Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans draft for need

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Matt Schaub is our 07/08 2nd rd. pick

this is what they're saying by making this trade w/atlanta. they felt QB was their biggest need, guess they also felt Quinn would be gone. not sure why if they gave up a draft pick to get Matt Schaub why they would'nt do the same for Quinn?

now the focus shifts to the 10th pick w/no 2nd like they had last year (DeMeco Ryans) who saved face for this franchise after making the huge mistake extending Carr with VY right there in their back pocket.

once again the Texans will pass on bpa in favour of need. they will select a cb, mark it down Leon Hall. while you can argue Leon is in fact the bpa @ #10 those of us who follow the draft are not even sure if he is even the top cb (Houston/Revis) little alone bpa.

or​

the Texans surround Matt with a better support group OT/WR to ensure he succeeds. Levi Brown will be gone (any other T prospect would not be a bpa @ #10) if WR is a possiblity with the 10th pick is Ted Ginn Jr. a real possiblity (not bpa)? you can see where I'm going, by making this trade to address a need the Texans have really screwed themselves to taking the bpa (Landry, Brown, Quinn, Peterson) not to mention help in the 2nd & forced to address needs the remainder of the draft.

:drunk:

HuttoKarl

Veteran
I expect a trade down for a first and a second.

If we get to where GB is, then it's quite possible that a CB or WR is the BPA AND fills a big need for us.

Wide Receiver shouldn't have been an issue for the Texans...that whole Eric Moulds thing really made the Texans take two steps back...

kastofsna

Hall of Fame
while you can argue Leon is in fact the bpa @ #10 those of us who follow the draft are not even sure if he is even the top cb (Houston/Revis) little alone bpa.
actually those who follow the draft should know that hall's combine pretty much confirmed that he's the #1 CB on most, if not all, teams' boards.

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
I think our 3 biggest needs now are CB#2, FS, and WR#2.

I'd like to see us take leon hall or reggie nelson now..whether we stay put or trade down...preferably trade down for a 2nd this year or say just give us a 2nd next year instead of a 3rd this year.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
actually those who follow the draft should know that hall's combine pretty much confirmed that he's the #1 CB on most, if not all, teams' boards.
I understand that which is why the Texans will draft him if they stay #10. he's #1 because of his experience, resume if you will & is the most NFL ready to come into the league & start from day 1.

what I'm inferring is over the long term which cb has the most potential upside. In that respect I like Revis a little bit more, & Houston plays with much better strength & speed just lacking the same technique :)

beerlover

Hall of Fame

If we get to where GB is, then it's quite possible that a CB or WR is the BPA AND fills a big need for us.
if you know that & I know that don't you think they (other NFL teams) know that? kinda diminishes the return & the Texans are still drafting for need.

redkoolaid

Practice Squad
I still want Peterson..(even though we dont necessarily neeed him)

I think our offense would rival the Bengals, or the Colts...with

Schaub, AJ, Ahman Green, and AP..

and we could easily go 9-7

and contrary to popular belief...I dont think our defense is THAT bad...

awtysst

Draft Guru
We still need to protect Schaub. If we can, we need to trade down maybe to NE and pick up 2 firsts. I say use pick one on a CB. Then trade the second for a player, plus second this and next year, and a third this year and next. Then with the second pick Kali. Then we have an extra third to look at WR or whatever else we are thinking.

I think our 3 biggest needs now are CB#2, FS, and WR#2.

I'd like to see us take leon hall or reggie nelson now..whether we stay put or trade down...preferably trade down for a 2nd this year or say just give us a 2nd next year instead of a 3rd this year.
I think our biggest priorities are still LT, Center, and DT, but that the ones that will be answered are FS, CB, and WR#2.

rollinstone18

let it bleed
We still need to protect Schaub. If we can, we need to trade down maybe to NE and pick up 2 firsts. I say use pick one on a CB. Then trade the second for a player, plus second this and next year, and a third this year and next. Then with the second pick Kali. Then we have an extra third to look at WR or whatever else we are thinking.
:confused:

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame

You can believe this if you want. I believe you need to hold on to your hat and expect to plug one hole and only one hole with the picks they have remaining. You can expect the trade down, doesn't mean you going to get one.

Agreed beerlover our move yesterday...was very expensive indeed. Those super bowl QB's do not come cheap.

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
No we don't . That is exactly what Kubiak and Smith said with that deal yesterday. Schaub is so good, has such a keen pocket awearness, such a supierior release, that he doesn't need no stinking first and second round tallent surrounding him to get the club to five hundred. They got their eight starters for '07. they don't need Kalil to make this thing work...just Schaub.

New England is going to stand pat and take LB/o-line or LB/DB. Bellechick isn't going to help us out of this hole. And you're not going to get a day one pick for DC. They'll wait untill, as the Texans have done in the past, the Texan's cut him and pick him off the waiver wire.

I was wondering the exact same thing.

Are you serious?

No we don't . That is exactly what Kubiak and Smith said with that deal yesterday. Schaub is so good, has such a keen pocket awearness, such a supierior release, that he doesn't need no stinking first and second round tallent surrounding him to get the club to five hundred. They got their eight starters for '07. they don't need Kalil to make this thing work...just Schaub.

New England is going to stand pat and take LB/o-line or LB/DB. Bellechick isn't going to help us out of this hole. And you're not going to get a day one pick for DC. They'll wait untill, as the Texans have done in the past, the Texan's cut him and pick him off the waiver wire.
I guess you didn't listen to the presser today, they are expecting to have a trade done with Carr in the next few days per Rick Smith

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
I still want Peterson..(even though we dont necessarily neeed him)

I think our offense would rival the Bengals, or the Colts...with

Schaub, AJ, Ahman Green, and AP..

and we could easily go 9-7

and contrary to popular belief...I dont think our defense is THAT bad...
Well they could purge the '08 first and the '07 ten and go up and get him... that would just about do it. We'll be in a hole for five years. Hold your water and he just might fall. I enjoy watching members of this board over valuing tallent. We'll be lucky to get to 7-9 next season...if they get lucky and hit on a couple of day two guys or free agents. At this point you need to pray every night that the thirty something legs on the roster hold up...much less be in contention for anything at the end of the season. They make it for sixteen games and stay competitive, we'll be doing very well.

Exithios

Waterboy
I guess you didn't listen to the presser today, they are expecting to have a trade done with Carr in the next few days per Rick Smith
Rick's exact words,

"We're working with his representatives and David to find a place for him to continue his NFL career," Smith said. "Matt is our starting quarterback. We're trying to help David find another place. We're trying to trade him today, maybe the next couple of days."

Just for the record. :)

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
Well I see no reason why Oakland would do this...if you believe Hulk 75. all Oakland has gotta do is wait. Now you're telling me they're going to get a day two pick for the guy with some other club...alrighty...we'll see. Deals in place we shouldn't have to wait too long.

Gamehorn25

Waterboy
I have just 1 Question:

Schaub is going to be throwing to AJ and ... and... and... I can't think of anyone!

We have a #1WR and 2 #3 WR what about a #2 WR????

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I have just 1 Question:

Schaub is going to be throwing to AJ and ... and... and... I can't think of anyone!

We have a #1WR and 2 #3 WR what about a #2 WR????

We can pick up Jason Hill in the third or fourth round...

dude is going to be good IMO.

:)

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
I've got a feeling they've been targeting Ginn Jr. all along. No one seen him run since the bowl gane. He can be our next Jupru. One blunder stacked on top of another.

Gamehorn25

Waterboy
I say take Landry/ Nelson, whichever is available at 10. I hope we can trade down. I fully trust the FO will handle the WR situation. They may have Kevin Walter be our #2 WR. Who knows?