Texans' D more a rebuild than a remodel

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Aug 7, 2011.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

It's good that it will be more of a rebuild.............I don't want to recognize much of anything from last year's D.:wadepalm:

Phillips tears up Houston's defense, putrid last season.
    By Dale Robertson

HOUSTON — Not quite a week into training camp, the Texans’ offense — with all of three new faces — is doing post-graduate level work, even with injuries and illness creating some disruptions.

The defense, on the other hand, is barely finishing freshman orientation. In addition to the upheaval in the locker room, the philosophy and the terminology is new for everyone.

This is what happens when a team plays as ineptly as the Texans did last season, finishing last in pass defense and 29th in points allowed as soaring playoff hopes gave way to a sinking 6-10 reality.

“It’s a whole new defense,” said free-agent acquisition Danieal Manning, a safety acquired from the Chicago Bears.

Adds defensive end Antonio Smith: “The calls are different, and the names of things are different. You have to reteach yourself everything you’ve learned over your entire career. But you’ve got to be open-minded. You can’t resist, because we didn’t have much success last year.”

What’s happening in the Texans’ case is a nearly total, top-to-bottom makeover. Just one position coach, the defensive line’s Bill Kollar, kept his job.

This wasn’t a house cleaning. This was a tear-down.

Bush’s replacement, Wade Phillips, began his NFL coaching career in Houston in 1976. He brought with him the 3-4 defense he first deployed 30 years ago this summer as a rookie coordinator under his father, Bum, in New Orleans.

Asked if the Texans are the toughest rehab project he has yet encountered, Phillips smiled.

“You usually get hired because things weren’t going too well before you got there,” he said. “It’s the same kind of challenge here as everywhere else. I think we started five rookies that first season in New Orleans.”

It appears the Texans will start only one, top draft choice J. J. Watt, at left defensive end. But Mario Williams and Connor Barwin are “rookie” outside linebackers and Glover Quin is a “rookie” strong safety. These are major transitions.

Just ask Quin.

“As a corner, you’re mostly just playing your receiver,” he said. “As a safety, you have to play tight ends, you have to read the run game, you have to read the passing game, you have to cover bigger bodies.”

Defensive tackle Earl Mitchell, in turn, is adjusting to being a full-time nose guard, the fulcrum in the 3-4. And outside linebacker Brian Cushing has moved inside, where he’ll be sharing turf with DeMeco Ryans.

Ryans is coming off a nearly lost season after he tore an Achilles tendon early, while Cushing is still rehabbing from offseason knee surgery.

It could be a while before they’re on the field together, although Cushing is expected to be 100 percent for the season opener.

In the interim, Williams is arguably Phillips’ major individual project as he tries to find another quarterback hunter in the mold of Dallas’ DeMarcus Ware.

“The technique things are different,” said Williams, who has spent a good bit of time studying Ware on film. “I’m really excited, but I’ve got to (pay attention) in the classroom and focus on working on the fundamentals.”

Corner Johnathan Joseph and Manning, although proven veterans worthy of big-dollar contracts, were hardly known to their new teammates — or each other — just a week ago.

“I’m kind of coaching and learning at the same time,” Joseph said.

The former Bengal, Joseph, and the former Bear, Manning, are making a strong impression.

“I can already see that they’re going to be a vocal presence out there as well as a physical one,” cornerback Kareem Jackson said. “It’s going to be exciting.”

And, from a results standpoint, very, very different ... hopefully.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/cowboys/article/Texans-D-more-a-rebuild-than-a-remodel-1751818.php#ixzz1ULXAxt9J

2. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

good find :).

3. noxiousdog

noxiousdog All Pro

To me, this has the feel of when the saints brought in gregg williams, overhauled their defense and won the superbowl.

they were accompanied by an a absurdly fight turnover margin that they havent gotten since, but theyve still been really good.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

4. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

plus there was a quote from Wade somewhere about Mario.. He said he noticed something about when he stood up, he would take a step back first and then go.

something along that lines

5. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

If Phillips can turn the Texans defenders into an effective 3-4 defense by the
    time we face Indy in the season-opener, he is for sure a bona fide NFL Defense genius.

6. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

At the risk of being a buzzkill, the fact that the Texans D is being rebuilt and essentially will be starting four rookies should temper expectations, especially for the first quarter of the season when players are still learning their new roles.

A player like Peyton Manning will be licking his chops in anticipation of picking apart an untested defense.

7. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Probably not a terribly unrealistic view. But, on the other hand, Manning may be left licking his wounds while the Texans D is licking THEIR chop in anticipation of picking apart an untested Painter offense.

8. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Good Lord, where've I been? Looks like that neck surgery was pretty significant.

Does anyone know when Manning's target return date is?

Will he definitely miss the first game?

9. Kimmy

Kimmy RealGirls LvFB!

They are discussing our D over in the Colts forum

http://www.colts.com/forums/index.php?/topic/774-houston-texans/

10. Kimmy

Kimmy RealGirls LvFB!

11. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

JJ Watt, but I don't think any other rookies are starters. Who do you have as rookie starters?

12. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

yeah, where have you been?
    :)
    Manning, Peyton is currently on the PUP list...
    from RotoWorld...

13. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

The article in the op mentions that Mario Williams and Connor Barwin are "rookie" outside linebackers and Glover Quin is a "rookie" strong safety. That's why I used the word "essentially."

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  14. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

I can buy Barwin and Quinn but Mario is a 5 year veteran and we expect him to have a much better season than especially the last season and most of the others.

Even then, I think the difference between starting actual rookies and just moving players to different yet similar spots is pretty wide and large.

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I think some people are making too big a deal about some of the position changes.

Quin is going to be fine at safety, he's a zone CB.... it's not that big of a transition.

Mario has played standing for us on several occasions, he's also dropped into coverage & looked pretty good doing it, plenty of times.

Connor, yeah, he's essentially a rookie.

I think the defense is going to be much better, much sooner than most people think.

Why?

Because those guys want to get out there & get after the ball. Like they did in 2009. Wade is going to let them do that, let them do what they've trained their whole lives to do.

Not that wait & see crap we've played for most of our existence.

16. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Solid post. I absolutely despise "read and react." Please, football gods, let's see some attacking D in Houston!

17. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Wade mentioned one of his prior teams(New Orleans, I think) started 4 true rookies. I think KJ will benefit from having Joseph and Manning on field. I also think Quin wil be bettwer than safeties we had last season so KJ will be better. Or maybe not.

18. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Manning will be licking his chops --to get the blood off.

19. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Five.

20. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

LMAO, some of these posters make no sense:

lol, wut.