Texans Defense giving up BIG PLAYS

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Blake, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Blake

Blake MMQB

Can we discuss the defenses inability to make the opponent drive down the field and earn the points?

I know that is a priority each week, and we seem to still have a problem giving up big plays. Mostly on run plays up the gut. What is the problem here?

2. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

safeties

3. ChrisG

ChrisG Road Fan

the problem was the DBs were out of position or sleeping on almost every big play

4. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

You wanted Frank Bush to have a more aggressive scheme, this is what you get with a more aggressive scheme. Take the good with the bad. The guys on defense are very talented, but also very young and inexperienced. Break down each individual players experience at the pro level, and it's easy to see.

And I'm sick to death of watching a team methodically drive down the field on a read and react defense. Yeah, now they a giving up BIG PLAYs. But that is to be expected. They are also flying to the ball, and producing more 3 and outs.

This defense is going to do nothing but get better.

dalemurphy and Hooston Texan like this.
  5. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

not covering players really bugs me, that needs to never happen again!

6. False Start

False Start On # 69

I told my brother when we pinned them that deep, that I had a feeling the Tacks were going to score a TD......then it happened. I was so p!$$ed! :headhurts:

On the Chris Johnson TD pass, I just shook my head.

Its definitely something the Texans need to address, and quick.

7. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

I think we were trying to wear out chris johnson early, did he have big play in the 4th?

8. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

I need to rewatch the game.... But how many times has it been on B. McCains side of the field on those big plays? I remember thinking to myself on a couple different occasions that he is always out of position and being manhandled as the RB shoots right by him.

9. BattleRedRaider

BattleRedRaider All Pro

Yes, the Rocky technique. Tire them out early, win in the final round.

Then Schaub takes the microphone and says "IF I CAN CHANGE, AND YOU CAN CHANGE, EVERYBODY CAN CHANGE!"

Ryan and Hardcore Texan like this.
  10. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Young, inexperienced, aggressive defenses will give up big plays.

11. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

I saw Reeves was inactive today, hopefully he gets in the mix next week. I still think we have the potential to be a few points per game better on D than last year, just have to cut out the mental lapses.

12. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

We're 1-1, which is more than I thought we'd be before today's game. Our defense gave up some big plays, but so did the Titans defense, which is supposed be much better than ours. That kind of stuff goes both ways.

13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

How many big plays did we give up?

How many negative plays did we force?

I know it doesn't equal out on the score board, but we'll get better forcing those negative plays, and give up less big plays.

But the Texans are not the only team that gave up big plays today, or last week.

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Truth.........

:goodpost:

15. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

They did.

They took Barber out and put Busing in. Barber busted his assignment on that play. If Johnson had lined up as a RB, Barber was supposed to Blitz. He got so blitz happy that he never checked where Johnson was. He just assumed he was in the backfield.

At least, that's what I take away from Kubiak's comments along with what I saw in the game.

thunderkyss likes this.
  16. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    I guess I'd rather have a combo of big plays given up and big plays made than a :d: that sits back and makes an offense take the 7 yard dink-n-dunk all the way down the field. I like what I see when they make plays, if they can get the unit gelled and not missing assignments (or you know....WHERE a guy is lined up) then I think we'll see the big plays dissappear. If they rachet up the long bombs this :d: is going to get scary!!!!

17. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

I'll give up 2 (I'm willing to bet that no coverage play doesn't happen again) plays a game instead of 5 agonizingly long drives every game. This defense so far has done MORE than its fair share to keep us in the game. If we get our hands on the ball while its in the air, and force bad throws I'm good with it. The difference between this years defense and those in the past is this year's defense gives up one or two long (and I mean long) runs a game, last years defense gave up 9-10 10 yard runs a game. We don't let them hold onto the ball this way and that is an improvement. Do we need to work on a few things, sure. Gap responsibility is a little bit of a problem but when was the last time we saw a team have 15 negative plays?

When Tenn had the ball at the end of the game I was confident we COULD stop them. In the past, if we gave the other team the ball with more than 30 seconds left, I never had confidence that we would stop them.

This team is a work in progress, but at least there is something to progress to. Last year it was just "well we need to figure out a way not to give up 6 yards per play every single play". Now we're worrying about fixing two or three big mental errors in a game. MUCH better.

Mike

18. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

Did anyone see ho well Busing did the rest of the game? I'm curious is he made more mistakes, I know he had a dropped interception, but wasn't sure how he played the rest of the game.

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I agree. IT's not like we've been playing like this for 4 years or anything. This is new to the 11 guys on the field, just like it's new for us. in between the big plays, we should all be able to see that we've got what it takes to play this game, at this level.

I don't know that it will take the entire season before the big plays go away. I hope not, but if it does, it does.

This is one of the reasons we show up strong at the end of the season, and play big boi football to finish 8-8. I think this is proof that the heat is on in Houston, and 8-8 isn't enough.

& I like it.

New England gave up big plays, Tennessee gave up big plays, Indianapolis will give up big plays tonight, Pittsburgh gave up big plays.... that's what happens, when you play to win the game. HELLO!!!

[​IMG]

20. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

My thoughts exactly.

Give em false hope, then take the W home with you.

The guys were flying to the ball and punching back :bat: for a change.

No softness from our guys in this game.

:coffee:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009