Texans Draft Breakdown

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by eyeinthesky, Mar 20, 2006.

1. eyeinthesky

eyeinthesky Guest

from a draft blog.
    http://tradedown.blogspot.com/2006/03/team-spotlight-houston-texans.html

2. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Id add Richard Marshall to the other possibilities in the 3rd, and Nick Mangold to other possibilities in the 2nd.

I like the Picks. I am a bit "wary" of Donte Whitner though. I mean..he looks great, he has good physical skills.. he isnt afraid to hit (which I like in a DB).. and he is a ball hawk. What I dont like..and this is more of a "superstition" is that he isnt really a lock at FS. What I mean is..he could play SS, FS, or CB. Ive just seen heard about too many "tweeners" like this that come in and dont excel at any of their possible positions.

I wouldnt be unhappy with the pick though. He is an intriguing prospect, and could end up playing CB or FS for us.. both of which are need positions. (He will most likely go to FS though)

3. Dunta_23

Dunta_23 All Pro

It seems as though a lot of the DB prospects are projected at a few positions....just to name a few

Michael Huff
    Donte Whitner
    Jason Allen
    Cedric Griffin
    Jimmy Williams

They all have talent, its just you have to put them in a position to maximize it rather than to just fill a need...but a multidimensional DB never hurts as a lot of injuries come down during the year

4. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

i think it was a good analysis of our needs(except him saying we need a fb). dont particularly like any of the 2nd or 3rd picks- but agree that it looks certain we'll take reggie now

5. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

two biggest needs remain Center & MLB :rolleyes:

6. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

We need Reggie Bush

7. beerlover

I would trade the #1 overall pick in a NY minute to the Jets for their 1st rd. pick next year, #1 pick this year (#4) & their 2nd this year (#35) then select A.J. Hawk & hope Mangold slips to the 2nd.:)

8. PokerStar

PokerStar Veteran

Beerlover there is no way I pick AJ Hawk with the #4 pick considering who will still be around. Bush, Ferguson, and Williams are the top non QB guys. Now if we went to four, most people are pretty sure and the Titans are saying they will look to address QB in the draft. They can end up with a stud at 3 leaving Saints and Jets to pick Bush, Fergy, or Williams. Hopefully in your scenario Bush goes to the Jets, and the Saints take Fergy leaving us with Williams. Also the Jets could just trade me their first next year, and 3rd this year and if I thought I could still get Wiliams I take it.

9. Eyeguy

Eyeguy Veteran

Colledge will not be there in the 3rd. If you want to secure the OT spot (most imporant in this draft) you need to use #33 or trade 65&66 to move up.

10. beerlover

no way the Texans need to draft another defensive linemen with the 1st pick two years in a row. even though Mario seems like a great prospect we now have in place our line, what we don't have in place is a competent core of LBs to run the 4-3 and A.J. Hawk is the one player in the draft who could walk into camp take the position via skill & leadership never looking back.

for trading down & giving up Bush I would need the Jets #1 & #2 picks this year as well as next years #1. As far as taking Hawk with the 4th pick, I would be scared to let him slide to the 5th, 6th or 7th picks, the last thing you want to do at the top of the draft is to get cute and lose your man, just look at what happend last year.

just wanted to update A.J. Hawk's 40 time from Ohio States Pro Day- A.J. Hawk LB Hawk was clocked at 4.49 and 4.42 in the 40. and let it be known this is my own opinion and in no way reflects what I think the Texans will do, more like shoulda coulda, they always do something different :twocents:

11. TexanAddict

TexanAddict Texan 'til I Die

This is the way I believe things should go for us in the draft:

1st: Draft either Bush or Mario. I think the best idea would be to get Mario, but I will not cry if Bush is the pick.

2nd: Select the best O-lineman available out of Justice, McNeill, Winston, Mangold, or Jean-Gilles. Davin Joseph maybe a reach here, I'm not sure. The O-line must be addressed and can't wait any longer, at least one of these guys will probably be available, get an instant started here.

3rd: With the two picks we have here two positions of either MLB, FS, C, or TE should be addressed. I'm leaning toward Kai Parham at MLB and possibly Greg Enslinger at C, unless one of the top safeties or TEs is available.

I think we should look to DE with our 4th beyond that we should be looking toward depth.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks we need to pick a WR at #33. This is a weak class for WRs and we could get something adequate in FA if absolutely necessary, think Ike Hilliard or Peerless Price. A pick shouldn't go toward WR until the second day in my opinion.:twocents:

If done properly this could be a very good draft for us. Let me know what you think.

12. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

Let this man keep going. I would love this draft if it happened. I'm starting to accept Bush now, but Whitner is my second favorite FS available after Ko Simpson. I like Wilkinson and Colledge.

13. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

If Colledge is available in the third round and we dont take him I am going to freak out. He would be a huge steal and the perfect fit for our team.

14. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Give me a Corner in the second, instead of a safety and I would take that draft

15. Kookus

Kookus Rookie

I like it, what about 4 -6, #4 A CB? or Chester? #5 BPA? Linebacker maybe #6 QB Prospect, wouldn't Reggie McNeil be nice here... He could work out as a WR and emergency QB.