Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans could go after Lepsis...

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
BuffSoldier said:
True, but do we want a LT that can only play at that top level for 3 years.
Yes, if that's what is available. As I said in the post you quoted, a veteran tackle could give the Texans time to develop young lineman. Three years of top level LT play sounds pretty good to me.

aj.

All Pro
I wouldn't call Lepsis a "top" level left tackle but he's very good and would certainly help our situation since he's familiar with the system. Put him at LT with Chester at RT and I wouldn't complain at all. Too bad they don't have Wade's money to give him. The age is a bit of a concern but that's mitigated by the experience and his durability. He hasn't missed a start in something like 7 years so I would be upset if there wasn't active interest by the Texans...

BuffSoldier

Veteran
Lucky said:
Yes, if that's what is available. As I said in the post you quoted, a veteran tackle could give the Texans time to develop young lineman. Three years of top level LT play sounds pretty good to me.
But thats the point, if that was all available,then that would be a great choice, but this years draft is stuffed with big name OTs. Whether it be Ferguson or Eric Winston... I think a top tackle that can protect Carr for 10-11 years is better than one who will go down hill after 3.

CoachJim

Waterboy
Vinny said:
Can you imagine the Rams having our first overall this year and next year if we did that Pace deal last year?
In hindsight, so would have sucked. For the love of God he (Pace) was a tackle ... I can't see him making our W-L totals much different AND no Reggie, Vince, trade down possibilities?:brickwall

Mr Shush

Waterboy
Does anyone know what blocking scheme we'll actually be running next year? Obviously Kubiak comes from a team that tended to use zone-blocking on stretch plays with a cut-block to seal off the back side, but Sherman has always been emphatically a gap/man-blocking guy. Benton I have no idea about. Point being, Lepsis would only be a good fit if we were going to try and implement the Denver/Alex Gibbs type approach, and I'm not sure we are. Lepsis is seriously undersized for a tackle in a conventional scheme.

As for Bentley, he has made it quite clear he wants out of New Orleans, and as has been stated the franchise tag is far too expensive to use on an interior lineman. However, as the premier OL on the free agent market, there is going to be a bidding war for his services and whoever gets him will end up over-paying. Someone like Justin Hartwig would almost certainly be better value-for-cap-hit. We need quality depth more than we do one star player.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
BuffSoldier said:
But thats the point, if that was all available,then that would be a great choice, but this years draft is stuffed with big name OTs. Whether it be Ferguson or Eric Winston... I think a top tackle that can protect Carr for 10-11 years is better than one who will go down hill after 3.
There are trade offs with taking those tackles. If you want Ferguson, you'll have to use that #1 pick...either in a trade down or outright. So you'll be passing on a Bush, Young, or Mario Williams. The are "big name OTs" that could be available at #33, but none are surefire franchise LTs.

If the Texans could grab a LT in free agency, it could take some pressure off the Texans come draft time. They could still take a tackle prospect at some point, coach him up for a couple of years, and then have him ready to play. Forcing guys like Pitts and Wand on the field before they were ready retarded their development. I just don't think bringing in a vet lineman would preclude the Texans from looking for that long term answer you've suggested.

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
I think you get a vet in FA like Bentley and or Lepsis, it removes you having to take a first round lineman. Personally I think the Texans should dedicate their free agent season to getting both of these guys.

This would allow us to go for a TE in the second.

TexanAddict

Texan 'til I Die
El Tejano said:
I think you get a vet in FA like Bentley and or Lepsis, it removes you having to take a first round lineman. Personally I think the Texans should dedicate their free agent season to getting both of these guys.

This would allow us to go for a TE in the second.
I agree. Taking action along these lines would definitely give more flexibility during the draft. I believe even if we did get both these guys (not completely sold on Lepsis, although I can see his value), we should probably still use our 2nd round pick to select the best Olineman available. I think if Lepsis is signed he shouldn't be given the kind of fat money Todd Wade seemed to fall into.

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
I still think our starting left tackle for next season is already on our roster. I don't think we'll start a rookie there. At this time, the only thing I see changing that is if a proven LT is released by a team that isn't a combination of both old and expensive.

keyfro

Veteran
now that he's out of the picture does i got a question for everyone...a lot of online mock drafts have us getting either eric winston or jonathan scott in round two...does anyone think that either of these guys can be our franchise LT?...i would have to say with a year or two in the NFL they could be

outofhnd

Rookie
Hard to say it tends to do more with work ethic and coaching than draft position.

Case in Point Mike Williams LT Buffalo... Drafted #6 overall He was just cut by the buffalo Bills this offseason for being lazy and under achieving. Leonard Davis T Arizona... Is this guy still playing Guard? Robert Gallery.

Flozell Adams, I believe was a 3rd round selection for Dallas. Larry Allen was a 2nd rounder and look at how long his career has lasted...

Personnel Wise can we run either OL scheme? I dont see our interior line being mobile enough to run the denver zone block nor do we have a outside set that can hunker down and gap protect.

What about Shaffer, he hasn't be re-signed yet and the Falcons are already making cuts and might let him go. This guy is their starting LT and he's only 27 he is also experienced in the zone-blocking scheme and only allowed 3 sacks last yr. I know that sounds like a lot, but you have to take into account he guards for Vick and plays in the same conference as the Panthers. I think this guy could come in and compete for the starting LT job seriously and at worse could be the starting RT here. Any thoughts.