Texans/Cowgirl notes

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by real, Aug 23, 2007.

1. real

real Guest

:king:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5076944.html

2. Exithios

Exithios Veteran

We all know what the Coboy's game plan will be - win at any cost. We know that is just how bad they want it.

How bad do the Texans want it? Will they blow the dust off of some of their blitz packages and open up the offensive play book a bit more?

It will be interesting to see how the coaching staff approaches this game considering it took them half the regular season last year to make any attempt at rushing the passer from a play calling stand point. We have yet to see a breathing, much less dominating, pass rush in the off season so I am headed into this preseason game a bit sceptical of us taking the same, tired approach.

Here's to hoping that the rain has washed away the silt.

My $0.02

3. real

real Guest

If I were the Texans, honestly, I'd stick to what I've been doing...slowly implementing new things from game to game...

4. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

True. We still have players to evaluate. Cook, Frye, the Williams kid at WR, Harrison, Mitchell, Hutchins, and McCleon need more reps against good competition. Dreessen & Steele are still neck & neck for the 4th TE/ST/FB spot. Porter has yet to take any game snaps at QB.

Yeah, it would be "nice" to get the win, but we have much work to get done before the Chiefs come to town. And even if we win, they bluestar followers will all chant, "Its just preseason, who cares?"

5. real

real Guest

Exactly.

I'm more concerned about getting out of this game with as few injuries as possible.

A win would be nice, but I'd like see some good football being played by our guys first and foremost.

6. TEXANSTAILGATER

TEXANSTAILGATER Veteran

I just want a good showing and see more progress. The score in pre-season is near the bottom of the list of my concerns.

7. Exithios

Exithios Veteran

It isn't the "win" I am concerned with. It's having the ability to fend off the Cowboy's desire to pummel us like Rosie O'Donnell at lunch hour in the local Golden Coral.

As concerned as we all may or may not be with the win, I do not want to watch us take sacks, runs for 10 yard losses, throw interceptions for touchdowns, and any other gloom and doom in the name of implementation and conservation.

To watch us play conservatively during a constant bull rush and stay in a soft cover 2 while Romo is throwing rocks for touchdowns would be a blasphemes farce to put it lightly.

Jerry Jones feels like he has something to prove to his fan base and the Texans are the perfect show-pony.

To have any single member of the Texans wine to the media about "they hit too hard, it's only preseason" will be a shame and outright embaressment. I don't want to be another Denver.

My $0.02

8. Shaft75

Shaft75 Site Contributor

Golden Coral... or you could say Gold Cup.

9. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

No Terrance Newman on Sat.

per www.kffl.com

10. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

I've never understood the Cowboy hate. Always been a 'Boys fan since I was 5.

I guess its being younger than most of the posters here. I don't remember ever meeting an Oilers fan in my life.

11. bigbrewster2000

bigbrewster2000 4th Infantry

It definantly goes back to days of the Oilers. The Oilers and Cowboys players hated each other and that was mirrored by the fans. It has just spilled over to the Texans, since alot of us remember that hatred that the players had for each other.

It doesn't help that a good majority of Cowboy fans are totally obnoxious and easily disliked.

12. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

I was pretty neutral on the Boys; till I moved to Dallas. ALL hardcore Boys fans are just plain uber-annoying.

13. Buffi2

Buffi2 Site Contributor

Consider us "met.":shades:

Truth.:pirate:

14. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

IIRC< teh Cowboys have been doing a lot of blitzing in the preseason. Playing the Texans o-line (known throughout the league for not being able to stop a blitz), I suspect MS and the o-line are going to get a real test this weekend. It should be really interesting to see how they man-up to the challenge.

15. Exithios

Exithios Veteran

I almost expect to see alot of dump-offs and screen passes to keep Schaub from getting annihilated before the regular season begins.

Our running game will likely vary from dives to toosses to keep the run blitzers honest.

I don't reserve much hope for our o-lines ability to hold back the blitz consistently (improved or not) but surely the coaching staff is just as weary and have taken the extra precaution in their play calling.

16. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

I love that dude, that's one kick-ass mentality :)

17. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I agree with Xtru and some others about working in some reps for some guys, slowly work in some wrinkles and get out as injury free as possible. A win over the cowgurls is always nice, but I will be more fired up about that in 4 years...

As far was hating the 'Gurls, my hatred runs much deeper than them. I hate everything that is Dallas.. The city, the mavs, the stars and if the Rangers actually played in Dallas probably them too...

Make the world a better place... punch a dallasite in the face...(unless they're a Texan, Rockets or 'Stros fan - of course).

18. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

I think this will definitely be a run-first game, with like you said, dump-offs and screen passes. Hopefully the offense can get a rhythm going and then open up the game with longer passes to Daniels and Johnson.

Defense will be the key, though. They need to be able to stop those third-down conversions. The Cowboys aren't the Cardinals 2nd string, and they aren't playing like preseason. This will be a much more difficult game for them. If Okoye and Mario have worked out their gameplan, I hope to see them putting Romo on his rump.

19. sakebomb

sakebomb Hall of Fame

We don't have to worry about that stuff. :spy:

Carr isn't here anymore.

20. Dallas_Texan

Dallas_Texan Veteran

I agree with everything about wanting to just keep players healthy, getting in another week of player evaulation while we can, but call me selfish....I live in Dallas now, so I just want to kick the snot out of the Cowboys, or I'm going to hear about it ALL YEAR LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like I have all this year when we got stomped. :gun: