Texans earning respect of their peers at Pro Bowl

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Jan 27, 2013.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Hmmm......Watt at TE?........he is probably joking, but that would definitely be interesting for a couple of plays here and there during a game........a throw back to the 2-way iron man........:)

REST OF THE STORY

2. ESAD2-14

ESAD2-14 TexanAmerican

Feel good story, but if I had the chance to go on an expense paid trip to Hawaii with some of my buds like that I'd take it.

Lot of Negative Nancy running around in the comments section though, you'd think we just came off of 2-14 again.

3. bOODRO87

bOODRO87 Time Consumer

So many Pro Bowlers on offense. How did we get so bad in the red zone down the stretch? Frustrating.

4. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

I imagine Peyton's reflex was to throw it over J.J.'s outstretched arms,

And had Peyton thrown it within reach Watt probably sWatts it down! :swatter:

5. rolyat93

rolyat93 Veteran

I can think of a better Bowl to earn respect in.

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  6. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Yay it's our Super Bowl! FML.

7. Vance87

Vance87 Hall of Fame

Just in case people forgot, there are 29 other teams not playing in the Super Bowl this year.

8. BullBlitz

BullBlitz Section 331

I look at it with a different perspective.

We were pretty bad in the red zone. Do these players really deserve to be held out as exceptional? Not really, but someone has to play.

9. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

And we care about those teams why? Loser mentality.

Yay we're better than 26 other teams. Lets sing kumbaya and celebrate.

10. BullBlitz

BullBlitz Section 331

Ah. The "misery loves company" approach.

Not working for me. Repeated chances at home field advantage slipped through our fingers.

That sure didn't happen to 29 other teams.

11. Vance87

Vance87 Hall of Fame

I suppose if we had HFA and lost in the Divisional like the Broncos you would have put a double barrel in your mouth and pulled the trigger.

That's a shame.

12. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Nope, but I'd still be negative about it here. The expectations were high (see 9 pro bowlers) and they did not meet expectations. It was a failed season in my book. They didn't just choke in every big game this season, they got blown out. Last season was a successful season, because they finally won their division, reached the playoffs for the first time, and won their first playoff game (and did it all with a 3rd string rookie QB). This season was all about taking advantage of that experience and taking the next step... they ended up falling down the stairs. There's no way to put a positive spin on what happened this season. It was a complete failure, instead of trying to sugar coat it, just call it what it was.

And I don't think it'll get better anytime soon.. not until we replace Schaub. I put red zone effectiveness squarely on the shoulders of a QB. We've struggled in the red zone during the majority of Schaub's tenure here. He's the reason why we can't cash in down there unless the running game carries him and he's the reason why we have a HOF caliber WR who has never ever had a double digit TD season. What upsets me the most is knowing nothing is going to change anytime soon.. our wagon is hitched to Schaub
    :vincepalm:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  13. rolyat93

rolyat93 Veteran

Yeah, I guess we should never raise expectations for the Texans.

Hey guys, maybe we'll be over .500 next year.:turtle:

14. Vance87

Vance87 Hall of Fame

Man, it must suck to be you guys.

15. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Not really, I prefer to be honest with myself.

I have already lowered my expectations for next season though. I just don't think Schaub is the guy who's going to take us where we all want to go.

16. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Nevermind.

17. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

We were actually not as bad in the red zone as I originally thought. We scored a TD 54.69% of the time, which is up from last season, and also good enough for 14th in the NFL. In 2010, we were ranked 5th in red zone TD efficiency at 62.26%. This past season, we were probably an average red zone team. But 2010 proves that Schaub can lead an effective red zone offense.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

Sorry, I'm one of those guys that tries to twist a positive spin on everything.

18. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

I think there are some people that would actually prefer it, if it led to getting rid of Kubiak & Schaub.

19. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

2010 doesn't prove anything for Schaub.. Schaub was just on the wagon that was being pulled by the work horses. 2010 was when we still had Vonta Leach and was the season of Foster Debut where he had 1,616 rushing yards and 18 TDs

Scoring TDs only 54.9% of the time in the red zone is mediocre and not good enough.. it needs to go up if we're going to end up playing after the probowl... and as of right now in Schaub's tenure here we've only had one season were we were a top red zone team, when Foster was having one of the greatest rushing seasons for a RB. If that's what it's going to take for this team and Schaub to have more success in the red zone, then we need to start looking for his replacement.

20. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

I'm still up in the air with Kubiak so I'll leave him out of this..

However, I would prefer a step back if it led to a bigger step forward. The worst thing that can ever happen in sports is being stuck in mediocrity dying a slow agonizing death. That was the Rockets for the longest time and it killed me, but they made a big move with the James Harden trade and hopefully it'll be the big move that starts to pull them out of the mediocrity zone.

The Astros flat out suck, that's something nobody will argue about, but it doesn't bother me. I'm willing to let them suck and hopefully all that sucking will lead to us drafting some future star players (See Wash. Nats) and we can restock our farm system.

So in short, if we had a wheel fail off the wagon season that made us start looking for another QB, I wouldn't be cheering (I never cheer for my teams to lose), but I wouldn't exactly shed a tear either. Hell look what the Colts got out of their fall on their face season. :foottap: