Texans Block Access to Cell Phone Carriers Other Than Verizon

Discussion in 'Texan Tailgate' started by Runner, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Leverage is great. As a sponsor of the Texans, it appears Verizon blocks high speed wireless access to AT&T in the stadium. I wanted to track my fantasy team during the game but couldn't. Surprisingly, that action by Verizon and the Texans didn't leverage me into going out and getting a Verizon phone! In fact, it makes me dislike Verizon somewhat. Go figure.

It didn't do much for my evaluation of that "great game day expereince" the Texans tout either.

2. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Dude, I was wondering about that!! I was with Sprint last year and got a great signal outside of the stadium but couldn't even get one bar inside it. Now it makes sense! BOOOO!

3. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

Last Sunday was the first time I've had major trouble getting signal with Sprint. It's always somewhat iffy but last week it was receive only. No sending.

4. Runner

I could receive calls and text, but no internet access via the higher speed wireless. It went out as I approached the stadium. I tracked it leaving and it came back on 30-50 yards away. It came back full bore and had a high speed, so it wasn't because of the crowd creating too many users.

I may need to to start a thread...

5. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

This is just another thing added on top of the others that are making me dislike the Texans as a business entity. I still enjoy the team, but they won't get anymore money from me.

6. StarStruck

StarStruck Site Contributor

I wondered what was going on when I tried to look at my team as well as check ESPN scoreboard and box scores. I will just have to adjust because I will continue to be an AT&T customer.

7. Khari

Khari Administrator Staff Member

i have verizon :backsout:

8. Runner

I was trying to check my ff on my iPhone. I had to resort to checking with my friend's Blackberry, which made it very clear why iPhones are better for fun stuff involving the web. Nice sales job, Verizon!

9. MannyFresh

MannyFresh El Capitan

What if you have a family emergency?

10. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

Yup. I so want to sign up for text alerts from HoustonTexans.com but cannot. They only send them to Verizon customers. I'm with T-Mobile and don't really have too much choice on which carrier to use because of the goodies that I require to make life easier on me known as the Sidekick. No, I don't use the Sidekick but my better half does.

Whatever happened to "No purchase necessary."

11. Runner

Cell phone calls and texting worked. For me, the Edge and 3G networks were blocled.

12. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

I use AT&T. I am able to send and receive tweets within the stadium but the coverage is spotty. That is through my internet.

I've heard that some public facilities get overloaded with internet traffic.

Do you know if blocking non-verizon cell reception is an official policy?

13. texanmojo

texanmojo Shotgun 30 Time

I didn't think it was legal to block cell phone signals. Isn't the State of Texas having an issue right now about possibly wanting to block cell phone signals in prisons...and they can't do it legally?

I could not get any signal inside the stadium on my iPhone. Not for calls...not for internet...nothing.

Steph...with you being a lawyer...could you find out what the truth is on this topic?

14. Runner

This was not spotty coverage but it just stopped working, except for the low bandwidth voice call and texting functions. I tried from my seat and the outer edges of the stadium as well. I couldn't use my broadband until I was outside the stadium, near to where I lost it coming in, and I was checking constantly as I walked out. Once I reached this point I had strong, fast access although the crowd had not yet thinned.

I talked to some other people and was told that AT&T blocks other carriers in Cleveland's stadium and Nextel blocks at NASCAR events. Given that others have had the same experience within Reliant, I assume it is intentional to support the sponsor. I doubt this is a policy they publicize. The people with Verizon phones that I was with had no problems anywhere. It was just those of us with other carrriers.

The evidence points me to a conclusion it is on purpose.

15. texanmojo

texanmojo Shotgun 30 Time

Mine still barely worked all the way out in the Yellow Lot...

16. Runner

17. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

I would find it hard to believe if there is an official policy. It's all about the wording in their ads.

http://www.houstontexans.com/fanzone/VerizonWirelessTextAlerts.asp

They're definitely protecting their interests here with Verizon being a bigger customer than the masses.

18. Stemp

Stemp Brew Master

So it's not that their "blocking" cell access, its just that the only provider available inside the stadium with the capacity to handle the masses is Verizon.

19. Runner

Interesting. Cell phone jamming is apparently illegal, although it isn't enforced. There is also some question to what cell phone jamming is. If you block 3G access but allow voice, is the phone jammed?

So: are they or aren't they?

I haven't found much specific info on the web yet.

20. Runner

Except in Cleveland, where only AT&T can handle it.

Funny how everyone else can handle the masses in the parking lot immediately before and after the game.