Texans cap at 6.8 Million

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by srrono, Feb 20, 2012.

1. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

Omar Kelly beat reporter for MIA, where he got our cap number I dont know. A lot of team cap numbers have been coming out today.

Omar Kelly
    Also In Football
    I initially thought there was NO WAY the Houston Texans would let Mario Williams get free, but I'm changing my tune after crunching the numbers. The Texans have about $6.8 million to work with in salary cap space for 2012. And they have to re-sign Arian Foster and Williams, who will likely get a record setting deal. That means they'll be cutting a ton of players, and letting many free agents walk no matter who they redo. Houston need to start restructuring some deals or they'll be picked apart.
    http://www.sulia.com/channel/miami-dolphins/f/12299cd7-0d7b-4867-8851-1fb7075ceb64/?source=twitter

Omar Kelly @OmarKelly
    I need the list of free agents on the Houston Texans and Green Bay Packers because both franchises are about to get plundered.

2. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

That's better than i originally thought.

3. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade Hall of Fame

Same. I thought they had $1 or $2 million under the cap. $6.8 million makes me feel a lot better and Rick Smith is smart enough to make it all work. He'll restructure enough contracts to make it all work.

4. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

Sounds like this guy doesn't really know what he's talking about with regards to the comment about the team getting plundered.
    There is WAY too much time between now and the time that teams must meet the salary cap.
    There will be a lot of maneuvering between now and then, and it will be performed by men who know a whole lot more about the salary cap than this beat writer will ever know in his lifetime.

5. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

Those 1-2 million figures were for 2011 space. That's before you remove expiring deals and dead money. Lots of estimates have been thrown around but subtracting Mario alone should add 18 million from that number. We should have a lot more than 6.8 million to work with in 2012.

6. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

Thanks for the post!!!

I'm thinking its all about context and how the number applys. I mean I just don't see only having 6.8 million to work with when Mario's huge final contract year is coming off the books. Wasn't his final contract year worth like 18 mil or something?

I'm not worrying about the cap until we start to see the behaviour of Rick Smith as soon as FA begins.

7. amazing80

amazing80 Site Contributor

Honestly no one has any idea what he made, numerous sites say he only had 15.150 against the cap this season, but mcclain is pumping out 18 M which the ONLY site I see who has that is rotoworld and i wouldnt put it past him to just use their numbers.....

8. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Hall of Fame

As I stated in the mario thread, gil brandt and pat kirwin both have told me with the 53 man roster, the texans have 112m committed to salaries of a 121m cap. That's a little lest than 9m. That's including mario and his 18m cap figure. They can knock his cap down to 12m and now they have 15m to do foster and myers. Foster can be a 8m and meyers 4m and texans still have 3m cap room before cutting scrubs like cody and and walters and create another 7m.

9. AnthonyE

AnthonyE Lurker

I personally think this guy needs to stick to covering the dolphins.

10. The Medic01

The Medic01 Veteran

But doesn't that go up once the contracts of our 2012 FA's are up or is this number taking that into account.

Yankee_In_TX likes this.
  11. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

Probably mad about his team being 0-6 or 0-7 against us.

12. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

I like your post except for the Cody is a scrub part.

I thought Foster was still under contract through next year?

In any case if you put a gun to my head and made me choose between Mario and Foster I would take Mario. We lose a lot of depth if Mario is gone. If Foster leaves Tate starts and we pick up another UFA or late round pick.

Don't get me wrong, I love Foster, I just think replacing Mario would be a bigger hill to climb.

13. The Medic01

The Medic01 Veteran

Judging from this and your sig you are a long way from being sober my friend. We have plenty of OLB depth and will add some over the draft without Mario and I love Tate but he is not on Fosters level. He doesn't have the speed, vision, smooth running ability, or pass catching ability that Foster does.

14. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

I feel that if this 6.8 million number is correct that R.Smith can work some magic and get our FAs signed after all he was able last year to add 2 big FAs when our cap numbers seemed dim.

15. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

Seriously. Look at this tweet:

I don't think I have read anything that says the Jets will sign Peyton in free agency alone. Everything regarding that has been about releasing Sanchez and his huge contract to free up room this year to sign Peyton. It's a swap, not a major roster purge. No source that I know of has said the Jets can afford much in free agency given their current roster. They moved so much money to this year after trying to Aso, that they have almost no wiggle room with the cap.

16. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Seeing those figures leads me to believe that the Texans would have to be complete idiots if they resign Mario Williams after the season they just had without him.

17. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

Even with how they could work everything out like leebigeztx said? Not sure I understand why they'd be idiots for working things like he stated....

18. cbs1507

cbs1507 Veteran

Bro we have 17 FAs and 12 roster spots to fill (5 were IR replacements). Do you honestly think we can sign Arian Foster and 11 other guys (let alone Mario Williams) with only $6.8 million? Keep in mind that we have to set about $5 million aside for our rookies under the new CBA. So let's say we draft about 7 rookies. That means $1.8 million for Foster and 4 other guys. IMPOSSIBLE. Free Agency does not start until March 13th, which is the beginning of the new league year. Therefore we have 17 contracts still on the books until then. I say this is good news and an indication that the $120.375 million cap from 2011 has increase for 2012. We'll have 17 contracts coming off the books to ADD to that $6.8 million or whatever figure we are under the cap.

19. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

We dont know what the plans are could be some cuts JJ Leinart for example. Restrutre some contracts. Let some FAs go we dont know the plan we have to wait and see.

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I don't know. Why would people be "publishing" our 2011 cap number? They know the 2012 number is the important number. Right, or am I looking at something wrong?

It doesn't matter if Schaub, Antonio Smith, & Demeco had an $8M number in 2011, what's important is their contracts may escalate to $10M in 2012 (this is just an example, I have no idea what their number is for 2012.

Jjo, what's he going to make in 2012?

I can't imagine dropping Mario's $18M 2011 cap number, & still having 51 players on our roster that equate to $114M of cap room, leaving only $6.3M to work with.