deleted quote

Walker is 2 years removed from a Pro Bowl. Don't give up on him just yet. Our D was vastly improving last year the farther and farther away Payne was removed from surgery. Besides... you did not mention drafting a DL with our first pick...so no sense in me going there in depth.

Yes, depth in the secondary would be nice....but can be addressed in later rounds no matter who we get in the first. I also feel this can be done with a LB as well.

Now... do you really think by us drafting Barron and starting him at LT this year would actually be a good thing...and have immediate impact? He might turn out to be a servicable LT in a couple years...but he wont just come in and be good enough to warrent Wand moving to G.

So we can afford to draft WR with first, then address the trenches and a back up CB with the rest of our picks, etc.

What do we know that is impressive about this guy except that he has
a lot of speed: he turned in some fast times (sub 4.4 I think) at the combine
and his sprint times at the scholastic level are sell documented. But speed in and of itself is meaningless for a football player if one doesn't have skills for his position.
ON TV I saw Mike Williams play at USC year before last and just saw Edwards on the tube in the Rose Bowl - they were both very impressive.
I've never seen Williamson in action. Has anybody ? If so lets have some testimony about his hands, ability to run pass routes, toughness after making a reception and hanging on to the ball when getting hit, etc.
As an example, when AJ came out of Miami his skills were well know: he was very tough to bring down after a catch and had very good hands but needed
improvement on his pass routes, and obviously had very good size - many said he looked more like a LB than a WR. And he had speed but this was almost like iceing on the cake because to be sure he was (and certainly has proved to), first and most of all a football player.
Unless we just want to jump on the bandwagon and be part of the heard mentality we need something more specific and convincing than he's fast
and talented. Got to keep in mind, this guy is trying out ffor the NFL, not the 100 Meter sprint in the next Olympics.

infantrycak said:
A better comparison is Javon Walker.
I was thinking Donte Stallworth from the same draft. SEC burner. Underclassman. Late riser after he ripped a 4.2 something at his pro day workout. Went #13 in the draft. Has been so-so as a pro.

Mr Shush said:
I really hope you and Mr. McClain (who is this guy - sorry, I'm British) are wrong.

John McClain is a local sports writer for our paper (The Houston Chronicle). He covers the entire NFL. At times he has been insightful and at other times he has been downright wrong. One area that he HAS BEEN reliable is forecasting who we would draft. He has accurately predicted the position and player we would draft all 3 years. He also said (months before it was announced) that Boselli would never play again.

I tend to think he has great inside information rather than being the next coming of Nostradamus. He thinks we will go for a WR and have Troy Williamson tagged. Again he is 3 for 3. The streak could end this year. I'm just not going to count on it.

I like to compare him to Donte Stallworth, but you are right Reggie was likely not the best guy to figure into the equation. I dont care about DL cause that can be addressed later, but every thing in this draft can be addressed later. This draft has the most depth than most drafts just not a lot of top-tier talent.

nunusguy said:
I've never seen Williamson in action. Has anybody ? If so lets have some testimony about his hands, ability to run pass routes, toughness after making a reception and hanging on to the ball when getting hit, etc.

I haven't personally seen him. Here is his prospect profile from NFL.com which I generally like better than a lot of the hundreds of sites run by draftniks motivated enough to create a page to copy each other:

Positives: Tall, long-limbed athlete with a good frame that can carry additional weight … Has long, toned arms, good bubble and very good flexibility and knee bend … Hard worker, the type that will fight for the ball … Shows suddenness and acceleration getting into his routes and has the size and strength to bust through the jam … Can drop his weight and accelerate out of his breaks … Shows very good double-cut ability … Can find the soft spot in the zone and adjust readily to man coverage … Does a good job of finding the sideline and adjusting to keep his feet in bounds … Has the quickness to come back for the ball … Has a smooth open-field stride and that second gear needed to race past defenders after the catch … Has the flexibility and body control to adjust to the ball in the air … Gets good hand placement and moves well to either his left or right … Gets in and out of his breaks with some fluidness and uses his size to his advantage in jump-ball situations.

Negatives: Will position block to seal off, but lacks aggression and is not the type who will use his strength to shock and control the defender … Has very good speed, but is a bit of a long strider rather than a receiver that has short quick feet … Not as quick in short routes as the smaller receivers and is best when having space to operate … Has adequate hands, but struggles to adjust to the over-the-shoulder tosses … Can come back for the ball, but does not show great stop-and-go action (momentum sometimes takes him out of the play, as he overruns the ball) … Sometimes takes soft angles, especially on upfield routes.

Link

The Preacher took the words out of my mouth. Gaff, bradford, or armstrong (whoever is #2). we need to uprgrade to Oline and deffense.

blitz you are right on target. I have seen alot of mocks and done a lot of scouting for my job. It is crazy how much film you have to watch to make games and do sports management. Anyway I like D. Ware and Carlos Rogers. I also see a definate opportunity for the Texans to trade up to 8 or 9 to grab DJ if he is available. I know alot of people are like DJ is the ST of this draft but we never had a chance at getting him without giving out to much.

nunusguy said:

I saw him play two games this year. I remember him busting a long one against Georgia this year. It wasn't a long bomb, it was just a short slant that he ran over the middle and the guy was gone. I remember he caught it and just burned all the way to the endzone. I was yelling somebody tackle that $%&*#$%!!!! The thing about Williamson is that he had possibly the worst quarterback I have ever seen throwing to him. I can't imagine he had many perfect balls thrown to him or deep balls thrown to him, because the SC quarterback is an option QB with no passing skills.

I don't want to comment on his hands or anything, but if this guy catches it on the run: SEE YA LATER.

a good comparison for Williamson is Corey Bradford. Fast.. but unreliable.

the only difference is that he wont be as good as Corey Bradford in his first season.. and will demand more cap space in the future.

Why do people get so obssesed with receivers? You would think that we have a strong passing offense the way people drool over receivers on this board. we are building a running team :P.. we are building a team with a strong defense, a dominant running game... and a pass threat just to keep people from focusing on our rush.

But noooooo.. everyone wants another star WR. Its stupid. if we take Troy Williamson at #13. then we might as well stop worrying about defense and just make ourselves into the next pass happy offense in the AFC south. It has worked so well for the Colts after all :P..look at all those superbowl trophies.

Williamson is the best pick for us at #13. He will accomplish what we need to accomplish on the offensive side of the ball. They can correct some of his negatives... Dunta had some of the same problems last year. They corrected it and look at him now. I think all of you are being too hard of Williamson. I think Andre, Troy, and Jabbar would be a good base set for us.

I also think we should trade up and get Blackstock. All the mocks that i have seen have him 29-35.. but i know that Pittsburg needs to replace Kendrell Bell and also New England needs to replace Bruschi.

Lucky said:
I was thinking Donte Stallworth from the same draft. SEC burner. Underclassman. Late riser after he ripped a 4.2 something at his pro day workout. Went #13 in the draft. Has been so-so as a pro.
Thats exactly who I think of when I hear talk about Williamson, something about this guy scares me into thinking he will be a bust.

royce1054 said:
Dunta had some of the same problems last year.

Dunta had bad hands and ran bad routes in college :confused: I fail to see the correlation between Williamson's negatives and D-Rob's...

Grid said:
a good comparison for Williamson is Corey Bradford. Fast.. but unreliable.

the only difference is that he wont be as good as Corey Bradford in his first season.. and will demand more cap space in the future.

Why do people get so obssesed with receivers? You would think that we have a strong passing offense the way people drool over receivers on this board. we are building a running team :P.. we are building a team with a strong defense, a dominant running game... and a pass threat just to keep people from focusing on our rush.

But noooooo.. everyone wants another star WR. Its stupid. if we take Troy Williamson at #13. then we might as well stop worrying about defense and just make ourselves into the next pass happy offense in the AFC south. It has worked so well for the Colts after all :P..look at all those superbowl trophies.

That's ridicoulous. We need the best players we can get. Period. If Troy is the best, I say add him. If you hadn't noticed, a good passing game can make the running game better, just as the opposite is true. Every piece enhances, (or subtracts) from the others. The Texans are building an offense that can play any sort of game needed. Just building a strong running game is fine, but what about those games where the defense let's us down. Do you want to have the ability to catch up or not? I hear they are very high on this kid, and compare him to Javon Walker. If we could pair Walker with AJ, I for one, would be very excited. This would help AJ, Carr, and DD tremendouely, and could really take our O to the next level. I am excited about the possibility.

Isn't it possible that the Texans scouts are better than us message board scouts. Let's let the pro's decide what is best. If over several years, it proves to be a failure, so be it. But, let's at least open our minds to the possibility that they know more than we do. :hmmm:

Well when the pros decide what is best.. ill agree with them. in the meantime.. its my opinion versus your opinion.. and my opinion is that Williamson is not the best talent at #13.. and definatly not a need.

Grid said:
Well when the pros decide what is best.. ill agree with them. in the meantime.. its my opinion versus your opinion.. and my opinion is that Williamson is not the best talent at #13.. and definatly not a need.

Its only not a need if we dont resign Bradford. We dont have anyone else.

Well Since we have had only 4 drafts and We had glaring needs all over the place. This year is our first real year where everyone has a different view of our needs for this years draft.

This is a good thing, Think about Tampa all those years. All those top picks and nothing to show for it. I think its a testament to our Staff all across the board.

In my opinion another burner is a waste. If we want a burner wed be cheaper to resign bradford. I think it would be a mistake considering it will take him a full year to grasp the playbook remember we run QB WR option routes where the WR and Carr have to be on the same page otherwise it is interception city.

So don't expect a colts like scoring effort if we do indeed draft this guy. Its atleast a year or two away.

there is a possibility that the Texans Scouts & Head Coach think Troy is more than just a burner, and I'm sure they have gotten Dunta's opinion about him, since he played with him and ran against him in practice, so there is a good chance the Texans know a little more about Williamson than we do.

I agree with Grid on this one. If I were playing Madden, I'd take Williamson, sit back and watch massive scoring ensue. However, in the real world, selecting another receiver doesn't seem to address our biggest concerns, nor does it seem to match the mentality of our football team that Capers is trying to form. Capers wants a hard-nosed football team that can pound the ball on offense, and physically break the opposition on defense, a la the Steelers.

Now, I know if you look at the Steelers, they have (had) great receivers like Ward, Burress, and Randle El, however they also have a great offensive line. We do not. It seems to me we're getting the buggy before the horse if we get our wide outs before we get an offensive line that will allow us to throw them the ball.

If our guys think Williamson is the BPA at 13, so be it, I'll still be happy because I think he's an exciting player. If we can still address the o-line with later picks, or if we don't feel there's a lineman worth the pick then I can see us drafting another WR. I just feel like Williamson wouldn't be put to good use for a few seasons, he'd make a few grabs a game and otherwise collect dust.

I'd much rather see us go defense with our #13 pick. I'd be happy to see us take any of the stud LB's, CB's, or DE's. If there's not a OL worth the #13 pick, we should keep building the stifling defense Caper's teams need to succeed. RB would also make a fair choice if one of the top 3 fell to us. DD has durability concerns, and a stud back in our system could put up some great production.

I agree about with what was said about Dunta and Williamson. I am sure they are friends.. I know some people think impriving the defense is the way to go but from what i have seen alot in the past is that skilled positions are more likely to go in the 1st round. I agree that OL is a need but it wont come til 3rd or 4th round. I do think we need to replace Bradford. Sterling, Armstrong, and Gaffney are not the answer.. DL does need help but we can get one of top 10 ranked DE in the 3rd round. CB its a need but with sanders signing it makes it alot less of a need. Who ever we draft has 1 year to mature. LB i think we can trade up and get a good pass rusher in the 1st round. The rest of the positions i dont think i need to go over.

Hmm maybe since Williamson wasnt really noticed till his pro day and combine, It could play to reason that the texans were hoping to get him as a late round steal, but because of how outstanding he was at the combine and pro day, now all these other teams are standing up and taking notice. I didnt even think about the fact Troy and Dunta were teammates

It will be Interesting to see what moves we make 30 days from now. Until then we should keep an eye out for who houston invites for a private workout. If they invite Williamson then Royce was right all along and as a defensive minded individual, I hope we get some Quality DL im wondering if Wisconsin's Hawthorne may be this years babin move back into round 1. He'd be a good guy to add as well. Then Maybe Bryant in the 3rd.

ARGH! why cant the draft be this weekend?

outofhnd said:
ARGH! why cant the draft be this weekend?

Thats would make me happy. I am going to be studyin in europe during the draft. Its gonna be a long weekend on draft day. I dont plan on missin it.

i would like to see the texans take Marcus Spears, Shaun Cody, or Erasmus James (in that order according to availability) and try to take a WR in the 2nd round, like Rosco Parish out of Miami for instance

Texans32 said:
i would like to see the texans take Marcus Spears, Shaun Cody, or Erasmus James (in that order according to availability) and try to take a WR in the 2nd round, like Rosco Parish out of Miami for instance

I think WR at #13 trade up to OLB at end of 1st round. By the way Parrish is slow as Molasses and cant be a #2 WR.

Texans32 said:
does anyone know what his 40 time was?

well i guess his times were better than i thought
Roscoe Parrish
WR
The people we talked to said Parrish did everything and more, including running routes, catching punts and speeding around as quick as two cats. He measured in at 5-9¾ and 170 pounds, did 10 reps, had a 10-5½ long jump, a 36-inch vertical, ran 4.47 and 4.40 in his 40s (which compares favorably to his 4.43 time at the combine). He also had a 4.22 short shuttle, an 11.08 long shuttle and a 6.69 in the cone drill.

From the Miami Pro Day

The people we talked to said Parrish did everything and more, including running routes, catching punts and speeding around as quick as two cats. He measured in at 5-9¾ and 170 pounds, did 10 reps, had a 10-5½ long jump, a 36-inch vertical, ran 4.47 and 4.40 in his 40s (which compares favorably to his 4.43 time at the combine). He also had a 4.22 short shuttle, an 11.08 long shuttle and a 6.69 in the cone drill.

NFL.com

Texans32 said:
does anyone know what his 40 time was?
He ran a 4.43 in the 40 which isin't that bad, he doesn't have AJ type speed or anything, but he's not slow. Plus, with him and AJ playing alongside in college, that would make for some pretty good chemistry

Texans32 said:
He ran a 4.43 in the 40 which isin't that bad, he doesn't have AJ type speed or anything, but he's not slow. Plus, with him and AJ playing alongside in college, that would make for some pretty good chemistry

still makes more since to go after Williamson or Clayton then trade up for OLB. Then in 3rd round draft CB and DE.

royce1054 said:
still makes more since to go after Williamson or Clayton then trade up for OLB. Then in 3rd round draft CB and DE.
I just really like Spears and S. Cody for our D-line.I think Gary Walker is on the downhill of his career and we're eventually gonna have to find a replacement, so why not get one of these guys who could even challenge him for the starting job this season and make a big impact.

Texans32 said:
I just really like Spears and S. Cody for our D-line.I think Gary Walker is on the downhill of his career and we're eventually gonna have to find a replacement, so why not get one of these guys who could even challenge him for the starting job this season and make a big impact.

they have invested too much money in their D-line to do that in the 1st round. Spears wont be there. Cody wont be drafted til the 20's. His stock has falling so far. We can get replacements in the 3rd round. You also have to remember we will have a complete different LB core. Its speed has been improved. I think it woll start to open up for the DE to get 1-1 pass rushes.

royce1054 said:
they have invested too much money in their D-line to do that in the 1st round. Spears wont be there. Cody wont be drafted til the 20's. His stock has falling so far. We can get replacements in the 3rd round. You also have to remember we will have a complete different LB core. Its speed has been improved. I think it woll start to open up for the DE to get 1-1 pass rushes.
i would be happy either way, we could get a good back-up/future starter in the 2nd or 3rd round, but i think if we get to 13 and Spears & Willamson are both available, we take Spears

Texans32 said:
i would be happy either way, we could get a good back-up/future starter in the 2nd or 3rd round, but i think if we get to 13 and Spears & Willamson are both available, we take Spears

I completely disagree. We do need a pass rusher but too much money is invested in the D-line this year to invest more this early. 3rd yes. Plus anyways Chargers will take him. merriman is only player i believe is higher on their board. If Williamson and Spears is availible

With the #13 pick the Houston Texans Select
Troy Williamson WR out of South Carolina

but who knows, the Texans could go a completly different direction with 13 instead of WR DL, we'll just have to wait till draft day to find out

Back