Texans' DLine going Lean & Mean

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by IDEXAN, May 19, 2010.

1. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Hoping to create a more effective pass rush, the Texans' defensive line will have a new, slimmer look this season.

The Texans ranked 25th in the league in 2009 with just 30 sacks. The four starting defensive lineman — ends Antonio Smith and Mario Williams and tackles Amobi Okoye and Shaun Cody — combined for 151/2 of those sacks.
    But reporting to organized team activities this week, each of the four starters had shed a significant amount of weight. All told, they lost a whopping 59 pounds. Leading the way was right tackle Amobi Okoye, who lost 32 pounds by conditioning twice a day in Katy with his younger sister during his time off.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7011653.html

2. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

OK...this has me a bit concerned. Is this "we just got more athletic and faster" smaller or "Jason Giambi it musta been something I ate in Japan" smaller.

Amobi losing 32 pounds by working out with his baby sister in Katy...seriously? The official team site has him at 296 and nfl.com at 315. Is he in the 266-285 range. Jeez.

3. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

I'd say that Okoyes loss of 32 pounds is extreme. What does that put him at,
    'bout 275 or lower ? I for sure like lighter and quicker, but if he's this light he might be almost too small to play inside for rushing-defense ?

4. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Kubiak said at Monday or Tuesday's OTA's that Okoye was around 15 lbs lighter than his playing weight last year.

5. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Kubiak said after the first day of OTAs that Amobi had lost about 15 lbs and had weighed in at 286 lbs. Not sure where the writer got 32 lbs. He indicated this was Amobi's initiative because he was more comfortable playing lighter and that they were not going to let him get much if any lighter.

6. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

He was listed at 315 last year. So almost 30lbs in a year. Personally, I don't think he was ever 315. If he was, it wasn't for long.

7. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

Kinda funny that this was mentioned Sunday . Okoye played in the Senior Bowl at ... i think ... 289 . He was a terror because of his quickness and made his money that week .

8. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Well, I hope it helps him. I think he and Cody were decent against the run most of last season and I wouldn't want to risk a drop in performance in the run game for an extra sack or two.

Hopefully that doesn't happen

9. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    If Okaye dropping weight means he's trying to become an Antonio Smith clone then I'm for it. As much as I'd like to burn on him for being overweight (315? Not even....) I really admire him for getting slim and trying SOMETHING to live up to his draft stature.

10. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Deljuan Robinson playing more on run downs wouldn't be a bad thing... Particularly, if a rested and explosive Okoye is rotating in on passing downs.

11. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Honestly, I can believe that he was 315, because more than anything he seem to have lost quickness and probably wanted improve on getting pushed around. If my memory of his college is correct he lost weight before the season he broke out.

12. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I don't believe the 315 lb figure. Doesn't pass the eyeball test. And what figures is the reporter using? If he started at 315 lbs he would need to be 283 now for 32 lbs lost not the 286 lbs reported by Kubiak.

13. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Not a huge fan of the small but quick DL philosophy, however if we're gonna do it then we might as well go all-in towards that goal.

Texans try to mimic the Colts in every respect it looks like.

14. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

Everything except for that whole 'playoffs' thing... :(

15. Ole Miss Texan

Playoffs!? The playoffs are overrated.

16. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

And dominating the division.

A few years ago someone posted a satire piece on the Texans where they predicted the record and the ystarted with 0-2 because of the Colts.

I said it was all funny and satire except for that, which was true, and got a negative rep for it with the comment "Any Given Sunday"

In retrospect, looks like I was right.

I would LOVE to destroy the Colts twice this year. Theyve domintaed the AFC South, and I'd love to mimic that

17. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

So it's sounding like he's in the 280s somewhere. Anyway that should make Okoye a handfull at 3-tech on third and long, but he's gonna get his azz shoved around on rushing downs. He already was at the previous, heavier weight, whatever it was.

18. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

Yes, but every armchair GM knows that every DT must be at least 315 lbs to be worth a damn.

He always played better at a smaller weight because of his athleticism. That's what made him so good. Then he gets to the NFL where everybody is convinced you must be 300 lbs to play DT. Not true.

19. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Nah, I don't want Amobi Ok0ye to be 300+ lbs. I'm perfectly OK with him being 286 and I think he'll be a better player because of it. I just happen to think he'd be an even better player if he had a 320 lb. immovable object playing right next to him. The Texans disagree.

20. Ole Miss Texan

I would much rather see Okoye at 286 lbs. I think that is his optimal playing weight. 283lbs is way too light. This extra 3 lbs is what is seperating him from stardom and bustville. He'll have just the right amount of strength and speed. At 283 he's much too weak to take on the 310lb O-linemen. He might do okay against the linemen that weigh about 308lbs but that's about it, at best. It's really quite simple. If he plays at 286, he will get at least 6 sacks next season. 283? 2 sacks, at best.

:dangit:

Hardcore Texan likes this.