Texans FA signing: FB Boomer Grigsby

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by DiehardChris, May 12, 2009.

1. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Not exactly big news, huh? LOL

Remember him from Hard Knocks, when he was with the Chiefs?

He's another one of those high-motor, high-effort, not so high-talent players. I guess that cements that Cecil Sapp won't be back, unless the Texans have designs on moving Boomer back to his original position, linebacker - which of course is very doubtful.

I don't think he's just a camp body, though. Kubes said that Vonta Leach had a lot more energy and played better once they brought in a second FB last year, so if he does well on special teams, Grigsby can stick.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  2. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    competition for Casey maybe?

3. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Still a curious signing. He was released by the Dolphins after the 1st game in 2008...........and sat out the entire remainder of the season. During his entire career he has had no carries and only 2 receptions. Unless they think that he has the ability to add those skills to his repertoire, I don't see him functioning effectively as a FB in our system. Try to convert him to that hard yard back we need? Only if they think he can use his LB moves with ball in hand. Significant ST contribution will undoubtedly be a necessity.

4. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

All he would do would be the backup FB and a special teamer. They didn't re-sign Sapp, so I don't think it's a curious signing at all. He's a good special teamer, so he's got a good shot to make the team unless he's lost that ST skill.

5. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Good nickname for a fullback.

6. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I remember him from prior to the 2005 draft, where Grigsby had a cult following on Texans fan forums. I'm convinced that none of his "fans" had actually seen Boomer play while in college. They just loved the name and that he was a wrestler.

I think Boomer is fodder. This season's Jon Abbate.

7. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

If he's fodder, does that mean our #2 FB isn't currently on the roster? I don't think Casey is going to be our backup FB. The Texans carried 2 FBs last year, and Boomer is a good special teamer. He can stick.

8. CloakNNNdagger

Sapp, while at Denver, was utilized as a running back, full back and special teamer. Sapp was initially brought here to be utilized as an RB.

9. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Well, but what was he ACTUALLY used as? He ran the ball exactly two times last year, and Kubiak said part of the reason he came in was to give him reps in practice as a FB so that Leach wouldn't wear down.

10. CloakNNNdagger

You're right, that's how it did turn out. And if that's the case, Sapp was certainly considered a strong STer. If Boomer is to be anything but fodder, he will need to be at least as valuable as Sapp at STs as well as some other position if not FB.

11. Fox

Fox All Pro

That's the first thing I thought of, their code name for him was "Captain America."

12. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

From HT.com...
    end of speculation. he's a new cog for Joe M.'s ST machine

13. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Still an odd signing though. Didn't we whack Troy Evans for being a Grigsby? A player that can really only contribute to ST's

We're becoming the Gruden of FB's and TE's. Ha

14. Polo

Polo Guest

Yet at the same time we've carried a guy who was just a long snapper...

I think that this will be the year that we won't carry a guy who just snaps...

15. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Why did John Madden have to retire now that a FB and ST guy named Boomer is on the team. :gun:

16. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Grigsby can serve both S/T and backup FB duty. So he's got a primary and a secondary function. zat's okay... isn't it?

17. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

David Gibbs was with the Chiefs when Grigsby was. FWIW. There's some familiarity.

18. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Well, technically Evans was a back up LB, but everyone with a brain knew what his role was.

19. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

Was looking for a bit more info on the guy and came across a couple interesting articles. First, some draft stuff:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2005draft/Grigsby,Boomer-MLB-Illinois State.htm

Of note from that: "Agility tests: 4.55 in the 40-yard dash...400-pound bench press...600-pound squat...335-pound power clean...36-inch vertical jump...30 -inch arm length...9 -inch hands...Right-handed... 28/34 Wonderlic score."

The first article I found while looking for his speed brought back some bad memories though, interesting read nevertheless:

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/11/25/boomer_grigsby__rookie_diary_pats/

The game where LJ basically had his way with us during the terrible 2005 season. He states his awe of Reliant but then brings up how bad our home crowd was at that game etc. etc. Can't say I blame him, hopefully if he sticks on the team this year we can give him some different impressions on our fan base.

DiehardChris likes this.
  20. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Don't get on my bad side, Boomer. I know it was four years ago - but them's fightin' words.