Texans Free Agents/Salary Cap Situation: Where do we stand?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TheRealJoker, Jan 15, 2017.

1. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

We are talking about Ricky McNair here and smart and Ricky don't go hand in hand. Unless you're talking about Ricky becoming part of the McNair family. If that's the case then little Ricky's a genius.

2. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

You're missing the point. What if Duane Brown says he doesn't want to restructure, what are you going to do, cut him?

An extension like @infantrycak pointed out is much more likely. Brown is not going to restructure the last two years on his deal without getting more years on the contract, he has no reason to do that.

Maybe we are talking about the same thing though. When I hear restructure, I'm not thinking extension of any kind, just lower cap hit, over the same number of years. With extension, I'm thinking rip up the current contract and start with a new one that covers more years.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    thunderkyss likes this.
  3. TexansFTW

TexansFTW Hall of Fame

An extension is basically another form of restructure that I was including in this whole talk.

4. TexansSeminole

That makes sense then. I try to say one or the other, because they are imply dramatically different things.

I'd still hold off on an extension with Brown. He's on the books for 2 more years at $9.65mil in 2017 and $9.75mil in 2018, but he has zero guaranteed money left, which means zero dead cap if cut. That goes for both 2017 or 2018. Let him prove in 2017 that the injury is truly behind him and that he hasn't lost ability to play at a high level. We are essentially renting him yearly at a high rate, but with a no termination fee policy right now. I'd want to go through FA, the draft, and the season before handing Brown more guaranteed money. This way you have flexibility if he falls off or shows that his injury is an issue long term, or if a rookie/FA shows out and you think you've found a new LT. Brown could be a cheaper RT on an extension or cut outright for any number of reasons ahead of the 2018 season. He makes a lot, but is handing him guaranteed money worth saving ~$3mil of cap savings this year and ~2.5mil of cap savings next year?

I like the position that we are in with Duane Brown's contract right now. I have to give Rick and the cap team credit for the structure of this contract. It gives us a lot of flexibility. I just wish they would have followed it up with some OT prospects in the draft and really took advantage of its structure.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  5. htownfan32

htownfan32 Hall of Fame

Just a gut feeling, but AJ Bouye's situation gives me flashbacks to Glover Quin. Since he left we've had a bit of a revolving door at safety. With J-Jo's age and a healthy Kevin Johnson back next year, it wouldn't hurt to have the CB spots locked down. Maybe shift Kareem to the back end.

6. jradMIT

jradMIT Hall of Fame

If you don't sign Bouye, then your gonna have to draft another CB in the draft. I feel like you need 4 cb's in this group with the injury risk.

ObsiWan likes this.
  7. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Hey I-man I'm right there with you on Brown because I think it's imperative to resign him for 2017 to be able to defend our division title and return to the playoffs. We might get a capable starting RT in the Draft or free agency this year but we won't find 2 starting OTs. Yea we got to retain Brown even if that means committing to a multiple year contract.

8. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Extension will do the trick.

Give Brown 3 yrs and spread the $$$$ out. He's not giving $$$$ back, you can bet on that.

I think we're on the same page. To be honest I'm no cap guy. I forget who the cap guy is on here, but he's really good and makes very accurate predictions.

9. Scooter

Scooter Funky

I realize wanting to play for the future in a lot of these posts (younger, faster, cheaper), but you don't push out your best players. Even with our talent at corner, Joseph is our #1. At 30 years old and on one leg, brown was far and away our best offensive lineman. Cushing is a bit more complicated - he can still play, still mentor and the team will be worse without him - but he doesn't warrant the contract. He's a veteran that is a boon to have on the team, but not the playmaker - I don't know if there are options to remedy his salary without releasing him.

TexansSeminole and infantrycak like this.
  10. TexansSeminole

Definitely agree with that sentiment.

My worry with Brown is the injury he suffered. I'm still not sure what it means for him long term, but I'm obviously not advocating cutting him this year. If he can show that he's still the same guy next season, I'd love to see them extend him.

Joseph is well worth his contract if he can keep his level of play up. I don't think you need to do anything with him. Just let him play out his contract. He'll be 34 in the 2018 season though, so re-signing him at that point might be a tricky gamble. They might be able to keep him around for cheap though.

I think Cushing is definitely gone after the 2017 season, I don't think there is any other way to remedy his contract either.

Question for people who follow contracts: how often do players on their rookie deal get extensions ahead of the last year of their deal? I'm not talking about 1st rounders on their 5th year option, but later round picks. I'm wondering how likely it is that we see an extension for guys like Hal, Fiedo, Su'a Filo. It seems like it would be beneficial for both parties under certain circumstances. For the player, it's obvious. For the team, maybe you can get them a little bit cheaper before they potentially have their best year, or maybe you can time the majority of their guaranteed money in years where it makes more sense than to wait a year?

Scooter likes this.

11. Scooter

Scooter Funky

I don't want to contradict CND, but offensive linemen aren't human. They calmly walk off the field with injuries that put most other positions in casts and carts. Duane is one of those ... he wasn't supposed to play in the first half of the season. When he did play he was supposed to be obviously impaired. Instead, he was our anchor. True, he was FAR from being himself, but 1/2 of the real Duane Brown is still a great player. We have plenty of issues and DB's successor is eventually on the list, but unless there is a new injury, I would guess Duane has 3-5 more years at a very high level.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  12. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Just to be accurate, Bouye : 2014 14 games 59 tackles, 10 passes defended, 3 INTs, 1 TD. 2016 15 games, 63 tackles, 1 sack, 16 p def, 1 INT.

13. TexansSeminole

Here's an interesting turn of events:

Link

Could the Texans be in play here for Albert? He was their starting left tackle this past year and made the pro-bowl from that position in 2015.

He has cap hits of $10.6mil in 2017 and $11.3mil in 2018, with $1.7mil signing bonus allocations in each year. not a cheap contract, but he's a good player and the contract isn't long. Maybe they extend him upon trading for him and start with a new contract? Maybe we move Brown to RT if we were to make this move? An interesting option.

The other question is, what would we give up? It sounds like there are potentially multiple teams bidding for him, so I assume it's have to be something of atleast some value. I know the Dolphins need a cornerback. Perhaps they want Joseph, but I don't see us doing that unless we are prepared to sign Bouye.

Thoughts on this possibility?

14. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

CB Johnathan Joseph 4-16-1984 turns 33 in two months. LT Duane Brown turns 32 August 30th. I would expect to keep both this year and have player in waiting for 2018. Bouye could have a very low 2017 cap hit that increases a lot 2018. I expect to see same type contract for Hopkins; take the hit of $6 m dead for Osweiler and use the $15 m savings. I am more concerned with injuries for Joseph and Brown than age. Cushing savings in 2018 of $8.5 m again offers a total between two of $23.5 m. Let's not forget Hopkins plays 2017 at $8 m.

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

I'm with you on Clark.

We should not go in to 2017 thinking Clark will be starting. He's a back up, was signed as a backup & will fill in nicely if needed. He never should have played 16 games, or even 10.

JB likes this.
  16. jradMIT

jradMIT Hall of Fame

I think you sign a new starter at RT cut Clark and draft a new swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  17. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Brown probably has 3 high level (Same as this yr) yrs left. That's why I would extend him and save on the cap. I would also either sign a vet FA OT and drat a guy that can play OT and OG. Or draft an OT early and another in the 4-5th rd range. There's no OL depth, particularly at OT. Ricky should do everything possible to avoid what happened last yr.

thunderkyss likes this.
  18. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I am going along with CnnnD on Brown's health; he did not play against much during regular season and his injuries imo should not get better. We have him under contract at reasonable rate for a left tackle and we can cut him any time if he falters. I'm also concerned if he re-injures and his year become guaranteed. We need to restock our line.

19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

For the record I would only give Brown a contract for the 2017 and 2018 seasons and coach up my 2017 drafted OT.

20. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

agreed, he is under contract already for those years; if coach thinks he can play...