Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans at Broncos: Impressions

im glad you dont run the team then. let kubes decide on carr, he's done wonders so far with limited time. i mean look at his amazing draft! the man knows football players in general and the qb position in particular.

wags said:
Sterling Sharpe is a moron.

SterlingSharpe & Steve "Mooch" Mariuchi are the only talking heads on our side (about the Mario Pick) let's give SS some slack??

Besides I've always liked his commentary, He definitely understands the game more than most. He's got an "I know I'm smart attitude", but so do I. I was hoping that he would do all the games on NFL network, but it looks like they have other plans.

After a decent nights sleep, I'm a little more calmed about the situation. Considering all our penalties....... and the yards we gave up.... I think we are right on schedule to trump the AFC South. I'm still haning on 13-3. If we can play as badly as we did, still hold Denver to 107 rushing yards, and lose by 3, imagine what we could do, if we play a perfect game, and our offense plays for both halfs, and not just the second.

Maybe we should run some 7-on-7 drills pregame to warm David up or something.

Marcus said:
Andre Johnson - why is it that this guy who has 4.3 speed never gets open downfield? Does it always have to be jumpball situation when Carr does throw to him? I don't know. For such an 'elite' receiver who is given such a God-like status around here, you'd think he'd do more to hold up his end. Can you say 'overrated'?

To be fair, we have no idea how wide open he may be in all those dump off situations.... If I saw him out their blocking, I'd assume those were called screens. But as I hadn't, I've got to imagine he/Moulds were either open downfield, and David didn't see them, or they never got open. But seeing how Derrick Lewis doesn't have a problem getting open, and he is on the second team(if he makes the team), I'm inclined to believe they just weren't noticed.

Hervoyel said:
I
I like this new defense. They come after people and keep coming after people.

The defense really is much better this year.

I can see the D winning a couple of games for us this year. They definitely attack more than they did the past couple of years, and you see guys making some plays.:hunter:

Kubiak did take blame for Carr looking bad, stating that the plays he was given were not good. I think things will be fine. For some reason they are calling better plays for Sage. Sage gets to throw the ball down field more. Carr looks pretty good on roll outs, so I think we will see more in the regular season. Lets back Carr until a few regular season games are over.

ItsAJtime said:
For some reason they are calling better plays for Sage. Sage gets to throw the ball down field more.

I think this deserved to be repeated.

I think that holding penalty when we were deep in our own territory really hurt us too. David had a nice first down completion to Lundy before it was brought back to within our 10 yard line. I think it was Spencer who was flagged, but not positive.

tulexan said:
I think that holding penalty when we were deep in our own territory really hurt us too. David had a nice first down completion to Lundy before it was brought back to within our 10 yard line. I think it was Spencer who was flagged, but not positive.

It was Spencer... we started on the 17, it was half the distance to the goal, so it was spotted around the 8.........

tough situation indeed.

PowerfulDragon said:
This did too.

Last night, as I was watching the game, I was going over my daughters TaeKwonDo forms..... I pointed out over half a dozen things she was doing wrong..

do you think I'm not being supportive enough??

Should I just let her do what she wants to do, and pray she never actually needs to know the proper way to block a punch??

Runner said:
Same reason Wand, Bruener, and McKinneyb didn't.
Whatever that is. :)
The one that really surprised me was Owen Daniels getting the starting nod over both Breuner and Putzier. Could Daniels have a chance to start aginst the Eagles ? And is there any chance that Breuner could get cut ?

nunusguy said:
The one that really surprised me was Owen Daniels getting the starting nod over both Breuner and Putzier. Could Daniels have a chance to start aginst the Eagles ? And is there any chance that Breuner could get cut ?

I don't think the "starting" TE makes that much difference since they move in and out so much depending on the play.

thunderkyss said:
Last night, as I was watching the game, I was going over my daughters TaeKwonDo forms..... I pointed out over half a dozen things she was doing wrong..

do you think I'm not being supportive enough??

Should I just let her do what she wants to do, and pray she never actually needs to know the proper way to block a punch??

Is this a rhetorical question? Just wondering since it appeared in ths thread.

Martial arts forms totally depend on the teacher. Tae kwon do in particular can be a poorly taught art and its teachers have an overall tendency to focus on tactics that aren't particularly or maximally combat applicable, especially in the course of katas or forms.

Totally depends on (a) caliber of teacher, (b) form in question, (c) your daughter's age/build/skill and what she's trying to do with the art (e.g. is her primary focus to have a good time and get exercise or is she trying to learn to defend herself).

Runner said:
I don't think the "starting" TE makes that much difference since they move in and out so much depending on the play.

IMO there isn't a tremendous difference between any of our tight ends, other than Bruener's overall blocking ability. As Runner points out, they move in and out so much any way; no one TE received substantially more reps than the other last night IIRC.

"Carr throws a pick. I swear I’ve been watching this boy play this position since 2002 and he’s the most snake-bit guy I’ve ever seen when it comes to deflected passes."

that's because even when he throws a pass he wants to pull it back. So it comes in off target.

Someone questioned his intelligence. He's the opposite of Brett tighten me up Farve. Farve is out of it. Carr thinks too much. He's all about minimizing interceptions. That why he gets sacked so much. He's afraid of making the wrong decision. He needs a sports psychologist to get right.

Very happy with the defensive effort.

Offensively, we were EXTREMELY vanilla. Not sure if this was by design, but not too thrilled to see all those balls going directly to the backs. It was a checkdown festival again. Fullback, Fullback, Running back, and on and on. Just can't win in the NFL dumping the ball off to the backs on every play. Few crossing routes and few plays with Moulds and AJ lining up on the same side. Lots of balanced sets with little movement.

Too many fullback sets. Very limiting in today's NFL. Want to see more single back zone and less fullback lead.

Bootlegs looked good.

When Rosenfeld came out ont he field, the routes changed, as did the formations. Hopefully Kubiak was keeping it vanilla.

Disappointed in Carr's effort. The quick checkdowns are emblematic of the old offense and insecurity over the pass rush. He needs to get comfortable real quick and realize that he has more time now then before. He also needs to trust his legs a bit more. He tried to throw a ball back into the middle of the field on 3rd and 3 and he could have just waltzed for the first down.

Not the end of the world, but certainly not a finished product. Waiver wire priority would be to get a viable third wide receiver.

infantrycak said:
Moulds was slow off the snap to set his guy up. Carr in an example of something he is not supposed to be able to do put a lot of air under the ball in an early thrown ball. 50/50 fault in my book going down to still figuring each other out. Moulds showed plenty of speed on the 2nd half of the route.

At first I was down on AJ for not making a play on that ball but looking at it closer he just got a little unbalanced such that he couldn't jump. Carr had every right to think AJ should have made that play because 80%+ he does. Just an off play--IMO a giant piece of going from a losing team to a winning team is having more of those close plays fall our way. Gonna take a while to click though.
These are the types of plays that receivers are supposed to make . Moulds without a doubt just didn't have the fly speed needed to go deep on that play. AJ just flat out missed his opportunity to be a big play makers. He misjudged the pass and ended up on his butt. He should kept running and leaped to get the ball over his shoulder.

jerek said:
Is this a rhetorical question? Just wondering since it appeared in ths thread.

Martial arts forms totally depend on the teacher. Tae kwon do in particular can be a poorly taught art and its teachers have an overall tendency to focus on tactics that aren't particularly or maximally combat applicable, especially in the course of katas or forms.

Totally depends on (a) caliber of teacher, (b) form in question, (c) your daughter's age/build/skill and what she's trying to do with the art (e.g. is her primary focus to have a good time and get exercise or is she trying to learn to defend herself).

So you're saying I'm not being supportive enough??

SESupergenius said:
These are the types of plays that receivers are supposed to make . Moulds without a doubt just didn't have the fly speed needed to go deep on that play. AJ just flat out missed his opportunity to be a big play makers. He misjudged the pass and ended up on his butt. He should kept running and leaped to get the ball over his shoulder.

Or Carr over threw him...... timing issues.

on the pass to AJ, I think it was definitely a bad throw. It was like he was throwing to the Corner, when AJ was clearly on the inside. AJ had to jump up, and fade back to even get his hands on it.

thunderkyss said:

on the pass to AJ, I think it was definitely a bad throw. It was like he was throwing to the Corner, when AJ was clearly on the inside. AJ had to jump up, and fade back to even get his hands on it.

Both of the passes were decently thrown balls. The one to Moulds looked as if it was unexpected. Moulds appeared to come off the ball jogging. When he noticed the ball coming his way he then picked his speed up. If he was full speed the whole route, the ball would've been caught. The ball to AJ was basically a jump ball. I think 8 out of 10 times, he would've brought the ball down. This is what I saw. I sure others see it different, which is fine.:cool:

I'm not going to go into the offense, because it was mostly a disaster last night...with the exception of when they picked up the pace in the 2-minute drill.

The defense, however, there were good things and bad.

I'm glad that I got to see us go up against a good o-line such as Denver, it really puts pressure on the entire line (including Mario). I didn't see anything spectacular from Mario or the rest of the line myself, which is one thing I'm dissapointed with, but I think the LB's did a great job.

The secondary was being pummeled last night, even DR was having some trouble covering his guys.

Our 1st quarter rushing defense was good...but 2nd quarter, Denver made some adjustments and fixed that problem.

But the one thing I liked the most about last night was overall containment in the passing game. Whenever a receiver would catch a ball, there would be 3 or more defenders swarming on him like bees. Like any defensive coach will tell you...this is rule #1 for pass plays. Obviously, the logic is simple: if there are 3 or more players around the receiver when the ball is caught, how is he going to get past them; he won't. While we gave up some crucial plays, we never really allowed that huge pass play that would put the nail in the coffin in the past for us.

I think the best thing for me is that for once, I'm actually excited when the defense comes out. I no longer have the 'oh crap, how many points are we going to have to make up this time' mentality. I think the most important things that I've seen from Ryans and Williams is that they provide solid anchors to help the defense do its job. I'd just like to see us get that one killer safety in FA or the Draft next year...I think that would set us up real nice.

HOU-TEX said:
I think 8 out of 10 times, he would've brought the ball down.

Something like that.

I want Dre to get lots of chances to make plays like that - I want an aggressive offense. Just because it missed this time doesn't mean he won't make the play the next. He has to get his chances to be a big time receiver for this offense to improve.

thunderkyss said:

Still doesn't exscuse him from not making the play...Maybe if it were Walter's trying to make the catch...but AJ is supposed to be a super stud..he's supposed to be well on his way to elite...he has to make difficult grabs or he will be classified as just another reciever with tremendous talent...And the throw may not have been perfect, but it was definitely catchable...

One other thing that really stuck out to me last night is that Carr is throwing off his back foot. I don't think I saw him throw a pass that he stepped through. I'm very disappointed in his "progress." That's a bad David Carr. :slap:

thunderkyss said:

Na, to me that wasn't overthrown, AJ just didn't time it well as the cornerback made a better line on the ball than AJ did, and they were step in step. The cornerback almost intercepted it, so that negates it being labeled a bad throw if they were both step in step with each other. AJ should have kept running straight and leaped to catch the ball over his headwith his torso facing the endzone instead of turning in and the backpeddling and trying to adjust to the ball while facing the ball with his torso.

wags said:
One other thing that really stuck out to me last night is that Carr is throwing off his back foot. I don't think I saw him throw a pass that he stepped through. I'm very disappointed in his "progress." That's a bad David Carr. :slap:

Funny post.

That's a bad Mr. Kitty. :slap:

ItsAJtime said:
Kubiak did take blame for Carr looking bad, stating that the plays he was given were not good. I think things will be fine. For some reason they are calling better plays for Sage. Sage gets to throw the ball down field more. Carr looks pretty good on roll outs, so I think we will see more in the regular season. Lets back Carr until a few regular season games are over.

Let's give Kubiak a break for early conservative play calling. The night before was the first time he saw his wife in a month.:coolb:

HOU-TEX said:
Both of the passes were decently thrown balls. The one to Moulds looked as if it was unexpected. Moulds appeared to come off the ball jogging. When he noticed the ball coming his way he then picked his speed up. If he was full speed the whole route, the ball would've been caught. The ball to AJ was basically a jump ball. I think 8 out of 10 times, he would've brought the ball down. This is what I saw. I sure others see it different, which is fine.:cool:

I agree on the Moulds catch....... the AJ throw........

no reason to air it out like that when a 5'8" corner gives AJ the inside.

Runner said:
Something like that.

I want Dre to get lots of chances to make plays like that - I want an aggressive offense. Just because it missed this time doesn't mean he won't make the play the next. He has to get his chances to be a big time receiver for this offense to improve.

Agreed. IIRC, isn't this the first game DC went deep? Hopefully there'll be more chances deep as the season progresses. If it was a regular season game, he would've caught it.:stirpot:

Moulds ran a Randy Moss "crusier route". That's the "I am not getting the ball on this pattern" route. When the ball went up and Moulds saw it in the air, he then tried to accelerate and catch up to it. He got caught napping.

coachdent said:
Moulds ran a Randy Moss "crusier route". That's the "I am not getting the ball on this pattern" route. When the ball went up and Moulds saw it in the air, he then tried to accelerate and catch up to it. He got caught napping.

agreed.......... I bet Kubiak ran all up & down his backside last night.

AJ's as well.

coachdent said:

Let's just hope all that junk is left here in the pre-season.:redtowel:

jerek said:
IMO there isn't a tremendous difference between any of our tight ends, other than Bruener's overall blocking ability. As Runner points out, they move in and out so much any way; no one TE received substantially more reps than the other last night IIRC.
As a practical matter, maybe that's the case with Kubiaks TEs. But I don't think the "starter" designation is randonly passed out, especially when the
game is the most important dress rehearsal for the regular season opener
and the starter is a rookie instead of one of the vets competing with
the rook for the position. Instead, perhaps we have a symbolic message being sent to whom it may concern ?

nunusguy said:
As a practical matter, maybe that's the case with Kubiaks TEs. But I don't think the "starter" designation is randonly passed out, especially when the
game is the most important dress rehearsal for the regular season opener
and the starter is a rookie instead of one of the vets competing with
the rook for the position. Instead, perhaps we have a symbolic message being sent to whom it may concern ?

I don't think that much should be read into it...I think on any given sunday, any one of our tightends could find theirselves being the "starter"...

infantrycak said:
Moulds was slow off the snap to set his guy up. Carr in an example of something he is not supposed to be able to do put a lot of air under the ball in an early thrown ball. 50/50 fault in my book going down to still figuring each other out. Moulds showed plenty of speed on the 2nd half of the route.

At first I was down on AJ for not making a play on that ball but looking at it closer he just got a little unbalanced such that he couldn't jump. Carr had every right to think AJ should have made that play because 80%+ he does. Just an off play--IMO a giant piece of going from a losing team to a winning team is having more of those close plays fall our way. Gonna take a while to click though.
I read both plays as you did. I am hopeful that Carr & his recievers will be on same page very soon.:redtowel:

Okay, this was the biggest pre-season game, as it was the 3rd and the startes played the most in. We knew it would be challenge playing a tough team in Denver, espically in their place. I think we did a few good things and some bad things.

Offensively, we got off to a slow start once again, something I did not want to see. David got sacked twice on 3rd down, threw a pic and our offensive line looked jumpy. We need to start off better on offense.

One thing that did impress me offensively was out two-minutre drive type situation before the second half. I thought David ran the offense very well in that situation, completing a lot of passes very fast paced. I think this is when David can shine is a fast paced offense in this system, we see a little bit of that last night in this situation. We got a field goal out of it, and I hate to make excuses but if it wasn't for ref. Ed Hockuley i think we could have potentailly got more (he explained a rule and the play-clock kept running), and this resulted in our delay of game penalty. Overall, I liked what I seen on this two-minute drill type offense.

In terms of the running game, it was descent, we left some yardage out their. We didnt do that bad, didnt do that great running the ball with Lundy/Moreceny.

In the second half, I think our first-team offense played better. We got another field goal. On our last first-team offense drive, Gary Kubiak let us go for it on 4th-and-1 which I feel was a good descision, but like I said earlier, we were jumpy at times and on this play Owen Daniels, the rookie, jumped and we foreced to punt. He's a rookie, it was loud stadium, it's going to happen. We do though need to get better on false start penalties by reducing them.

Overall on offense, a few good things, some bad things. We need to get off to a better start. I think we can and will get off to a better start offesively in the future.

On defense, we played well. Our defense kept us in this game. We made some nice plays. We got some pressure on the QB. I was espically impressed with the way our guys got of the field on 3rd down. We did give up that TD in the first half, but could have held them to a FG (Alfred Malone lined up against the center and resulted in an illegal formation penatly). As a result, our defense had a very short field to work with and gave up the TD.

We did play very well on defense, I liked us being aggresive. Defensive coordinator Richard Smith knows what he is doing. I thought we stopped the run decently, we did give up some yardage in this category though.

Overall defensively, we did play well. We have a young defense cetnered around Mario Williams and DeMeco Ryans. DeMeco Ryans played a good game. He's physical and smart. I like him and think he has the potentail to be an outstanding MLB. I think he was great steal in the 2nd round of the draft. This defense does excite me, we got alot of young talent.

This game featured, again, a few good thing and a few bad things. We need to get off to a better start offensively. We are playing good defense, thats encouraging. We did show some positvites on offense including the nice 2-minute drill type-drive. I thought our guys fought hard and played with determination and emotion. Thats a positive.

Continue to cheer us on fans, our boys are back and ready to play!
Go Texans!

One thing about our defense is it's going to be aggressive and probably prone to overpursuing the play at times. Those of us who were Oiler fans when "The Runt in Black" stalked the sidelines remember the way Richard Smith's special teams and linebackers played.

They're going to give up some yards from time to time. The aggression should pay off though and the Texans today strike me as more disciplined than the Oilers did back then. They look more focused which makes sense because Smith is probably a better coach today than he was back then.

thunderkyss said:
To be fair, we have no idea how wide open he may be in all those dump off situations.... If I saw him out their blocking, I'd assume those were called screens. But as I hadn't, I've got to imagine he/Moulds were either open downfield, and David didn't see them, or they never got open. But seeing how Derrick Lewis doesn't have a problem getting open, and he is on the second team(if he makes the team), I'm inclined to believe they just weren't noticed.

Why would you be inclined to believe that?

Andre isn't good enough to get open against other teams 1's.

He can't out jump or out muscle a 5'9" DB.

Ever stop and think that maybe AJ is the epitome of over-rated?

Lewis is good enough to get open against other teams 2's and 3's.

JMHO, as usual.

:coffee:

Something I've noticed over the preseason is that although Carr has started off slow in every game and then picks it up after a little while, he has gotten better in each game when he picks it up. He looked much better this game when he started rolling than he did in the first two games.

Carr played well, started slow but picked up as the game went on..

I can't believe we are in a toe to toe battle with THE denver broncos.

What the Heck!?!? AJ you telling me that you can't outjump Darrent Williams he's 5'8" for goodness sakes..

Morency was decent but Lundy was solid.

Moulds did a pretty good job.

Holy crap Ryans was everywhere.

Lewis Sanders did a pretty good job.

2 back to back offsides in a row.. What the Heck!?!?

My impressions of this game is similar to that of the Chiefs game. Carr was horrible to start off the game and made a lot of mistakes. He was better later on but you can't start of games so poorly in the NFL and expect to win a lot of games. Once again Carr seemed like he was throwing off of his back foot and just flinging the ball as hard as he could. That int he threw was inexcusable for a 5th year starting qb in the NFL. Also that fumble in the start of the game is not excusable. He hasn't shown any touch and he always seems to overthrow. I guess it's better to overthrow than to underthrow but he's got to show some touch on his passes instead of just firing fastballs. I wish I could look at some game films to see if there weren't any receivers open in the middle. Seems like the Broncos completed a lot of passes over the middle but Carr or the Texans couldn't do much of that. To many passes to our fullback and running backs. Overall I thought Carr had a pretty bad game. He needs to improve quickly. And I've been a DC supporter all along...

The rest of the team looked pretty good. The defense was excellent with Ryans and Sanders stood out. Mario was good. And Kris Brown connected on both of his field goal chances. Overall it was a good showing for our defense and our offense played well but we must get off to a faster start.

Hervoyel said:
One thing about our defense is it's going to be aggressive and probably prone to overpursuing the play at times. Those of us who were Oiler fans when "The Runt in Black" stalked the sidelines remember the way Richard Smith's special teams and linebackers played.

They're going to give up some yards from time to time. The aggression should pay off though and the Texans today strike me as more disciplined than the Oilers did back then. They look more focused which makes sense because Smith is probably a better coach today than he was back then.

YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! The kind of defense that's a joy to watch - I'll take some good hits and disruptive plays over "read and react", don't make mistakes, quiche-eating caution any day!!!!!!!!!!!

Nawzer said:
My impressions of this game is similar to that of the Chiefs game. Carr was horrible to start off the game and made a lot of mistakes. He was better later on but you can't start of games so poorly in the NFL and expect to win a lot of games. Once again Carr seemed like he was throwing off of his back foot and just flinging the ball as hard as he could. That int he threw was inexcusable for a 5th year starting qb in the NFL. Also that fumble in the start of the game is not excusable. He hasn't shown any touch and he always seems to overthrow. I guess it's better to overthrow than to underthrow but he's got to show some touch on his passes instead of just firing fastballs. I wish I could look at some game films to see if there weren't any receivers open in the middle. Seems like the Broncos completed a lot of passes over the middle but Carr or the Texans couldn't do much of that. To many passes to our fullback and running backs. Overall I thought Carr had a pretty bad game. He needs to improve quickly. And I've been a DC supporter all along...

The rest of the team looked pretty good. The defense was excellent with Ryans and Sanders stood out. Mario was good. And Kris Brown connected on both of his field goal chances. Overall it was a good showing for our defense and our offense played well but we must get off to a faster start.

I'm definetly not a Carr hater or a Carr backer, but there were others involved with the poor play of the first couple of series. Carr did make a couple mistakes but he's not the one that caused all the penalties, the sack, the bad punt, etc. There's still alot of improvement needed across the board IMO. Take a couple mistakes away and we would've won the game. And half of these bashing posts would even be here. :twocents:

tulexan said:
Something I've noticed over the preseason is that although Carr has started off slow in every game and then picks it up after a little while, he has gotten better in each game when he picks it up. He looked much better this game when he started rolling than he did in the first two games.

HeartofHouston said:
Carr played well, started slow but picked up as the game went on..
.. What the Heck!?!?

As long as teams continue to sub 60% of their starters in the second half, we should be OK

HOU-TEX said:
I'm definetly not a Carr hater or a Carr backer, but there were others involved with the poor play of the first couple of series. Carr did make a couple mistakes but he's not the one that caused all the penalties, the sack, the bad punt, etc. There's still alot of improvement needed across the board IMO. Take a couple mistakes away and we would've won the game. And half of these bashing posts would even be here. :twocents:

True enough.....

Back