Texans draft needs

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by DocBar, Mar 23, 2010.

1. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

2. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

I agree with him on most things, CB is our biggest need and replacing Dunta should be our highest priority, and we do have need at RB as well. There's no mention of Pitts because he's not on the team any more and is really only average when he is. This article is really short and pretty generic, there's not much detail here but that's to be expected from an outsider who's writing to everyone instead of the locals.

3. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Any complaints about Pollard's 09 season is mega nitpicking. He was nothing but an angel sent to the Texans by the Gods of Defense.

4. V3rm0nt3r

V3rm0nt3r All Pro

^^^^What he said.^^^^

5. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

LOL, good post there. Now the God of Defense need to guide the Texans in selecting a good CB in the draft!

6. dc_txtech

dc_txtech Subscribed Contributor

Same way we acquired Cush.

7. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

So if we'd spent draft capitol and moved up for Clady I think his issue with Brown would be legitimate. But we didn't. We drafted the the sixth best OLT in the class. It was a good class. And we'd already destroyed one young QB. Duane Brown is what he is. And I have seen no one on here in the last eight years advocating that we move up to get one, an elite left tackle. So we are what we are at the tackles. So Studdard by some formula I have never heard of gets a quarter of a million performance bonus, which means someone at the NFL head quarters agrees with me and Studdard is more than just a "back up". The guy calls the rest of our young pivot men good. So why can't we run the ball ? Y'all don't and won't like it, but if they like Iupati, he's going to be the pick if he falls to them. Iupati just solves too many problems for them to pass up. He finishes, hopefully for the next ten years, the offensive line. And that's worth all the corners and all the running backs they will have a chance to pick over the next ten years in the draft. He'll make everyone on the o-line better. The sum total of the group will out distance each individual player's abilities.

8. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

The formula involves salary and snaps played and does not include merit of play on those snaps.

9. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Even though we have chosen DT (mostly unsuccessfully) so many times, it is one position (a dominant large NT) that could effectively transform the entire state of our D. I've had my eye on Tennessee's Dan Williams for a long time.

Here's an interesting take on why this one pick would serve the Texans well.

10. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Unfortunately the Texans disagree with you & me and the way the pretty much shut down the run says we are wrong and they are right. I hate it when that happens!

11. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

The run is not why you you want a big athletic NT. It's as much, if not more, for the pass rush. With the ability to stuff the middle AND/OR rush the QB, he would be there to free up others..........the other DT, the DEs, open up lanes for LB and safety blitzes, and cut short the secondary's "cover" time.

12. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

His point remains though, it is obviously not the Texans plan to draft a big DT.

I also think a big DT would help against the run, for much the same reasons as with the pass. In short, a big, strong, athletic DT is great for the defense.

13. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I think real good ones that can impact in their rookie year or provide just as much impact as a 1st round DT will be there in the later rounds too though. Anyone outside of Suh doesn't show me anything better than BJ Raji or even Dorsey looked when they were being drafted. For that kind of impact I'd take a DT in the later rounds.

14. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

never saw the guy miss a block on the second level once a play got there. Not one. all year.

15. bckey

bckey Hall of Fame

I want Williams too but I'm wondering if he will even be there at 20. He is the 3rd best dt behind Suh and McCoy and both of those guys will be gone in the top 3 picks of the draft leaving Williams having to make it through the next 16 picks to get to us.