Texans/Browns...by the Numbers

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TEXANRED, Nov 19, 2007.

1. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

I thought I would jot down a few fact about our upcoming game. Somethings I found interesting and thought I would share with my fellow Texan fans.

First we will start off with the Defense.

Houston Texans ranked 18th in defense overall, and 8th overall in the AFC
    Cleveland Browns ranked 32nd in defense overall, and 16th in the AFC

Texans -vs- the pass, 13th overall and 9th in the AFC @ 203.4 ypg
    Browns -vs- the pass, 31st overall and 16th in the AFC @ 272.8 ypg

Texans -vs- the run, 24th overall and 10th in the AFC @ 124.2 ypg
    Browns -vs- the run, 28th overall and 12th in the AFC @137.8 ypg

Texans are -8 in take aways
    Browns are -2 in take aways

Texans are 26th in scoring defense overall and 11th in the AFC @ 25.1 ppg
    Browns are 32nd in scoring and 16th in the AFC @ 29.3 ppg

Now for the offense:

Texans are the 7th ranked pass offense and 4th in the AFC @ 254.7 ypg
    Browns are 10th ranked pass offense and 5th ranked in the AFC @ 239.9 ypg

Texans are the 23rd ranked rush Offense and 14th in the AFC @ 91.3 ypg
    Browns are the 18th ranked rush Offense and 11th in the AFC @ 103.0 ypg

Texans are the 11th scoring Offense and 7th in the AFC @ 22.6ppg
    Browns are the 4th scoring Offense and 3rd in the AFC @ 28.3 ppg

Texans Defense -vs- the Brown Offense

So we go to the Browns and put up our Pass defense that is giving up 203.4 ypg -vs- there pass Offense that is averaging 239.9 ypg

A rush defense that is giving up 124 ypg -vs- an Offense that is rushing for 103 ypg

A scoring defense that is giving up 25.1 ppg -vs- am offense that is amassing 29.3 ppg

Texans Defense has given up 8 rushing TD's -vs- Cleveland making 9 rushing TD's

Texans Defense has given up 12 Rec TD's -vs- Cleveland's 20 TD's scored

This breaks down to:

Texans give up 1.2 rec TD a game with Cleveland scoring 2 TD's a game
    Texans give up .8 rushing TD a game with Cleveland scoring .9 TD a game.
    Texans give up 25 ppg and Cleveland scores 29 ppg

Texans Offense -vs- Brown's Defense

Texans Pass Offense gaining 254 ypg against a Pass defense giving up 272 ypg

Texans Rush Offense gaining 91.3 ypg against a Rush defense giving up 137.8

Texans Rushing TD's on Offense, 5 against a defense that has given up 5

Texans Passing Offensive TD's 12 against a defense that has given up 22

This breaks down to getting:

0.5 rushing TD a game with Cleveland giving up .5 rushing TD a game
    1.2 Passing TD a game with Cleveland giving up 2.2 a game.
    Texans average score a game 22.6 ppg and Cleveland give up 29.3 ppg

And what does this all mean? A high scoring air it out shoot out. We should win this game. We have a better defense and an offense that just got back its primary weapon in AJ.

Hardcore Texan likes this.
  2. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

They are however at home. Luckily it's not December so with a little luck the weather won't be a big factor. They are playing at home and feeling optimistic. A home crowd and some much needed hope can go a long way. I predict a very tough game.

If we win it then we will have won 3 games in a row and, I believe might have a chance to make a nice little run at a wild card spot. We might be able to turn this into some momentum.

If we lose it then we're going to waffle around the underside of .500 for the rest of the year and we will have improved, if not as much as we all had hoped we would.

Without sounding like somebody who is satisfied with mediocrity I think that would be understandable considering our league leading number of players on IR. The Texans wouldn't use that as an excuse and I would want them to but reality is reality. You can't get around it. I still think we look good for 2008 but it's awesome that we haven't given up on 2007 yet. It's a nice change from years past.

3. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

That is what has to change. If it continues, we will lose next weekend. If it continues to continue, we will not reach .500 again this year. I don't know what the answer is. People just need to stop fumbling.

4. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I'd feel pretty good about our chances if you flip this thingie-

Texans are the 11th scoring Offense and 7th in the AFC @ 22.6ppg
    Browns are the 4th scoring Offense and 3rd in the AFC @ 28.3 ppg

Texans 28 Browns 23 :)

5. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

we playing at reliant or at browns stadium?

6. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Subscribed Contributor

7. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Very interesting, thanks for posting those stats. One thing that I'm too lazy to look up are the opponents both teams played. If the Browns are scoring a lot of points against GOOD defenses, its different than if they were playing a poor defense. same goes for the offense and the Texans. Some sort of weighted average would be handy..but very difficult.

I thought the Saints game was going to be really high scoring too but our defense really stepped it up. I sure hope we can do that against the Browns. Our offense is so much fun to watch with AJ back on the field.

Key Factors (as with any game):
    1. Texans Offensive Line- I don't know much about the browns or how their DL is doing. Gotta keep Schaub upright and create running lanes for Green/Dayne.
    2. Browns Offensive Line- Seems to be playing well, has Joe Thomas even given up a sack yet this season? Mario will probably be playing on the left side a bit more. Our DL needs to play like they did on Sunday. Can't give Anderson all day to throw...he's got some really good wr's.
    3. Texans Secondary- Did great sunday against a pass happy offense. I thought it was great gameplanning giving them short throws in the middle of the field and not giving up the big plays to Colston. Again, Browns have some good wr's so it will be another test.
    4. Browns Secondary- Obviously not THAT good if they rank close to last in passing defense...Schaub should pick them apart with Andre, Daniels, and Kevin.
    5. Turnovers- What is up with our turnovers. Seems we're playing lazy when it comes to ball protection. Turnovers will kill us. Can't count on 2 Int's every game when they are both deflections off the WR that should have been caught. Good heads up play by Greenwood and Hutchins but with a hint of luck to them. Heck...its a spark that we need and hopefully this carries over to next Sunday.

8. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

The problem with all this, is that the Browns scoring offense is so good. THey don't have a lot of yardage, but they score so freaking many points.

We will really have to shut them down to come out with a win. We won't win in a shootout

9. austintexanite

austintexanite All Pro

Exactly what I was telling some of my friends here. I'm worried about their return man, Cribbs?? Something like that, we have to tackle him early or have high kickoffs because he gives them great field position.

10. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

Those are the intangibles that Stats don't show, home crowd, weather, emotions.

I do think the scoring offense is a little misleading b/c the Browns have to put up that many points to win. The Texans, once they get a 10 point lead turns into a ball control team that grinds it out. Yesterday looked like it was going to be a high powered game then bam, Ron Dayne starts pounding it away.

My key factors are Schaub, AJ, OD, and Walter -vs- the 31st pass defense
    Ron Dayne -vs- the 32nd run defense.

Go up a quick 14-0 and hop on Rons back to a 6-5 record and one game out of the wild card with the Tinheads the week after.

Oh and one more thing, sorry about all the numbers, I just meant to compare our Total Offense -vs- there total defense and it kinda snow balled on me. I just couldnt stop.

11. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I like your game plan..OD needs a TD.

I found the numbers interesting,it's easy to get carried away when they start looking like that!

12. stevn8r

stevn8r Zombie

OD definately needs a TD (and not just for fantasy reasons)! As far as our two interceptions, Thank God for tip drills!

Texans Offense was explosive yesterday when we needed it, dreesson's touch down came after a 5 play 80 yard drive ( I think it was 5 plays ) If we can do that in Cleavland.....It will be a good day

Texans 28 Cleavland 17

13. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

I'm just gonna shift my Saints prediction over here... 37-34

14. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

These numbers don't reflect week 10 games.

15. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

Do you feel these numbers will drastically change from week 9 to week 10?

16. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Our rushing average went up quite a bit after playing Oakland. LOL

But you're right, they'll be changing less and less the longer into the season we go. It's still fun playing with the numbers, but they don't mean a whole lot if the attitude of the team suddenly sways in one direction or the other.

The Texans were pretty evenly matched up with the Saints, yet we took them down very convincingly because the Texans were up for the game.

17. Andrew6

Andrew6 Site Contributor

I kinda interested to see how Walker does against one of the worst run defenses. We'll have Dayne as our power back and Walker in for speed. . . intavestinng very

18. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

from the browns fans i know, i take it that:

a) they cant really run the ball either
    b) they cant get a pass rush on D
    c) KICK IT AWAY FROM CRIBBS!!

19. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

Don't worry, I'll be there supporting our Texans :) I'm making my friends coming with wear Texans jerseys I have too (they're Packers and Bears fans). I expect to hear a lot from Browns fans but at the end of the game I'll hopefully have a lot to say :wild:

20. Imatexanfan

Imatexanfan Hall of Fame

I've tuned into a couple of Browns games this year and to me that they are getting lucky at winning some of these games that they've won. But I have to say with Schaub and AJ out there on that field at the sametime is going to make the Browns game a long one.

The way that MW stepped up last game has to go into the rest of the remaining games for us to win on defense, not being good to being mediocre. Its uncalled for, saying that if the defense can play the Browns like i think they can we will wind up with a win.:texflag:

Texans 35 Browns 20