Texans Free Agents/Salary Cap Situation: Where do we stand?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TheRealJoker, Jan 15, 2017.

1. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

It would be hard to comment on the coaching. Mancz seem to do a fine job, that was a real find by Rick and company, or maybe good coaching? Filo turned it on late, he finally showed something, though he's still a huge question mark in pass pro. Aboushi played above his contract. Arguments on both sides in regards to coaching.

Disagree that Clark was ok in any aspect. He's been regarded as one of the worst tackles to play last year by many.

My main hope for the OL is that we draft several players, atleast one early, that can not only improve our play, but keep us from having to spend a ton of FA money again. Clark, Allen, Bergstrom, and Newton cost us a lot of money combined. I can live with missed draft selections over throwing away mid range money on a bunch of fliers, essentially. One hit wonders mostly.

JB likes this.
  2. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Wherever I was, I was more than likely drunk
    Agree to disagree on Clark, tho I'd like to see an upgrade. We'll draft at least one tackle. I think(hope,pray) that our OL will be better next year.

I'd like to see our defense better (points allowed ) also. We can't totally ignore that again

3. TexansSeminole

Agree on defense, but I don't think we need to draft a lot of defenders.

In regards to defense, I think a safety and a coverage linebacker would help the most in improving the defense. We actually did really well considering our safety play last year. If we could get a safety who is well rounded, this defense could improve quite a bit. I've been trying to watch tape on the safeties in this draft, not only because I like watching defensive back play, but because we really need it. There are a bunch of intriguing guys at the position this year, and there isn't a lack of diversity in skill set either. They'll have options at that position throughout the draft.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  4. TexansFTW

TexansFTW Hall of Fame

I gotcha, so have 4 QBs on Roster and pay the position ~$40 M and don't need to restructure Duane Brown (who's market is no longer $10 M per year).

Then we let AJB walk and then you cut our #1 DB?

I guess we will just agree to disagree.

5. TexansFTW

TexansFTW Hall of Fame

I believe you are what your market says that you are. And Duane Brown's market is not a 2 year / $20 M LT any longer. He will not command that money in free agency at all and if you believe otherwise go look at Donald Penn last year.

Here is a link to his current salary: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/oakland-raiders/donald-penn-3007/

This guy has protected Derek Carr's blind side since day 1 of Carr's career and hasn't missed a game in 10 years and graded out as a better tackle and is getting paid ~ half of DB's contract. Raiders didn't have a replacement for him either.

NFL is a business and a dirty one at that, if you aren't willing to restructure your contract get ready to uproot your family and your livelihood to go make less money in a new city. I don't believe it's absurd to ask DB to take a restructure and I believe many aren't aware just how many people get restructured every season for more cap friendly deals.

6. TexansFTW

TexansFTW Hall of Fame

We've tried to replace JJo in several drafts now, and every season this guy is always the #1 CB on the team, even when he tears his groin.

ObsiWan likes this.
  7. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

How much longer do you think this streak continues?

8. TexansFTW

TexansFTW Hall of Fame

Not much longer obviously, he's getting old and his 4.3 speed looking like it's starting to fade a bit, but I believe it's asinine to assume you can cut the most underrated CB in the league to save $6 M and just replace him like it's nothing.

For the football he puts on the field and the job required of him, I have zero issue paying this guy $6.5 M every year he remains in the NFL at that level. He's been one of the biggest DB steals in the NFL for many moons and basically the only reason I've ever praised Rick Smith.

9. TexansSeminole

@TexansFTW Ok, so you cut Brown, because he won't restructure. What are you going to do now? His backup is an UDFA with zero experience. Chris Clark is now your only tackle on roster that has played before and he's bad.

Btw, Penn didn't restructure, he was signed as an UFA after his contract expired, which means he was able to test the market.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  10. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Yep

I'm OK with letting AJB walk. I'm very leery of guys who only play well during their contract yrs. See; Newton

Yes, 40 mil for only 1 yr to solve the QB problem is well worth it to solve an eyesore that has existed since the BOB hire. After next yr you cut Os and hopefully the draft pick is ready to play. If not you sign another vet like Cutler, or if you get lucky you find out that Savage is the guy.

11. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

I'm always amazed when folks say we can cut JJo and Cush and save X amount of $. ONly to replace them with Vet minimums and they think the team will be better. I give Wade credit for JJo, it's one of the first things he did as the Texans DC was sign JJo.

This is a BIG reason I'm not a Rick Smith fan. Since the day that Eric Winston left I've been touting a top OT in almost every draft. I started with Bryan Bulaga, then wanted Cordy Glenn, next wanted Jake Fisher and last year Jason Spriggs. Smith is touted a GM but does not engage in GM think. Smith is more in tuned with Coach Think, more preparation for the season at hand and not so much with a four year plan.

12. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

It's probably going to come down to letting Bouye walk or cutting JoJo. For the record I'm ok with letting Bouye walk and replacing him with a FA or draft pick. Use the cap space for Bouye on rebuilding the OL.

13. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

They should have drafted an OT last year to atleast develop, but this should be given an absolutely top priority along with QB in the '17 Draft. IMO it was ill advised to draft Ervin when we already had that guy on the roster in Hunt which made Ervin basically a luxury.
    We are being told it's a weak year for OTs but strong for guards. Even talented college guards rarely can sucessfully play LOT in the NFL but sometimes they are very capable ROTs which is generally speaking more about blocking for rushing plays than pass pro. So along with QB lets hope the Texans target a top college guard who can play tackle or a capable tackle.

14. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

The 30 and dead rule applies to RBs not OL many of whom play into their late 30s. Brown is 31right now. If anything now might be a good time to give him a 2 year extension and lower his cap hits.

ChampionTexan, steelbtexan and JB like this.
  15. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Texans unlikely to use franchise tag
    February 15, 2017

Although the Texans ideally would like to retain free agent cornerback A.J. Bouye and hammer out a contract extension, a relatively tight salary-cap situation is expected to preclude them from designating him as their franchise player.

The Texans have roughly $25 million in projected salary-cap space and it would cost just over $14 million to retain Bouye under a one-year franchise tender, all of which would count against the salary cap for the 2017 fiscal year.

Tuesday marks the first day NFL teams can use the franchise or transition tags. The deadline to use them is March 1. Free agency begins March 9.

Bouye has emerged as a hot commodity as an unrestricted free agent following a breakthrough season in which he intercepted two passes in the playoffs, including New England Patriots star quarterback Tom Brady once. The former undrafted free agent began the season as the fourth cornerback, but became a starter and led the AFC South champions' top-ranked defense with 16 passes defended.

A former undrafted free agent from Central Florida, Bouye declined a small, multiyear contract offer last spring to play this past season, betting on himself and instead playing under a one-year, $1.671 million salary.

Now, Bouye is poised to cash in whether it's with the Texans or in another NFL city. Bouye could land a huge payday given the need for big, fast cornerbacks like him in a passing league.

"It's pretty fun," Bouye said. "I'm just taking it all in. It's something new to me, just enjoying every moment. It's big when you see people recognize what you do.

"I'm just excited for the future because I know there's a higher ceiling and more things I got to do. I'm excited to put in the work and just be back out there, wherever it's at."

The Texans have former first-round draft pick Kevin Johnson returning from foot surgery. Veteran cornerback Johnathan Joseph said he wants to keep playing. The Texans also have starting cornerback Kareem Jackson under contract.

A deal for Bouye is expected to be expensive. Top cornerbacks average between $12 million to $14 million annually.

The Texans have historically eschewed using the franchise tag.

They've used it only once in the history of the franchise, assigning it to cornerback Dunta Robinson in 2009 at a cost of a one-year, $9.957 million tender.

Robinson was upset about receiving the tag and sat out the entire traning camp before finally signing the tender one week before the season-opener. During that first game against the New York Jets, Robinson's cleats had the message "Pay Me Rick," directed at Texans general manager Rick Smith. Robinson was fined $25,000 by the NFL for wearing the shoes.

Robinson wound up leaving the Texans as a free agent the following year, signing a six-year, $54 million contract with the Atlanta Falcons that included $22.5 million guaranteed.

As he prepares for free agency, Bouye is maintaining a patient approach.

"Most definitely, my dad (Steve Bouye) he's the one who talks about it more than me," Bouye said. "I spend more time with my daughter. I'm trying to travel, spend time with my cousin, that's my main thing.

"I really don't think about it right now. My agent (Fred Lyles) says he's going to take care of me on everything."

Jackson is due a $6.5 million base salary with a $8.968 million salary-cap figure. Joseph is due a $6 million base salary and carries a $6.096 million salary-cap figure. And Johnson is entering the third year of his $10.09 million rookie contract.

The Texans would like to find a way to keep Bouye, though.

"I certainly couldn't be any more proud of any of our players than I am of A.J. with the way he improved his play and his confidence," Smith said. "I think he had an outstanding year. I've said many, many times you can't have too many corners. We've talked about that a lot.

"I think he's a fine young man. He fits our profile and we certainly would like to have him back and we're going to do everything we can to get that done."

16. jradMIT

jradMIT All Pro

I think the problem with the FA Offensive line signings is that they have tried to be cheap. Guards are no longer cheap in this league, its changing. You either pay up or go to the draft, you don't half ass it. There's They signed Allen a guy with one good year to a deal worth 7 MIL a year. We know what a good guard looks like and one that gets paid. Instead of paying Brooks they tried to make a lukewarm investment in Allen with less guaranteed money. You have to be so much smarter than everyone else if you don't make the real investment. If your not going to make a real investment you might as well go to the draft, there's always decent guys in the 3rd round, but if you want a real player you have to make the commitment because someone else will. This year there are guys who can play, but you have to pay up, getting a guy like Zeitler, Leary, Lang, Warford is gonna take commitment. Its understandable if you want to go through the draft instead, but the middle in my mind just isn't smart. At least Allen can be cut after this year with little negative impact, but now your in the same boat. They should have just kept Brooks or drafted a guy last year. The problem isn't their ability to pick a guy, its the unwillingness to make a real commitment. Maybe Allen was just a temporary solution in their eyes and was never suppose to be here more than two years?

Take a look
    Brandon Brooks
    CONTRACT:5 yr(s) / $40,000,000 SIGNING BONUS$11,000,000 AVERAGE SALARY$8,000,000 GUARANTEED:$21,000,000
    Jeff Allen
    CONTRACT:4 yr(s) / $28,000,000 SIGNING BONUS$5,000,000 AVERAGE SALARY$7,000,000 GUARANTEED:$12,000,000

Almost the same money if you keep them, but much easier to get rid of Allen, so it looks like they never really thought Allen was gonna live out his contract, because if that is the case they should have just kept Brooks.

steelbtexan likes this.
  17. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Sounds like you're describing Dan Feeney/Taylor Moton. I wonder if Pocic can play RT? He's played all along the OL at LSU. Very physical.

18. TexansFTW

TexansFTW Hall of Fame

When did I say to cut Duane Brown? I've never once said nor implied you cut him. I said he's a prime restructure candidate. If you've ever negotiated anything in life you know it doesn't have to Absolute side A or Absolute Side B. Sometimes side B can use leverage to get met part way in negotiations and vice versa.

I'm very well aware what Donald Penn did, I linked his contract showing he was signed as a FA. I'm telling you what his open market was worth. A guy that has played more consistent and better football for 2 years prior to becoming a Free Agent received a 2 year / $11.8 M contract, which is less than 2 year / ~$19 M of what Duane Brown is set to receive. Donald Penn tested Duane Brown's market for him and created room for Texans salary cap people to have a talk w/ DB.

19. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

The franchise tag window opened today and goes to March 1st.

BigBull and steelbtexan like this.
  20. jradMIT

jradMIT All Pro

I think another guy who can add pass rush is needed as well, whether it be from one of the DL or the LB positions, you can never have enough. If there is one on the board at 25 and not one of the 3 tackles it would be a good move.