Texans defense compared to what I saw yesterday

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gafftop, Jan 16, 2011.

1. gafftop

gafftop Hall of Fame

Watched the Steelers Ravens yesterday and I am not sure we have one player on defense that would start for either team. If Wade thinks he has the talent in place to compete he is wrong. He needs at least 3 new starters on this team and I don't want to here about Barwin and Cushing beign two of them because of them not playing or Cushing was just beginning to round into shape. Cushing may be a one season wonder . Remember when they decided they were set with Slaton and just needed a veteran like Brown? Slaton may not even be on the team next year. Wade thinking he has even close to the players he needs reminds me of Kubiak saying he had a QB in Carr. If Wade is counting on Mario to step up and stay healthy I think it will be another long season. i expect to hear that because of the labor agreement we (the Texans) really couldn't do what we wanted to. The management of this team priority is not to have a super bowl quality team. They showed that last year when in a no cap year they did aboslutely NOTHING. I can't believe the coaches really thought they had the team to compete last year. I am not sure what they are seeing in the films that I am not seeing. Maybe the water or air in Reliant has effected their brains. Or as has been said on this board before maybe they just don't have a clue. The Texans fans deserve more than just no price increase this year. i think we need at a minimum the following; 1 A shut down corner, 2 A proven noseguard 3 An impact LB 4 A Real number 2 or better yet a 1a receiver. Don't want to hear about JJ being that guy. If he gets better next year fine, but don't put your eggs in that basket. This may seem like alot but half those move should have been made LAST YEAR. Again i am not satisfied with just no price increase. thanks

2. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

No need to attack him if you disagree. Just post your counter.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2011
  3. DexmanC

DexmanC Hall of Fame

The Texans went 2-8 over their final 10 games, and their head coach still
    was not fired. 'Nuff said.

4. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

Texans shitty CBs are on the same shitty level as the Ravens shitty CBs.

5. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

This.

The Texans have players that could start for either the Steelers or the Ravens. The difference is the Texans players are not deployed properly nor well coached. These players would look much improved in Steeler or Raven unis.

6. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Yep! At this point, all we can hope for is that Wade & his coaches do some actual teaching. He has proven that he can design a good defense, we just have to see what he can do with the players we have here. Without a CBA, there will be no free agent signings by anyone. And the draft is a crapshoot. Hopefully, he can improve our draft record of defensive players also.

7. gafftop

gafftop Hall of Fame

thank you
    Obviously just my opinion.

8. gafftop

gafftop Hall of Fame

LOL. Could be a coin toss but give me the Ravens' any day.

9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I don't understand what Wade was supposed to say. Even if he believes he needs a complete overhaul, he knows he won't be able to get 11 new players in one offseason, especially with all the doubt about the CBA.

I'm sure he is hoping McNair & Kubiak will put their money where their mouths have been the last few weeks, & we will be very active in FA.

No reason to openly tell the 8 or 9 guys who will remain starters that they have no faith in them.

10. gafftop

gafftop Hall of Fame

I pray you are correct. If not going to be another LONG season or short season depending on how you look at it.

11. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Only if D is made the priority and he has "majority say" (over Kubiak AND Smith) as to the order, position and specific player to be chosen. If finances have an "over-riding affect" on the choices, it can be expected that draft choices will have little impact on the 2011 team. For the most part, going after those "cheap diamonds in the rough" have not served us very well. For that matter, those expensive diamonds have usually materialize just as well. I hope the blind squirrels are not still roaming our midst come this Draft.......or, for that matter, FA whenever it opens up.

[​IMG]

12. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

From what I've heard, Kubiak had the call on offensive players, and Smith on defensive players. Hopefully, Wade will have the call on defensive players now.

13. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

If that is so, that much more reason to question how the heck Smith has managed to survive.

14. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Yep!

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I'm holding out hope that it isn't over with Rick Smith.

In my dreams, McNair put him on notice, he's got to get Bailey or Aso to sign with the Texans, or he's gone.

16. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

So who figures out whether they should draft an offensive or defensive player at a certain spot.

Anyway, if this is true, Kubiak is doing a way better job than Smith. I mean there are high draft picks and decent FA money all over the defense while the offense in terms of draft poistion and Fa money really is not that highly invester.

17. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

I have to admit, I was thinking along the same lines as Gafftop yestarday. I think if you put each teams players on a sheet of paper and listed thier physical gifts out, like 40 yard dash and bench press numbers, you wouldn't find much difference. However, the attitude of the players is another story. The players for both the Ravens and Steelers are significantly more physical then the Texans. Its easy to see, just watch the tackling.

The one player who I thought would fit in was Cushing. The problem is that Cushing maybe a juicer. Maybe the reason he was so good last year and so bad this year wasn't because of the suspension, maybe he really was taking roids. I hope not, I hope it was the time off due to the suspension. Time will tell.

The difference is the Ravens have a really good front 7 and a hall of fame Safety named Ed Reed.

18. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Is this from an internet article, or from a radio talk show? On 2009 draft day, it was suggested that Cushing was a Frank Bush pick. And I'm certain I've read Kubiak taking credit for Mario.

Really, this reeks of (more) Kubiak apologizing. If it's good, it's on Gary. If it's bad, it's on somebody else. How can Gary be so ignorant on the defensive side of the ball, but design an offense to attack defenses? It just doesn't add up.

19. J_R

J_R Hall of Fame

Probably from Lance Zierlein. But I wont speak for him. That's where I read it/heard it.

20. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I don't remember where I heard it. May have been on here. May have been on one of the blogs...

But, it would not surprise me if Smith made the calls on the DB's.