Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans getting some of the spotlight.

Blake

MMQB
img7853837.jpg

NFL.com Article

"Carr in overdrive
Speaking of lights going on, there is none shining brighter than the one inside the head of Houston quarterback David Carr. Not many thought the Texans would be a legitimate playoff candidate -- especially in a division that features Manning, McNair and Leftwich. But Carr has given Houston a presence at quarterback the city hasn't seen since the great Warren Moon.

In addition to his talent, David Carr has shown a desire to win that has spread to his teammates.

Houston's games have been as wild as any in the NFL, and it has been Carr at quarterback who has lit a competitive fire within this organization. In six of their first seven games, Carr has completed over 60 percent of his passes, run for first downs, been spontaneous out of the pocket and has made big play after big play. With his big arm and favorite receiver Andre Johnson, Carr has become everything the Texans had hoped for when they drafted him No. 1. The fiery California kid who plays with poise and passion has instilled a spirit within his locker room that is making players play at or above their abilities.

The most important attribute a quarterback can possess is his ability to inspire his teammates to rise to lofty heights. Carr is a prime example of that type of quarterback. With their confidence riding at an all-time high, the Texans are as dangerous a football team as you can face in the NFL today. Oh, by the way, he looks so much better with a haircut.

All these young quarterbacks -- and, of course, some of the older ones -- are going to make it extremely difficult for fans and players alike to vote for three Pro Bowl representatives. Right now, there are no fewer than eight AFC signal-callers on pace to easily justify a Pro Bowl invitation. It is going to be a wild second half in the unpredictable AFC."

That picture is funny but I think the article is correct. I believe even the veterans among the team know this is his team now unlike when he first came here and addressed the veterans as Mr.

Another thing sort of about Carr that I found on SI.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/players/11/02/smack1108/

Different players talking about big hits:

JASON TAYLOR
Dolphins Defensive End, 6'6", 255 pounds
"On a blind-side hit you can unload all your frustrations from that week or day. But the league will fine you for hitting a guy too hard, and you can't hit a quarterback with your helmet. You have to hit him with your chest, and you can't hit him below the waist. You have a narrow range. In David Carr's first NFL game I had a great shot at him, and I was going to try to really hit him. I figured I wouldn't get fined for hitting a rookie. But he jumped right back up after I hit him, and I was the one who was woozy. I've also gotten totally nailed by offensive linemen. Once I was blocking for [Dolphins linebacker] Zach Thomas, and I stuck my head out a little bit and got knocked out cold. I used to trash-talk when I was young and didn't know what I was doing, but now I just shut up and play."

swisher said:
Cut your hair David!

Its kinda funny you say cut your hair, his hair isnt that long dummy :) The reason it looks long in that image is because thats the moment when he slammed his helmet to the ground, its not like his hair looked like jeremy shockey's.

In David Carr's first NFL game...
That was Carr's 2nd preseason game. He played in the HOF game in Canton against the Giants a week earlier.

I'd like to think that I would be smart enough to not correct Jason Taylor in person. But I know that's not true. :slap:

Oh man, I would love to see Johnson have another great game this weekend followed with a win. With Champ Bailey guarding him and him having a wonderful game, he would really start turning heads.

i have been to so many other teams message boards just looking and all of them sem to have polls on who the top reciever in the nfl is right now and 2 out of like 17 said johnnson and on the other he wasnt even mentioned. Once he shows the nation what he can do against green bay when the game is nationally televised the world will know he's for real !!!

Dre Article Link Nice to see Andre finally get some much needed publicity:

Notebook: Texans know they have gem in Johnson
Nov. 3, 2004
By Clark Judge
SportsLine.com Senior Writer

With the third overall pick in the 2002 draft, the Houston Texans figured to wind up with one of three players -- wide receiver Charles Rogers, wide receiver Andre Johnson or defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson. Privately, however, they hoped it would be one in particular.

Andre Johnson.

Andre Johnson seemingly becomes more dangerous by the week.

"In all the years I've been scouting," said Texans senior vice president and general manager Charley Casserly, "I'd never seen a wide receiver who was this big, this fast, this athletic and this good."

We know. We know. The Texans wound up with their man after Detroit chose Rogers, and in 1½ seasons, Johnson has become the league's most promising young wide receiver since Minnesota took Randy Moss with the 21st pick of the 1998 draft.

There is nothing the guy can't do. He's quick. He's fast. He's strong. He's physical. Plus, he catches everything thrown at him. In short, he's everything the Texans envisioned when they chose him ahead of Robertson, and he's a pivotal reason Houston is a half-game behind front-running Jacksonville in the AFC South.

"When we looked at Andre," said Casserly, "there wasn't any negative on him. He was strong, fast, athletic and tough. Occasionally, he'd drop a ball, but we said, 'We can work with him to correct that,' and we have. The guy just needed direction more than anything else."

The only direction you see with Johnson these days is north. Everything with this guy is pointed up. In his first season, he led all AFC rookies in catches (66) and receiving yards (976); had three 100-yard games; led the league with 445 yards after the catch; and showed all the signs of becoming the ideal target for the team's franchise quarterback, David Carr.

Now there can be no doubt. Johnson is the AFC's fourth-leading receiver; is second to Jacksonville's Jimmy Smith in yards; has two 100-yard games; hauled in a club-record 12 passes against Minnesota; and scored as many times (4) through seven games as he did in 16 last season.

"I know you hear that stuff about how rookie receivers can't make an impact, but that's a bunch of bull," said Casserly. "It all depends on the system and the opportunities he's given. What you're seeing now is a confident receiver who's making plays downfield in spots where he wasn't making them a year ago."

Johnson was nothing short of marvelous in an overtime loss to Minnesota, making acrobatic catches and carving up the Vikings secondary for a career-best 170 yards. Then last weekend, he had a team-high nine catches -- including the 100th of his short career -- in a 20-6 defeat of Jacksonville, the Texans' fourth victory in five games.

The Texans are hot, and so is their second-year receiver. Through 26 games, Johnson has 108 catches for 1,541 yards and eight TDs, and while that's short of what Moss accomplished through his first 26 starts (101 catches, 1,827 yards and 21 scores) it's better than almost everyone else. That's one reason you had better start taking Johnson and the Houston Texans seriously.

"I think the guy's becoming one of the top receivers in the league," said Casserly.

david carr is going to be on "jim rome is burning" after sportscenter

just thought you would like to catch it and see what he is going to talk about

ccdude730 said:
david carr is going to be on "jim rome is burning" after sportscenter

just thought you would like to catch it and see what he is going to talk about

@ what time? gotta see that. :popcorn:

Rome sorta bashed the Texans after the Lions lost to Philly, but now he's starting to believe we're for real. That is what happens when you start winning games. I love it when we get national pub, but I love it more when we win.

I agree with Sharper on this one:
"I don't care about respect in the middle of the season. I want it at the end."
- Texans linebacker Jamie Sharper
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/HOU/7855282

Just a note of interest: On the magazine racks, Sporting News has a special edition out titled, PRO FOOTBALL'S GREATEST QUARTERBACKS - THE FAB 50.

David Carr is mentioned as one of the up and coming "Young Guns" who might be heir to this elite group.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS said:
Jim Rome is a tool. Here is one of his more memorable moments
Thank you, SBT! That has to be one of my all time favorite moments in Live TV. Classic!
:rofl:

Notice that was the last time Rome ever got cute in a live interview.

Anyway...

ESPN's "NFL Live" has had a virtual Texans lovefest on their past 2 episodes (Fri and Sat). On Friday night, Mark Schlereth said Houston was a "Can't Miss" for the playoffs. On Saturday, both Merril Hoge and Schlereth picked the Texans to beat Denver (ulp...). Hoge added that this time next year, Andre will be considered the best WR in the NFL. So ESPN's apparently awake now.

All that rhetoric aside, the best change in the coverage (from my POV) is that the talking heads are actually talking ABOUT the Texans, and not just their opponent, each week. The coverage of the Tacks and Jagwires games drove me crazy because the Texans were not even mentioned. Heck, there wasn't time to talk about them, what with the extended features about how tough McNair and Leftwich were, and how dominant their running games were, blah, blah...how'd THAT work out for them against the Texans? :hehe:

STEEL BLUE TEXANS said:
Kenny Mayne's piece on the Texans just came on. I LOVED IT!

"I love marshmallows, but I hate Derek Jeter"
Yeah it was funny.

"Johnny Damon is going to cut his hair if the Texans win 3 straight. But what connection does Damon have with the city of Houston?" - Mayne
"Damon played with Carlos Beltran in KC. And who plays for us? Volia!" - Wong
"But Carlos Beltran is a free agent" - Mayne
"Yeah, he will probably go to the Yankees. I hate Derek Jeter" - Wong

Back