Texans hire college scout Mike Ackerley and other Scouting Moves

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Brando, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

according to Paul Kuharsky via twitter. link

He's been with the Titans the last 10 years.

2. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

The Tacks have always done a good job in the draft. I'm sure Ackerley will be a quality addition.

Anybody know who Ackerley is replacing on the scouting staff ? If anybody is being replaced.

3. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Multiple scouting department moves

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Texans-make-several-scouting-department-changes.html

The Houston Texans made several changes to their personnel department, promoting three people and hiring two scouts.

They promoted Chris Olsen to vice president of football administration, Lloyd Richards to vice president of football operations and Mike Maccagnan to assistant director of college scouting.

And the Texans hired Larry Wright as a pro scout and Mike Ackerley as a college scout.

Olsen is in his fourth season with the Texans. His primary responsibility is to work closely with general manager Rick Smith on negotiating player contracts and managing the team’s salary cap.

He spent 13 years working at the NFL office in New York where he served as the manager of labor operations with the NFL Management Council.

He was responsible for reviewing and analyzing player contracts to ensure that teams were in compliance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) and the salary cap.

Richards is in his fourth season with the Texans.

He oversees team travel, training camp, the Methodist Training Center and the Texans areas in Reliant Stadium, including scheduling, cleaning and maintenance.

Richards also oversees the team’s game day operations.

Maccagnan initially joined the club as a pro scout as one of the team’s first hires. He works with director of college scouting Dale Strahm in coordinating all of the Texans’ college scouting efforts.

Wright is responsible for evaluating players on current NFL rosters as well as street free agents and players in the AFL, CFL, and UFL. He will also assist in advanced scouting of Texans’ opponents.

He previously worked for the Jacksonville Jaguars from 2003-07 in their pro scouting department.

Ackerley enters his first season as a Texans college scout after spending the previous 10 seasons with the Tennessee Titans. He is a 20-year NFL veteran that also worked for the St. Louis Rams and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

4. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Did Wright replace Greir?

Hope the answer to that one is yes.

b0ng likes this.
  5. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

This was my first thought as well. Didn't see his name appear though so my guess is Grier is still with us in some capacity.

6. ArlingtonTexan

No. Grier is the associate director of pro scouting while Wright was hire as a scout.In short, Grier is his boss and probably interiewed him etc.

7. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

IMO Olsen is one of the better hires during the Smith/Kubiac regime. Supposedly a very sharp dude with contracts. He has helped to correct some dufus decisions made by prior management, but hey..

8. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

This is disturbing.

Incompetent people (Greir) shouldn't be part of the hiring process.

9. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    As some of you know I'm kinda new at following the Texans closely year round, thus my question. After this comment and several mirroring the sentiment, what has this Greir fellow done that's so bad? Is he a leftover from the C&C days, throw somebody's Ganny on the tracks or what?

10. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Bobby Grier has been in charge of saying these particular players are okay to pay money for in free agency:

Anthony Weaver
    Ahman Green
    Todd Wade
    Tony Bosseli
    Eric Moulds
    Robaire Smith
    And more
    He's in charge of Pro Scouting and he has done a bad job.

11. ArlingtonTexan

I think he is sort of a whipping boy as the one connection between the two administrations. We overall have not done well in our free agent acquisitions (although a little better now), so much has been laid at his feet by a group here. Really he is a non-decision making administrator at this point so while not a defender of his I think he gets too much talk for a guy who oversees aspects scouting but is not even the top manager the pro side of things.

12. ArlingtonTexan

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/FrontOffice.asp

Gardner, Brian Director of Pro Personnel
    Grier, Bobby Associate Director of Pro Personnel
    Murphy, Kevin Pro Scout
    Wright, Larry Pro Scout
    Strahm, Dale Director of College Scouting
    Maccagnan, Mike College Scouting Coordinator
    Ackerley, Mike College Scout
    Carr, Jon College Scout
    Cavanaugh, Ryan College Scout
    Lambert, Ed College Scout
    Martin, Mike College Scout
    Merritt, Bob College Scout
    Trott, Nathan College Scout

Grier is not even the top administrator on the Pro Side, much less is a decision maker.

13. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

And prior to Gardner, Grier worked under Chuck Banker, so while it's probably valid to criticize his performance, I don't believe he's ever been the top of the Pro Scouting department food chain.

14. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    Thanks for the follow up and background. I figured it had to have something to do with the "old days". ABTW, (edit) Granny ;^)

15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Greir has been the constant in 2 different regimes. That has led to some of the dumbest FA signings in NFL history.

The late great Joel Buschbaum ? Greir's qualifications when he was the GM of the Pats. I cant find the link. The C&C losing factory thought it would be a good idea to bring Greir on board to help build the the franchise on the pro personel side of the organization. What true impact FA has been signed since this franchises inception? In short Greir isn't very good at his job.

Dont give me Pollard. He fell into their laps.

16. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

You also have to figure in trades. And to some degree, game preparation.

So, Walter, Antonio, Pollard, are a few who go on that ledger card. Yes, plenty of bad FA signings, but it doesn't all go on Greir. I am sure that Green was Sherman's choice. We don't know what Greir had to say about that.

As posted earlier, greir is a voice, not necessarily a loud one.

17. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

He was a loud voice in the previous regime.

The FA signings back then created the hole that Smithiak have yet to crawl out of. IMHO

18. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

[​IMG]

and also leach, andre davis, dreessen, butler, myers, zgonina, bentley, cody, reeves & wilson. granted not many on my list are standouts (apart from schaub) but most are solid contributors/ role players

19. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Bobby Grier has been a whipping boy on Texan fan forums for every poor decision the Texans have made. Despite the fact that no one knows how much juice he has in the organization. If any. Ridiculous. Blame the guys at the top when things go wrong. That's the honest thing to do.