7 - 35 - 250 St. Louis
7 - 36 - 251 Dallas
7 - 37 - 252 Cincinnati
7 - 38 - 253 Atlanta
7 - 39 - 254 Dallas
7 - 40 -255 Atlanta
7 - 41 - 256 Houston

LINK

Texans with the first and last pick of the draft.

I am straight up giddy about this... it makes the inactivity in free agency even more justified. In a DEEP draft, having 11 picks will be SWEET!

Does anyone have an inkling on how the order of the comp pick is determined; i.e., why mid-4th but last in the 7th?

I am straight up giddy about this... it makes the inactivity in free agency even more justified. In a DEEP draft, having 11 picks will be SWEET!

These 3 picks are based on last years free agency. (unless that's the inactivity you meant. In that case, disregard)

These 3 picks are based on last years free agency. (unless that's the inactivity you meant. In that case, disregard)

True, but what I get from bringing 11 rookies in and not signing too many free agents is a plan to draft BO'B co-signed players so he can coach them from the get-go. If it's a bit of a rebuild, so be it. Long term, this could be very good if we draft well.

Does anyone have an inkling on how the order of the comp pick is determined; i.e., why mid-4th but last in the 7th?
As I understand it, the comps are ranked by the value of the player lost minus a player signed. Those with sufficient differentials get the 3rd round, next 4th round and so on with the individual picks determined by the net value within each round.

But I could easily be wrong.

It all depends on the players for which the compensatory pick is awarded. You can think of the round as different value tiers and then the pick order in each round is based on the value of each player within that tier. Value is determined by a hidden formula that account for contract (the main indicator of the round the pick is worth) plus playing time and accolades I believe.

Glad we got more picks than I expected. We really needed those picks this year. Hope, BoB and Rick are able to use those picks wisely.

Houston Texans: 4th round (135), 6th round (211), 7th round (256)

Houston Texans: Lost: Alan Ball, Connor Barwin, James Casey, Justin Forsett, Donnie Jones, Glover Quin. Signed: Greg Jones, Shane Lechler, Ed Reed.

Lost 6, gained 3. So,that gives us 3 picks. Could have got 1 more if we didn't sign Ed Reed.

So now we have 11 picks in the draft.

Round 1, Pick 1 (1)
Round 2, Pick 1 (33)
Round 3, Pick 1 (65)
Round 4, Pick 1 (101)
Round 4, pick 35 (135)
Round 5, Pick 1 (141)
Round 6, Pick 1 (177)
Round 6, Pick 5 (181) From Oakland
Round 6, pick 33 (211)
Round 7, Pick 1 (224)
Round 7, Last pick (256)

All depends on WHO we draft. Remember the "Mario" comp pick was used on Sam Montgomery last year.

Sorry to be a buzzkill :(

Yeah, they can't afford to make those kinds of picks again. Not sure who was the one behind that pick (Wade, Smith, Kubes, etc) or if it was a consensus pick among the group, but that was a killer. I know last year was a bad year for LB's (weak class) but that pick made me sick! What a waste! Just can't do that again.

All depends on WHO we draft. Remember the "Mario" comp pick was used on Sam Montgomery last year.

Sorry to be a buzzkill :(

I wouldn`t really call it buzzkill. We took a chance with that pick. We got a guy that many believed had 1st round talent but some character issues. I don`t have a problem with selecting a guy like that with a comp. pick. Of course, it sucks when it doesn`t pan out - but any high to midround pick that doesn`t pan out sucks.

I am a little surprised we got a 4th in there, but I´ll take it. Let`s fill some holes this draft...

Texans get 3:

MUFetdY.png
l

My question is what would we have gotten if we had not signed Ed Reed, and what pick did Baltimore get because we signed him?

Wow a 4th? blows me away. Thought we'd get a 5th as highest. So we now have three 6ths. I can smell a trade up using our own.

My question is what would we have gotten if we had not signed Ed Reed, and what pick did Baltimore get because we signed him?

Based on what I was seeing in several estimates, he probably cancelled out a 5th round compensatory pick. I've also seen Ravens boards indicating that their 5th round pick was compensation for Reed (3rd for Kruger, 4th for Ellerbe, 4th for Williams, 5th for Reed).

So, probably you could roughly consider that the pick 35 in round 5, number 175 overall, was what we gave to Baltimore in order to sign Ed Reed.

It appears that Baltimore got a 3rd for Paul Kruger 8.1 APY, a 4th for Dannell Ellerbe 7.2 APY, a 4th for Cary Williams 5.66 APY, and a 5th for Ed Reed 5 APY.

Some other notable players compensatory picks I can see given the info:

New England got the lowest 4th for Welker - 6m APY

Detroit 4ths for Cliff Avril 6.5 APY and Gosder Cherilus 6.9 APY. Cherilus being the highest 4th.

Jets 4th for Laron Landry - 6 APY

Packers got a 3rd for Greg Jennings 9.5 APY and the last 5th for Walden 4 APY

Steelers got a 3rd for Mike Wallace 12 APY, the highest 5th for Keenan Lewis 5.1 APY, and the lowest 6th for Mendenhall 2.5 APY.

49ers got the lowest 3rd for Dashon Goldson at 8.25 APY.

I point out the highest and lowest of each bracket because the formula is not public, and there are some things that are affecting it besides total value of the contract. Wes Welker's deal was 6m APY, but he's the cutoff for the bottom of the 4th round pick bracket. The next contract down is Steelers' Lewis with 5.1m APY, and he is rated a 5th. So we could look at that and clearly see the cutoff between 4th and 5th this year was between 6m and 5.1 APY.

We can also see Walden at 4m APY netted the final 5th. However, the Jets got the first two 6ths for Mike Devito 4.2 APY and Dustin Keller 4.25m APY. So there's a blurry line there, probably based on snap counts or performance.

Cherilus is the highest 4th at 6.9m, which puts the line between 3rd and 4th somewhere around the 7.5m APY range.

Just some interesting stuff to nerds...

Question is, how many picks will Rick blow this year...and will he be able to stop himself from doing it? ;)

I have my doubts.

Even though picking at the top of each rd means Rick should easily be able to add 4 players.

Rd.1 Clowney
Rd.2 Garappolo
Rd.3 James
Rd.3 after trading a 4th and 5th Jaylen Watkins
Rd.4 comp pick Justin Ellis
Rd. 6. Max Bullough
Rd.6 Dri Archer
Rd.7 Matt Patchan
Rd. 7 Dez Southward

Fills positions of need and adds much needed team speed. Rick could only hope to do this well.

IMO the best part about the compensatory picks is the flexibility it gives. i'm of the mind the more picks you have the better, even if it's a bunch of 7th rounders, and adding 3 selections is a huge bonus. however, these picks allow us to trade our natural picks to move up and down the middle rounds. if we could find some miracle to trade out of the first overall, we'd have some serious firepower in what looks like a very deep and talented class to target specific players - and a lot of them.

IMO the best part about the compensatory picks is the flexibility it gives. i'm of the mind the more picks you have the better, even if it's a bunch of 7th rounders, and adding 3 selections is a huge bonus. however, these picks allow us to trade our natural picks to move up and down the middle rounds. if we could find some miracle to trade out of the first overall, we'd have some serious firepower in what looks like a very deep and talented class to target specific players - and a lot of them.

I've given some serious thought to this idea as well since there is so much talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, but the problem I have with it is that this is a QB driven league and I don't want to lose out on Teddy Bridgewater. This guys got the skill, intelligence, and work ethic/drive to get better, and a good QB is worth more than quality players at alot of other positions.

I've given some serious thought to this idea as well since there is so much talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, but the problem I have with it is that this is a QB driven league and I don't want to lose out on Teddy Bridgewater. This guys got the skill, intelligence, and work ethic/drive to get better, and a good QB is worth more than quality players at alot of other positions.

i have zero problem with this line of thinking. if the coaches feel that bridgewater or another quarterback is "the man" and wants him ... it would be idiotic to trade back and risk losing the single most important player they could have. being an armchair GM, i dont feel that way. i think the 3rd+ round qb's have as much or more potential than the first rounders. one of the mid rounders has 2 championships, and a late rounder would enter the league as the prototype (size, cannon, legs, and intelligence). either way, first overall or 7th round would need to sit a year before starting.

since we have 3 quarterbacks on the roster, all of which have half a season or more of starting experience, i'm perfectly content with going into 2014 with our "quarterback of the future" coming from a more targeted position than first overall. trade back and give me those extra picks, especially at rookie salaries to bolster a roster changeover. let me use those compensatory picks as a safety net as i maneuver up and down the charts to get specific players best fitted to this team - or even better, hedging my bets by trading again and having the highest number of picks.

Back