Texans best and worst draft picks

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexanSam, Apr 14, 2008.

1. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Just thought it would be interesting to see who you think is the Texans best and worst draft picks over the years.

This has a list of all the draft picks we've made over the years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Houston_Texans_draft_selections

Here's my best and worst

Best:

1. Andre Johnson - The guy should be a superstar but he doesn't get the publicity like other receivers. His time will come though

2. DeMeco Ryans - The guy's going to be a beast for years and years. Many more Pro Bowls to come.

3. Dunta Robinson - Before his injury he was on his way to being a top flight CB IMO. Hopefully he can recover back to full speed.

Worst (this list could go on forever. Thanks Casserly):

1. David Carr - Duh.

2. Bennie Joppru - Ugh. I think the only highlight I remember from him is during the 2006 training camp or mini camp and he made a good catch in the end zone. In fact, that's the only time I think I've seen him on the field period.

3. Jason Babin - I can't remember what exactly we gave up to trade up and grab him, but it was way too much.

4. Tony Hollings - Another waste of a 2nd rounder

5. Vernand Morency - Waste of a 3rd rounder

What are you best and worst picks by the Texans?

I think it's too early to put Mario as one of the best picks yet. He had one average to slightly below average year in 2006 and a good year in 2007.

2. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

3. Ckw

Ckw Guest

fixed*

4. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

CC Brown, Fred Bennett, and Owen Daniels are two of my favorites. They aren't our best players, but to getsolid starters out of late picks is always a boost.

5. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Somewhere on this list should be the name of Charles Hill. He was a DL drafted in the third round of the '02 draft. He was cut prior to the Texans first regular season game.

Picked by an expansion team in the third freakin' round, and he can't make it out of training camp? That's some fine pickin' there CC & Dom!

Another nit to pick on this is that Joppru needs a huge asterick if he should be on this list at all. No injury history in college, and no evidence to say what kind of pro he would have been. The case for CC being incompetent in virtually every phase of his job is quite strong without including the unfortunate Mr. Joppru.

YellerLotYeller likes this.
  6. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

If we hadent picked david carr who would u have choosen ?????? has a QB how would of we know David would be a bust he was at the time looked like a sure fire good pick

7. YellerLotYeller

YellerLotYeller nice marmot

Boselli was a sure fire pick too.

8. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Julius Peppers...

9. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

10. RipTraxx

RipTraxx Free Agent

Second that

11. YellerLotYeller

YellerLotYeller nice marmot

Can you prove Peppers would have been a better pick than Carr?
    :sarcasm:

12. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

This is not hindsight for me - because I'm a firm believer in building up your O and D-lines before anything else... Peppers was by far the best choice of any offensive or defensive linemen (and really, the ONLY one that could have been justified at that time as the #1 overall pick.) So by my way of thinking, Peppers was the way to go.

That said - if Peppers doesn't rebound and have a few more great years, you can't say in retrospect he would have been worth the top overall pick either. He should be in the prime of his career right now.

13. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Worst

1. Tony Hollings was easily the worst. total of 4 games played @ RB, then coming off a season ending ACL. not only was he supplemental pick I doubt he would have been drafted & it cost the Texans the first pick of the 2nd rd.

2. Jason Babin, productive small school prospect, undersized with short wingspan 3rd/4th rd prospect moved up & traded almost the whole draft to get the Titans 1st rd. pick thus helping them re-tool on the run.

3. David Carr, #1 overall not such a reach at the time but like stated in many threads unless the guy is true franchise QB you don't spend a top 5 or even top 10 on a guy like that.

Best

1. Mario Williams, in the face of all that pressure they resisted popular demand & made the right selection, that takes guts. not only that he turned out to be the once in a decade defensive lineman.

2. Dunta Robinson, excellent cb best in draft above DeAngelo Hall, could have taken Ben Rothelisberger but he would have been wasted behind that OL.

3. Amobi Okoye, great young DT with tons of upside. very lucky he dropped to #10 IMO. passed on a great LB Patrick Willis, but with DeMeco as our starting MLB it made sense to give Mario a running mate & look what happened.

14. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

All time worst.

1. Charles Hill - 3rd

2. Jason Babin - 1st

3. Tony Hollings - 3rd

4. Seth Wand - 3rd

5. David Carr -1st

Jabar Gaffney gets an honorable mention.

Who am I kidding, the 2003 and 2004 draft was horrible. I list them all except for DRob and AJ. No wonder we went 2-14 in 05.

Best moves

1. AJ

2 Ryans

3 DRob

4 Winston

5 Williams

Bennett gets an honorable mention

OD gets an honorable mention.

15. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

So, three guys are your 2 favorite picks... Those are all solid picks. Ill add Winston, DDW, and Faggins as well. For a CB drafted so low to even be on the team as long as he was is pretty cool. Ill also add Mario, because some teams would have felt pressured to take the glammer girls instead.

Bryant McKinnie(sp) the LT for Minnisota.

16. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

If he hadn't had his career shortened, Domanick Davis in the 4th round was a great pick at the time.

17. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I've saw where someone said Charles Hill and Vernand Morency were busts but both were taken in the 3rd round and they are still playing on the teams they are with. Charles Hill actually had a great year last year with Tampa Bay and Morency has been a very solid servicable back for Green Bay.

As for bad picks:

Jason Babin
    David Carr
    The rest are the bad FAs Casserly brought in.

Good picks:

Owen Daniels
    Eric Winston
    Domanik Davis
    Dunta
    Andre
    Demeco
    Freddie B

18. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I think you've got Charles Hill and Greg White confused.

I think Greg White was a 7th round pick for us (?).

19. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

20. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

FYI, Hill was a Panther last season and didn't play 1 game. I believe you're thinking of Greg White. He ran around Salaam (who doesn't) a few times and had 2 sacks.

Morency had 108 rushing yards and 199 receiving yards. He hasn't been a "solid servicable" back either. He's been hurt every year.