Texans Have Top Young Talent

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by mariowillshine15, Jul 14, 2010.

1. mariowillshine15

mariowillshine15 Hall of Fame

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?page=FootballOutsiders2010OrganizationalRankings

1. Houston Texans
    Not only are the Texans at the top of our rankings, but they could be even further ahead of the pack if we included players who are currently 25 and turn 26 before September 1. That would allow us to add star middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans to the Texans' haul. Even without him, though, the Texans are downright spoiled for talent. No one can match their one-two punch of Mario Williams and Brian Cushing, the best young players at their respective positions in the NFL. Add Ryans into the mix, and the Texans have three guys in their starting 11 who should be starting in the Pro Bowl every year. They're that good.

Those three players aren't the only talents on defense, either. Defensive tackle Amobi Okoye has been inconsistent as a pro, but consider that he's just 23; Okoye is more than six months younger than Ndamukong Suh, who hasn't played a pro down. Safety Bernard Pollard was gifted by the Chiefs and immediately shored up the team's biggest weakness. The versatile Connor Barwin had 4.5 sacks in limited time last year. Zac Diles benefited from playing alongside two elite linebackers, but held his own in coverage on the weak side. The team may start second-year corner Glover Quin across from rookie Kareem Jackson and would not regret it. The Texans go deep. Throw in their troika of young running backs, led by Steve Slaton, and Houston is an organization at the peak of its developmental work. General manager Rick Smith doesn't get much attention nationwide, but since he took over for Charlie Casserly in 2006, it's hard to find anyone who's identified and acquired young talent as well as Smith has.

BIG TORO and thunderkyss like this.
  2. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

How old is Rick Smith? 30? LOL

3. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

Awesome

4. BIG TORO

BIG TORO TERADACTYL #23

Man I'm ready for this season to start!:kingkong:

5. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

This is something we already knew. Unfortunately, we are at the bottom of the barrel in terms of veteran leadership from the players to the FO which has prevented us from making the next step.

In the Free Agency era we need to strike a better balance of youth and experience if we hope to build a dynasty.

6. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Just because you are sexually frustrated doesn't mean you have to bring the rest of us down!

We are actually taking a path similar to the Eagles, Ravens, Oilers/Titans, Indianapolis...

all these teams struggled with mediocrity despite a lot of young talent. They frustrated the fanbase with mediocrity until the core of the team matured. We've taken a similar route. And, now, guys like Schaub, AJ, Demeco, Mario, Pollard, Winston, Brown, Walter, OD should be at a place to lead the team as veterans.

7. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Doesn't mean a whole lot if they can't get it to translate to the scoreboard.

8. sometexansfan

sometexansfan Blue Bomber

I think he was roommates with Zgonina at Purdue, so probably a little older than that.

9. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

I hope this translates into :trophy:

10. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

I'm geeked about the season!

11. AnthonyE

AnthonyE Lurker

12. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

"Young" talent... Regardless of what happens with Kubiak, you can't judge these 23-25 year olds' careers as unfavorable based on a couple seasons where they hovered around .500.... It would be very surprising if this group of players don't have a lot of success in their careers, right?

13. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

I'm a lot more worried about the coaching decisions than these guys being able to take the next step from a maturity standpoint. I think the guys that you mentioned will only get better from that part of it. They could have gone 10-6 or possibly 11-5 last season if the coaching decisions weren't so bad at the end of certain games. Kubes is the guy that scares me. Not our core players. Other than our secondary, we're looking pretty good around the board with the O line being a little iffy as well. I think our running game will be very solid this season though.

14. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Or even better:trophy::trophy::trophy: and maybe even :trophy: (Yeah, I'm greedy)

15. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

this team is stacked and i really think this year they break through. already making tailgating plans for sept 12

16. gary

gary Hall of Fame

The Texans are just locked and loaded.

17. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

This summer we saw teams in the NBA playoffs and in the World Cup compete to the best of their ability to win it all. We watched the Lakers fight it out with the Celtics to win a championship. We watched Spain's relentless attack win them the World Cup. We saw LeBron James......Ahem..Moving on... I wonder if the Texans have developed that kind of a mentality because they are so young or if they have the right kind of people to push the players to that championship level. Brian Cushing, AJ, and DeMeco Ryans are the guys I think who have the qualities of a winner. We'll need those guys to lead from the front. The point is, hopefully the Texans have been taking notes and getting inspired. I can't wait because Houston will loose its mind if we make it to the playoffs this year!

18. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

Championship!:trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy:

19. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

Anybody remember this?!?! Ha ha ha ha! We sure showed it this year.

20. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I think Frank Bush regrets it. And it was not the Texans, but their opponents, that went deep.