Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans fans activate! Bum Phillips Opera

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
We got enough fund raising to create the score to the Bum Phillips Opera.

Now we need to raise enough money to fund the production:

http://www.usaprojects.org/project/bum_phillips_2014_world_premiere_opera

About:

Thank you again for helping us commission the Bum Phillips opera. The music will knock your socks off! Workshop A: Act One was presented by Long Island University from Feb. 8-10, 2013, followed by a presentation at the La MaMa Great Jones Rehearsal Studios in Manhattan. I am writing to share that the dates for the 2014 World Premiere have been confirmed! The world premiere of BUM PHILLIPS will be March 13-30, 2014 at The Ellen Stewart Theater in New York.

We still have a ways to go in order to produce the opera and we just launched a new fundraising campaign on USA Projects. This is by far the largest production that my company, Monk Parrots, has undertaken with a tremendous potential for broadening our audience while supporting our mission. But we cannot do it without you. Now is the time that we need your support more than ever. Please help us produce the world premiere by making a tax-deductible gift before the fundraising deadline: June 30,2013. If we do not reach the minimum goal by June 30th, then our project will not be funded. We also greatly need your help directing friends, family, and colleagues to the campaign site, as well.

It is tax-deductable.

And the website puts all the proceeds towards the production without taking anything out.

And you can get stuff back at different donation levels. Like having your name on the program.

If you have a spare $300, you can get an autographed copy of his autobiography.

If you have a spare $2000 hanging around, you can go out to Bum's ranch.

And if you donate, and let us know you donated in this thread, I will give you happy rep points because I can't do much more than that.

They are desperate to get this funding by the deadline, because if they get this funding, they get additional funding that makes it work.

Ultimately, I like to honor and support people while they are still alive. Getting this opera together would be a small way to honor someone who was important in Houston's history.

This would make its goal in a few days if they did the performance somewhere in texas. Houston's performing arts scene is 2nd only to NY and it would be a huge event here.

We got enough fund raising to create the score to the Bum Phillips Opera.

Now we need to raise enough money to fund the production:

About:

It is tax-deductable.

And the website puts all the proceeds towards the production without taking anything out.

And you can get stuff back at different donation levels. Like having your name on the program.

If you have a spare $300, you can get an autographed copy of his autobiography.

If you have a spare $2000 hanging around, you can go out to Bum's ranch.

And if you donate, and let us know you donated in this thread, I will give you happy rep points because I can't do much more than that.

They are desperate to get this funding by the deadline, because if they get this funding, they get additional funding that makes it work.

Ultimately, I like to honor and support people while they are still alive. Getting this opera together would be a small way to honor someone who was important in Houston's history.

Ummmm, Steph??

Is this or is this not the same project that I donated to that got me the personally signed book by Bum 'Coach, Cowboy, Christian'?

*EDIT*
And by "Cowboy" he didn't mean those folks in southern Oklahoma.

Ummmm, Steph??

Is this or is this not the same project that I donated to that got me the personally signed book by Bum 'Coach, Cowboy, Christian'?

*EDIT*

Good question. I was wondering that also, having donated and got Bum's book myself....

Good question. I was wondering that also, having donated and got Bum's book myself....

You're a freakin' stud for donating!!

I mean if it's the same project and they need a few more bucks, they'll get it.

If it's a new project, they'll get it......... But I'll need some new swag. ;)

Ummmm, Steph??

*EDIT*

OK, this is the deal.

Our last fundraiser created the words and music. The score. The staging.

They used that to do a rehearsal of it.

Now they want to produce it for a broader audience. So need more money for that part.

As for Houston, the producer is from Houston. He wants it to be here. They are hoping that staging it in NYC, they can get bigger level funding for a larger production in Houston, and then perhaps bigger than that if successful.

The $20,000 isn't the entire amount for the staging. They need that amount to show interest so that other grants go through. They don't get the fan cash, they don't get the extra money.

This would make its goal in a few days if they did the performance somewhere in texas. Houston's performing arts scene is 2nd only to NY and it would be a huge event here.

If anyone knows some opera big wig in Houston, the creative director is coming to town in August. He is trying to get interest in staging it here.

I do not know any opera peoples. Maybe someone else here does.

The director of the show wanted me to thank all y'all who have donated so far. He could see the activity coming from this message board.

Yay Texans Talk!

The more donations the production gets, the more realistic it looks to others for them to donate too. So you all have helped get this going.

He says that they very much want to get the show to Houston. That getting good reviews in NYC would help. They are also eyeing grants that would allow a touring show.

We can make this happen. Please consider a donation big or small to support this.

Bum is 89 years old. We can certainly raise $20,000 to make this happen, as a small way to honor him.

At the $300 level, you get that autographed book and other stuff. If you already have one of those, consider getting an autograph as a gift for someone else. Father's Day is coming.

Please donate: http://www.usaprojects.org/project/bum_phillips_2014_world_premiere_opera

Right now we are at $950. Let's bust a grand.

Have you sent this to the arts and lifestyle editor and bloggers? Opera sponsor types are more likely to be reading that section of the paper

The director of the show wanted me to thank all y'all who have donated so far. He could see the activity coming from this message board.

Yay Texans Talk!

The more donations the production gets, the more realistic it looks to others for them to donate too. So you all have helped get this going.

He says that they very much want to get the show to Houston. That getting good reviews in NYC would help. They are also eyeing grants that would allow a touring show.

We can make this happen. Please consider a donation big or small to support this.

Bum is 89 years old. We can certainly raise $20,000 to make this happen, as a small way to honor him.

At the $300 level, you get that autographed book and other stuff. If you already have one of those, consider getting an autograph as a gift for someone else. Father's Day is coming.

Please donate: http://www.usaprojects.org/project/bum_phillips_2014_world_premiere_opera

Right now we are at $950. Let's bust a grand.

Just left the site. Now it says this when you donate
1-to-1 match from USA Open Match Fund of:
$ XXX
No clue on how long this matching thing is good for. But now's the time if you're thinking about kicking in.

Have you sent this to the arts and lifestyle editor and bloggers? Opera sponsor types are more likely to be reading that section of the paper

I'm sending it all over.

Ultimately, I am hoping that there are enough people who really, really love Bum to at least get their name on the Production Sponsor list at their premier.

So far:

$1200.

1 to 1 matching activated right now.

Only 5 people from Texas have donated.

We can do better than this.

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2013/06/someone-wants-to-make-an-opera-about-bum-phillips.html

Bum is supporting the opera but makes sure that folks know....

bum.png

OK, this is the deal.

Our last fundraiser created the words and music. The score. The staging.

They used that to do a rehearsal of it.

Now they want to produce it for a broader audience. So need more money for that part.

As for Houston, the producer is from Houston. He wants it to be here. They are hoping that staging it in NYC, they can get bigger level funding for a larger production in Houston, and then perhaps bigger than that if successful.

The $20,000 isn't the entire amount for the staging. They need that amount to show interest so that other grants go through. They don't get the fan cash, they don't get the extra money.

Right on! I'm in for this stage of the project as well. Thanks for the explanation.

We are stuck at 11 contributors. $1200.

My post on this has been FB shared 128 times, and tweeted 26 times.

The challenge is to not just get people to share the info, but to actually act on it.

I hate hate hate asking for folks to donate money. At the same time, if we can't get this funded, we sort of suck. Bum Phillips is one of the most likable people in the world.

It takes about 5 minutes to make a donation. Be one of those people whose name is on the premiere playbill.

Direct link:

Wish I could donate, but in a sort of financially tight period right now. I'll be in a better position in a month or so, but time is tight so not sure if this will still be available.

Is there any way that you can get this story to one of his former players? Heck, even one of the current Houston Texans players for that matter! If they could just donate an amount equal to a night out would make a big difference.

Wish I could donate, but in a sort of financially tight period right now. I'll be in a better position in a month or so, but time is tight so not sure if this will still be available.

Is there any way that you can get this story to one of his former players? Heck, even one of the current Houston Texans players for that matter! If they could just donate an amount equal to a night out would make a big difference.

I was wondering that myself. Seems like some of them should still be financially viable enough to help out.

Gave it to Pastorini on Facebook and he sent it to a ton of people. I'm hoping to reach out to some players too, and maybe some folks at the NFL offices.

Also hoping to do some sort of push on radio stations, where you can more directly ask people to do something right that moment.

Just my article has been shared 144 times.

But the deal is that it is much easier to share something that sounds cool than it is to get people 1. that have some extra money 2. to take the time to make this happen.

The sales term is "conversion."

I have tried to get various media outlets interested in this. And they've come through because it is a crazy fantastic idea.

But the hard part is to get people to act. Especially when we are just 7% of the goal. Sometimes once you get the ball rolling, it keeps going, but I'm not sure if this can get done.

The way I figure it is this:

The Astrodome is likely going to get razed.

The idea of a Bum/Earl statue isn't close.

But this is something that could actually happen. And I know talking to Bum that he is delighted in the idea, he just thinks it's great that some fellows from Texas thought about doing this. The first guy in any sort of football at all that has an OPERA written about him.

Just seems to me in all of Texas, we should be able to get more than 9 people to donate something.

HA! Bill, you are great.

Now....22 supporters.

$2475 raised.

12% of goal.

Deadline in 18 days.

We can do this. Please reach out to people who were Luv Ya Blue folks.

More.

An even $2600.

13% raised.

24 supporters.
(13 from Texas).

18 days to go.

If we get that % higher, I think we can get the donations going faster where it looks realistic that it will happen.

More.

$2700 raised.
25 supporters
13% of goal
17 days left.

At this pace, we won't make it. The hope is that short term we can get more supporters, which will get more momentum to finish the donation period with a strong kick.

Do you have a company? Consider making a donation under your company name, and I will promote the heck out of it.

We need to make this happen because it is realistic and failure is not an option.

100% funded from the last update I received.

That is fantastic!

They are still taking donations for those who want tickets to the opening night and traveling to NYC. Think that is at the $150 level.

Anyone know who the person is that made the big donation to go over the top?

I just saw this last night and thought it should be here, as well:

NFL Films Presents Bum's Opera 14 October 2014

DB, I am so glad Steph brought this project to my attention. I was MORE than honored to have contributed to this project.

I'm not sure but I think Steph and Bill (her husband Bill) made it to New York to see the production.

It was just a very weird and yet super cool project concept.

Again, I'm glad the project reached 100% of it's donation goals. I am extremely proud of Steph and (guy I can't remember) spearheading it and I'm DAMN glad that I participated.

Back