Texans Free Agents/Salary Cap Situation: Where do we stand?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TheRealJoker, Jan 15, 2017.

1. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

I am thinking we have room for either Bouye or Hopkins at the $ they'll both command.

Hopkins is more valuable to this team due to the strength of our CBs relative to our WRs.

2. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Hopkins is also just a better player, far and away.

TheRealJoker likes this.
  3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Bring Lechler back at age 41 or FA Jeff Locke former Viking?

Cap hit 2016 $721,000 74 punts 3,155 net 2886 ave 42.6 net 39 out of bounds 3, 34 inside 20. 28 YOA. 2016 $ 721,000

Lechler: 72 punts 3423 net 2886, avg 47.5 net 40 out bounds 5, 30 inside 20. 41 YOA August 2016 cap $1.8 million

4. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Wherever I was, I was more than likely drunk
    If Lechler wants to play another year, you sign him. Wouldn't hurt to bring competition into camp

5. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

I've been thinking about what we could get for Joseph in a trade draft pick wise. As soon as I heard about Albert I thought, wonder if they would do a Joseph for Albert trade.

I would still draft an OT fairly early. Preferably one that could come in and start inside for a year or two. That would go a long way in improving our OL.

BigBull and steelbtexan like this.
  6. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

After thinking about it, if one of the top OT's fall, I would be for drafting say Bolles in the 1st and trading back into the 1st for Lamp. You would solidify your OL for yrs. Then sign Cutler/Romo on a short term deal. This way your vet QB and drafted QB in next yrs draft would be well protected.

Spend the rest of your FA $$$$ bringing in a vet LB that can cover and if he gets cut Gilchrist. Then draft a fatty NT late in the draft like they did with Reader. They NT's from USC/Colorado look like 4th or later rd draft picks and they can play.

7. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Brian Cushing's Future With the Houston Texans Hangs in the Balance Heading Into the 2017 Season
    Patrick Starr
    Yesterday at 9:18 AM

Brian Cushing's future with the Houston Texans could hang in the balance for the 2017 season.

Entering the 2017 off-season, the Houston Texans have to poke and prod their current roster to make sure that they are in the best spot for the upcoming season. There will be plenty of focus on the future of A.J. Bouye and the uncertainty at the quarterback position, but there will be some underlying issues with key veterans which require attention as well.

Longtime linebacker Brian Cushing someone whose name will come to the forefront as an opportunity for the roster to improve through potential cap savings. Cushing’s story is well known. He has grown as a man and player in Houston. He was rafted by the Texans in 2009 in the first round, named the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, and in that same year, saw his first and only Pro-Bowl selection. In 2011, Cushing was selected to the All-Pro team which was the height of his play for the Texans.

There were also low times. First, the positive test late in 2009 which resulted in Cushing missing the first four games of the 2010 season. Then, in consecutive seasons, 2012-2013, his left leg took a battering on two separate occasions: first, a blindside block from Matt Slauson early in 2012, and the following season he broke his fibula, tearing his fibular collateral ligament in the process, after a cut block from Jamaal Charles.

The road has been long for Cushing and off-seasons dedicated to rehab have seen him the past three seasons performing as a shade of his former self.

In 2016, Cushing finally looked, at times, like he did prior to the injuries. An MCL injury did cause him to miss two games this season but those injuries were not enough to keep him from having a decent overall season. Cushing finished the season with 65 total tackles and took over as the Texans all-time leading tackler with 648 total tackles.

Which now leads to this upcoming off-season. What is next for Cushing?

2017 marks the first time that there are potential cap savings with Cushing’s contract — if the Texans decided to move on from him. With a cap number at $9.3 million, Cushing will enter the upcoming season as the 4th highest cap hit for the franchise this upcoming season.

Looking at Cushing closer, from a football standpoint, he has turned into a two-down linebacker because of the injuries and limitations in space against faster running backs. Late in the season, Cushing relinquished his 3-down linebacker role to Benardrick McKinney and was spot-filled with Max Bullough in certain defenisve situations.

With limited snaps, Cushing’s potential cap hit of $9.3 million is high for what he is being asked to do on the field.

TexansCap.com breaks down Cushing’s contract.

Brian Cushing’s contract runs through the 2019 season. Cushing is due a $5.5 million dollar salary in 2017, along with $1.25 million in roster bonuses. Cushing’s 2017 cap charge is $9.547 million. Releasing Cushing will provide a net cap savings of $5.55 million while leaving $3.997 million in dead money and saving the team $6.75 million in cash spending.

The Texans could clear some cap room if needed, $5.55 million, if needed for other possible roster moves.

If the Texans do move on from Cushing, they would have to fill two linebacker roles to fill in behind McKinney. That could be an issue with a cap situation that might be allocated to other areas.

Cushing, if he wanted to, could take a pay cut to line up with what he is being asked to do on the field. That number would be drastically less than what he is making now and that would leave the Texans less work on the roster to fill more holes.

Either way, Cushing’s contract will be a focus of the Texans on what exactly what to do with him for the future. Injuries and limited work on the field could be signs of the direction that the Texans might go, but Cushing is considered one of the team leaders and the “heart and soul” of the defense.

The Texans are not forced to make a move with Cushing but if another opportunity arises to sign a player or two, his current contract will come into focus quickly for a decision to be made.

8. jradMIT

jradMIT Hall of Fame

This article really makes the case for cutting him if he is unwilling to take a pay cut. Money is better spent other places and inside linebackers are one of the lesser expensive positions to pursue especially for a 2 down guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocBar likes this.
  9. powda

powda Team BLEACH!

That says all it needs to. 2 downs. Restructure or get cut.

DocBar likes this.
  10. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Alex Anzalone in the 3rd/4th rd would make a great replacement.

12. ung14

ung14 Veteran

Cunningham in the 2nd would be good as well. If they are going to cut Cushing I'd like to see them get a good cover ILB.

13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Anzalone can cover, staying healthy has been his problem. Things like a broken arm, not ACL/Achillies etc...

I really want the Texans to draft one of the top 3 OT's if one falls, then trade back into the 1st for Lamp. I'm going to post a mock after the combine with my thoughts on this.

Being somewhat of a draftnik I'm really looking forward to the combine.

14. jradMIT

jradMIT Hall of Fame

Although I'm not so high an all 3 OTs, I'm hoping they acquire a starter at RT in FA so if all three are gone they won't be stuck, I think this draft has some very good options @25. There might be a very talented player that falls.

steelbtexan likes this.
  15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Which OT do you like?

Whitworth appears to be the best FA OT, but he's 35 yrs old.

Personally, I would rather take a flier on Volmer on the cheap and draft a couple of OL. If and it's a big if Vollmer can stay healthy he would solve the RT issue in a big way.

Maybe we can get CND to weigh in on Vollmer's injury history.

16. jradMIT

jradMIT Hall of Fame

I guess I like Wagner the best, he is gonna be very expensive, but worth it, Reif would be adequate and cheaper.

steelbtexan likes this.
  17. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Wonder how Vrabel views Bullough in Cushing's place? I am still not counting Brian being cut.

18. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Bullough acquitted himself well in Cushing's place early last season. He's a 2 down thumper.

19. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

This has been my thinking. You don't decimate your LB'er corp with the expectation that a mid-round draft pick will step right in. You can cut Bullough or Cushing, but not both. Our team's available $$$ will go to shoring up other needs. I don't think the FA route is a likely solution.

20. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Mailbag: How Will the Houston Texans Handle The Offensive Tackle Position?
    [​IMG]
    Patrick Starr
    Yesterday at 10:34 PM
    Opening the mailbag to answer reader's questions on the Houston Texans

Let’s start from the top. We know that the Texans could possibly be without Derek Newton for all of next season due to the severity of his injury. Chris Clark is still under contract but the Texans have enough film to realize they need to upgrade the position group behind Duane Brown. Kendall Lamm is part of the equation but he is going to have to make a big jump heading into 2017.

Newton still has three years remaining on his current contract and if there is a chance he can not play in 2017, the Texans still have to pay his contract. The Texans will be facing a tough decision on Newton's future but there are some options on how to address the situation.

Derek Newton
    RT
    Total Value: $26,500,000 (13th highest of 49 RT contracts)
    $5,300,000 APY, $10,000,000 fully guaranteed
    Visit Over The Cap for more Derek Newton contract information.

One positive for the Texans is the who have been released early from their contract, making them unrestricted free agents. All are veterans who have been plus players at some point of their careers but who now have seen some more recent struggles. When factoring in the potential injury/age risks of soon-to-be free agents Andrew Whitworth (Cincinnati) and Matt Kalil (Minnesota) who could help, there may be too much risk involved.

Which leads probably to Ricky Wagner (Baltimore) and Riley Reiff (Detroit), who are more than likely the best options on the market.

The Texans know that their right side of the line needs to be addressed but, lucky for them, there will be plenty of options for the team to scour to make the right choice.

"Could possibly be without Derek Newton for all of next season due to the severity of his injury.:toropalm: