Texans Defense and the Read Option -- Texans Chick

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Playoffs, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

In Wade we trust? The Texans defense and the read option
    Stephanie Stradley

:texans chick:

2. bayoudreamn

bayoudreamn Veteran

Defense against the read option will be interesting this year. I saw all the collegiate program names that were visited by NFL coaches this summer to learn how to defense these systems. I wonder why none went to the the military academies to learn how to defense options? I know those schools don't run the "read-option" or the "pistol" or any of those trendy names that are used now but those programs run the triple option and are considered, I think, the experts on option football and they've run it and defensed it successfully for years with athletes that may not be as gifted and almost certainly don't apply as much time to football as the top football schools

3. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

The same way defenses have beat any "option" based offense over the past 100 years... hit the QB hard and hit the QB often. Once he pulls the ball down and runs he is no longer protected and is fair game to get smashed in the mouth until he decides to quit.

4. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

The ultimate goal I have seen for teams successfully defending against the "read option" is to effectively use a "spy" system to contain the QB from running....and force him to beat you with his arm.

5. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

& with Cushing, Sharpton, Manning, or Swearinger being that spy, we should be alright.

None of those read option teams went undefeated either, so it's not like they can't be beat.