Texans Bull Blog thoughts on the ongoing rumors

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by dalemurphy, Dec 29, 2010.

1. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Funny that totally competing rumors about the Texans surface on the same day. I'm guessing we have a good 8-10 days of this stuff since I don't think Bob will do anything until at least the middle of next week. In his mind (which I respect and appreciate), it would be a sign of disrespect to have someone fired right after the season ended.

Anyway, here are my thoughts, with a high quality link to Stephanie's discussion with football outsiders from a few days ago, regarding the two predominate rumors that surfaced today:

Texans Bull Blog

2. SAMURAITEXAN

SAMURAITEXAN Subscribed Contributor

Although I am disappointed with this year's result, I too like to see rumor #1 to be true.

3. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

So, you're back to wanting Kubiak?

Got it.

And you slammed me for predicting 7-9 before the season.

Ok.

4. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I like the guy. Ultimately, I would like to see Tony Dungy or Bill Cowher replace him. However, there is an appeal to seeing him return with Wade Phillips in control of the defense.

5. houstonspartan

I don't know anyone who doesn't like the guy. I would give him my ATM card and pin code if he asked. I just don't want him coaching this team any more.

As I said before, I take no pride in being right about this season. I don't think anyone who wanted him gone are happy right now. But, the truth is, this season was predicted by a lot of people.

How did we predict it? Because he's a predictable coach.

Ole Miss Texan likes this.
  6. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

for the record HS, yes. Dale has flip flopped publicly and I can assure you he's just as inconsistent in person as well.

7. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I don't want him replaced by Troy Calhoun, Mike Sherman, or Hue Jackson... that, I do know. I also don't want John Gruden, Tom Coughlin, or Jeff Fisher (for different reasons).

Guys I would like to see replace Kubiak:

Tony Dungy
    Bill Cowher
    Marty Schottenheimer
    Jim Harbaugh (maybe)
    Jimmy Johnson (if he's motivated, which he isn't)
    John Fox (kinda, maybe.. with a new and strong GM)

other than that, I can't think of anyone that is (or will be ) available.

8. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

We can't all be the emotional and intellectual rock that you are.

9. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

You shouldn't because you were wrong about this season. You actually thought this team could win 7 games. The Texans will be finishing 5-11 so your prediction of 7-9 is no different than the guy predicting 9-7.

:kitten:

10. SAMURAITEXAN

SAMURAITEXAN Subscribed Contributor

And I thought we were going to win 10 this year. Much closer than my prediction.

11. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

It is respectful because it allows the head coach and his assistants to enter the coaching market at the same time as the other coaches. Holding them back would be the disrespectful thing to do.

I couldn't say it better. How you could write this and still be excited about a possible Kubiak return is puzzling.

12. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

Well 7-9 was flat out wrong!

:lol:

13. 97roc

97roc Veteran

The only appeal of seeing him return would have been under different circumstances... as in the win/loss column. If they went 8/8 plus or minus a game, then yes, fixing the defense with Phillips might be the answer to getting us over the hump. Realistically, the only thing that scenario would do is bring us back to mediocrity.

14. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Because I'm an emotional wreck. I love Kubiak and was confident this season was going to go very differently.

Kaiser Toro and NitroGSXR like this.
  15. houstonspartan

Yes, you were very confident about this season. I remember vividly and have the emails to prove it.

You think YOU'RE and emotional wreck? Try going to the games like I do. It's been depressing beyond belief.

Look, Dale, just say you want Kubiak to return simply because you like him. Have the courage of your convictions and stick to them. I would respect that much more, to be honest.

16. houstonspartan

lol! Nitro, you're right. I was even wrong about 7-9. And that's the sad part about this disasterous season. I thought I was being "fair" by predicting 7-9 and they couldn't even live up to that.

Pathethic.

NitroGSXR likes this.
  17. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I don't ultimately want Kubiak to return if he is replaced by a better coach. However, I'm also not in pursuit of your respect. Nowhere did I say in the article that I think keeping Kubiak is the best way to go. I only confessed that part of me would be excited about the Phillips move to DC with Kubiak remaining at head coach. Don't you ever have competing thoughts/emotions?

18. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Between the coaching staff, the personnel department and the GM, I have figured out who is to blame and who needs to be replaced this off-season... well, kind of:

From Kubiaks' Monday presser:
    (on if having DT Damione Lewis at the start of the season would have allowed assistant head coach/defensive line coach Bill Kollar to do things differently on the defensive line) “Well, we had the guy we thought was going to be that person for us when we went with Frank (Okam) coming out of training camp, but that didn’t work out. (DT) Damione (Lewis) has been a pleasant surprise. I mean, he’s played nine or 10 years in this league and he’s brought a nice presence to our room and what it means to be a pro and how important this job is to you and how quick it can go away. I’ve been very impressed with the way he’s played. He’s done a good job.”

Whomever is included in the “we” highlighted in red are the persons that should be replaced this off-season. As silly and petty as this may seem, the ability of the organization to assess itself this season and in previous seasons has been its downfall. I actually believe the team has done a good job bringing talent in. However, once players are here, the organization has no clue how to assess their performance, manage them, who to keep, who to bench or release, etc… Retaining Frank Okam in his third season out of training camp is as obvious an example I can think of. Well, turns out they not only kept him as backend depth on the roster, but they went into this season thinking they could rely on him to play a significant role. Wow! Where were these guys in 2008 and in 2009? Or, how about the 2010 training camp when he appeared disinterested, winded, and very sluggish. Or, where were they when his college coaches and NFL scouts were complaining about his lack of motor and disinterest in football.

CONTINUE ARTICLE HERE

19. Vinnie

Vinnie with an I E

I'm going to go out on a limb and say we=Kubiak and his entire defensive staff.

20. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I hate that you're an emotional wreck. You shouldn't let that happen. I would hate to think that your motions a tied to a Bob McNair run franchise.

I also dont think that the Talent level is where you think it is. Cushing is the only pro bowler drafted by Smith. D.Brown is the only other average starter drafted by Smith. Who other than those 2 guys in 4 yrs of drafting have really succeeded?

And yes I understand the need to be coached up.

That's a failure on Kubiaks' part. So i cant understand why you would want him back.