Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

"Texans are taking a gamble every which way."

Are you kidding? Cutler was a legit pick for Tennessee and Leinart for the Saints. Then, reality came calling.

I went to Vanderbilt last year, and subsequently lived in Nashville. Other than some fans wanting for Cutler to be their guy, he was never taken seriously by the organization. Fisher didn't even show up to his pro-day (and it was in the same city). No one legitimately thought he would go that early.

Are we still going with McNair is a racist? I forget, what color is Mario and how much money was he given? What color is Rick Smith?

I wouldn't trade the young core of our Defense for any QB. The future for our D is bright b/c of Mario, otherwise we are starting Peek and Babin or Babin and Kalu. We have a strong, young, defensive core that should be dominant with a good free agency and another strong draft. If Landry and Russell are there at 8 I would take Landry. Of course I am a defensive guy.

If you wanna win, and win in the AFC South, you better have a defense.

My favorite arguement, I blew up this message board with this one. It is very evident that there is racism in the FO. We obvisously didn't get VY a hometown hero that would have brought tremendous money into Austin and Houston. And a huge number 8 jersey burning party. But Steve McKinney from Clear Lake H.S been here since the franchise started....hmm. He is a white guy on the infamous O-line squad...but we can't get someone that would bring MILLIONS into this Houston economy that would have paid off the stadium alone?? Since when did #8 did that?? UTexas lawyers from Austin to Houston would be sueing each other in big money just for Skybox seats. Now from a business prospective, do you really think McNair/Kubes/Cass made the right decision?? Ha, Ha, Ha....is what you get from every businessman/athelete is this NFL organization when you pass up millions over racism!!
:pigfly:

My favorite arguement, I blew up this message board with this one. It is very evident that there is racism in the FO. We obvisously didn't get VY a hometown hero that would have brought tremendous money into Austin and Houston. And a huge number 8 jersey burning party. But Steve McKinney from Clear Lake H.S been here since the franchise started....hmm. He is a white guy on the infamous O-line squad...but we can't get someone that would bring MILLIONS into this Houston economy that would have paid off the stadium alone?? Since when did #8 did that?? UTexas lawyers from Austin to Houston would be sueing each other in big money just for Skybox seats. Now from a business prospective, do you really think McNair/Kubes/Cass made the right decision?? Ha, Ha, Ha....is what you get from every businessman/athelete is this NFL organization when you pass up millions over racism!!

I am not trying to be a jerk, but I read through your post a couple times and it doesn't make much sense. Before you blast me, try to restate your point in a logical sequence rather than using one instance (the McKinney thing) to argue the whole. Racism is a very serious accusation, and in order to be made, there needs to be some logic (not just emotion) behind it.

I am not trying to be a jerk, but I read through your post a couple times and it doesn't make much sense. Before you blast me, try to restate your point in a logical sequence rather than using one instance (the McKinney thing) to argue the whole. Racism is a very serious accusation, and in order to be made, there needs to be some logic (not just emotion) behind it.

not necessarily- racism is not logical, or rational, by its very nature. it's a form of ignorance.

i would be shocked if we take a running back with the 8th overall pick. i say we should stick to defense and draft a DT. i have a strong feeling that kubiak and rick smith will stick to defense for the first 2 picks or so and then take a QB in the 3rd round or so. maybe kolb will be there, hopefully.

Hasn't Chester Pitts started every game for the Texans in their history?

There's not a demon behind every bush.

Racism is as much a problem of race "baiters" as it is for those who actually ARE racist. And to some degree, we are all a little "racist" whether we want to admit it or not. It never goes completely away, and it's in a person to varying degrees.

But it's nice to always have baiters around who so joyfully bring up race as the answer as to why things happen.

Thanks for everything...

I don't believe we should be taking a DT at #8 with the way our D line picked up its play in the second half of the season, even with the number of injuries it sustained. I think we should look for another DT in FA to add to Johnson and Maddox that has potetial to start. Too many top picks and too much money are already invested in this one area of the team to go that route again.

Get a hold of yourself....they passed up VY because he wasn't a very good passer. And...still isn't. You want to lean on the crutch you're leaning on fine by me. Just saying there big guy. Kubiak wouldn't care if the guy was orange with green polka dots. All Kubiak is interested in was can this guy run my offense ? Is he markedly better than what I got ? And the answer was no.
The answer was I got a Reggie White Prospect in my pocket...I'm taking him.
Barring Bud Adams interceeding on VY's behalf...he'd still be falling through the draft. He just isn't a very good passer. And acuracy IS the only thing that matters from an NFL QB. The windows are short, small and quick to close. Vincent might one day win a SB with his legs. Maybe. 52% is not going to cut it in the NFL. There are old QBs and Bold QBs, but there are no old, bold QBs in the NFL. Vincent's running days will be short in the NFL. So we made Mario the highest paid player in last years class. So what kind of racist does that make Mr. McNair again ?

Get a hold of yourself....they passed up VY because he wasn't a very good passer. And...still isn't. You want to lean on the crutch you're leaning on fine by me. Just saying there big guy. Kubiak wouldn't care if the guy was orange with green polka dots. All Kubiak is interested in was can this guy run my offense ? Is he markedly better than what I got ? And the answer was no.
The answer was I got a Reggie White Prospect in my pocket...I'm taking him.
Barring Bud Adams interceeding on VY's behalf...he'd still be falling through the draft. He just isn't a very good passer. And acuracy IS the only thing that matters from an NFL QB. The windows are short, small and quick to close. Vincent might one day win a SB with his legs. Maybe. 52% is not going to cut it in the NFL. There are old QBs and Bold QBs, but there are no old, bold QBs in the NFL. Vincent's running days will be short in the NFL. So we made Mario the highest paid player in last years class. So what kind of racist does that make Mr. McNair again ?

stick with the nonsensical claim you make regarding VY's accuracy. your last argument is (no surprise) even more bogus. the claim is, mcnair and kubiak may have a problem with black QBs, not with black DEs.

i would be shocked if we take a running back with the 8th overall pick. i say we should stick to defense and draft a DT. i have a strong feeling that kubiak and rick smith will stick to defense for the first 2 picks or so and then take a QB in the 3rd round or so. maybe kolb will be there, hopefully.

i completely agree with your sig.

i really, really dislike joe theisman, but he said one wise thing about the texans. SEA was running all over them in HOU, and he said "the texans problem is their big people (on defense) aren't very good." best thing ever said succinctly about the team.

If they didn't draft VY there is no way in hell they will draft Russell. We need to hope Gaines Adams, Leon Hall, or Branch are available when we pick. If we get any of those 3 guys I would consider the 1st Round a success. Joe Thomas or Calvin Johnson are going to be long gone and they are the elite prospects imho. AP would be be included with them but he has the injury stigma and the high mileage on his tires courtesy of Stoops. If AP is available at #8 I think we should look hard at him. The fact that he was willing to do so much to help his team says measures for his character, heart, and competitive fire....even if it was to the detriment of his physical condition.

oh and Lynch is garbage imho. Just another Tedford-style product West Coast stat factory ala JJ Arrington.

If Sam Baker OT grades well in the combines I wouldnt be against us using the #8 on him as well.

I was on the Draft Landry bandwagon earlier cause it was such an area of need but from what I saw in the Sugar Bowl, I didn't see all that much to show he merits that early of a pick. He was always around the ball so he can read the QB but I didn't see the physical tools taht would validate such an early pick.

Yet you advocate drafting Leon Hall who got torched on at least 1 play i know of off the top of my head by a guy who will be a possession WR on the next level? Something's wrong with that picture.

:secret: Nobody's saying that Landry isn't a great player, but he's a Roy Williams starter kit, and that's about it.

If you want a headhunter who will go for the ESPN highlight reel hit on every play, who might completely blow coverage twice a game and miss tackle once because he wants to blow through instead of wrap up, he's your guy. He's perfect for a team with two good corners and a quality free safety.

He'd get us killed... :shades:

Give me Nelson. :marionaner:

I agree with you on this. And for the people that argue with this its the point that (in my opinion) they dont want a black QB. Carr was supposed to be the great white hope and he just didnt come thru.What other organization would have put up with carr for 5 years and would still consider him for a six. This is still the south ive faced it.

I agree with you on this. And for the people that argue with this its the point that (in my opinion) they dont want a black QB. Carr was supposed to be the great white hope and he just didnt come thru.What other organization would have put up with carr for 5 years and would still consider him for a six. This is still the south ive faced it.

Detroit was going to start Harrington for his sixth season if he didn't want out of Detroit so Badly.

But I could've sworn Tony Banks was a black QB..... he was brought in as a veteran to mentor David Carr into the league.. I know hypocrits are out there & everything, but to think a team would bring in a black QB to mentor their "Great White Hope" But wouldn't start a black QB is just stupid.

Vince was the right pick.... we should have picked Vince, instead of waste the last 5 months confirming what many already felt.

Or not allowing Banks to start in '05....... that wasn't a very smart move either.

But neither happened because of racism.

David was the starter, and this wouldn't be a problem had he played the way many thought he was capable of playing. (why people would think he was capable of playing is a bigger question to me).

But if we had Drew Brees, and passed on Vince, would that be because the Texans are racist?? I don't believe so. The people who passed on Vince thought David could contribute to a team as much as Brees does to his. Let's hope that person was relieved of his duties.......... or at least has learned to stay in his owners box & wave at the crowd every now and again.

Couldnt Disagree more with your point. Not getting VY had alot more to do with economics and having a starting QB already under contract. By the time Kubiak was involved in the decision process [not opinions before he was hired] Carr was allready extended and Kubiak looked at the team needs. Our Defense was the biggest glaring need. The WCO doesnt need an all-pro QB to work, but a game manager. It didnt make fiscal or team sense to strap the club with 2 fat contracts for 1 starting position. Thus they drafted for Need on Defense. This point has been beaten ad-naseum since the draft last year.

IMO - VY is a good QB and would have been the Texans pick if Carr had not been extended on his contract when the draft came around.

:secret: Nobody's saying that Landry isn't a great player, but he's a Roy Williams starter kit, and that's about it.

If you want a headhunter who will go for the ESPN highlight reel hit on every play, who might completely blow coverage twice a game and miss tackle once because he wants to blow through instead of wrap up, he's your guy. He's perfect for a team with two good corners and a quality free safety.

You have that totally backwards If anybody that's Nelson's style to try & make the "espn" hit. Here's the proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zw7nxl4qa4.

Notice how many times he lunges out hitting someone & not wrapping up just throwing his shoulder out. Also how he's diving all over the place & not protecting deep.

stick with the nonsensical claim you make regarding VY's accuracy. your last argument is (no surprise) even more bogus. the claim is, mcnair and kubiak may have a problem with black QBs, not with black DEs.

52% is a fact. And my opinion is...it ain't going up. You're the one who is nonsensical in your assurtion that they have a problem with a black QB. Those are your words not mine. Your misinterpretation not mine.

You love Vincent...fine. But he's not Doug Williams and is never going to be Doug Williams. He is a glorified Joe Cap...nothing more. My opinion is they took one look at the Baylor and Oklahoma State game tapes and saw all they needed to see on Vincent.

That's a real bad assessment of LaRon Landry. I'm sorry but he is anything but a ESPN highlight reel hitter on every play. He rarely blows coverage and also wraps up his tackles better than most safeties in this draft. The things you have him being bad at are what he does best. He has already learned the motions of the game and he is probably the most NFL ready safety in the league. Nelson might end up being the more dangerous player.

is what you get from every businessman/athelete is this NFL organization when you pass up millions over racism!!

Yeah.. With their African American GM.. Sorry, but to bring race in to this arguement is invalid. We've argued the selection of Mario over Young and Bush for the past 9 months and will continue to do so until Kingdom Come at this rate. However, name this what it was all about-- I'll deal wit the money factor arguement but I REFUSE to take the arguement that selecting Williams was a "race thing".

Also, as for the "South" arguement, considering Houston is a town that widely accepted Warren Moon with open arms, I'll question the validity of that one too.

52% is a fact. And my opinion is...it ain't going up. You're the one who is nonsensical in your assurtion that they have a problem with a black QB. Those are your words not mine. Your misinterpretation not mine.

You love Vincent...fine. But he's not Doug Williams and is never going to be Doug Williams. He is a glorified Joe Cap...nothing more. My opinion is they took one look at the Baylor and Oklahoma State game tapes and saw all they needed to see on Vincent.

Only thing wrong in this post is the spelling of Joe Kapp's name.

I wonder if some will claim you are a racist for comparing Vince Young to a Hispanic QB.

Lynch and Benson are nothing alike. Benson had double (almost triple) the amount of touches that Lynch had in his college career and is more of a pure running back rather than a versatile Brian Westbrook or Edgerrin James type.

In case no one else noticed, Reggie, Vince and Mario are all African American. How could this have been a thing about race?

Really?? I just thought the guy had a bad case of 5 O Clock Shadow... :aikido:

I didn't put Mario's color in to the arguement because it wasn't neccessary to do so. Unless The whole "passing up millions over racism" arguement was retarded to begin with. Thanks for the reminder that Williams was black though. I guess I don't follow my team enough to know that our top pick was black.

Lynch is overrated. I would say he is a 3rd round talent... and people are putting him top 10? are you kidding me? I would take Deangello Williams and Lawrence Maroney (late 1st round backs in last years draft) way before I would take Lynch.

Laron Landy, yes he is like Roy Williams, except not even that. He will make big hits he ll come up alright on the run, but he will not be good at covering. I would much rather a less flashier player, who just gets the job done. Michael Lewis from the Eagles and Reggie Nelson get my vote, I do not really want Landry.

The best talent that might be available at our pick is Alan Branch. He is huge, and that would make our defensive line have potential to be the best in the nfl.

I think they (the redskins) would take Gaines Adams, because yes they are hurting at defensive line, but when building a defensive line you always start at the most important position, defensive end. Gaines Adams is a good talent, he isn't a giant, he isn't blinding fast, but he knows how to get to the quarterback and I think fundamentally, he is the best defensive end coming out of the draft in years.

I think they (the redskins) would take Gaines Adams, because yes they are hurting at defensive line, but when building a defensive line you always start at the most important position, defensive end. Gaines Adams is a good talent, he isn't a giant, he isn't blinding fast, but he knows how to get to the quarterback and I think fundamentally, he is the best defensive end coming out of the draft in years.

Oh, if Adams falls to them, they'll take him no question. However, do you see him falling past Tampa Bay and Arizona?

Also, as for the "South" arguement, considering Houston is a town that widely accepted Warren Moon with open arms, I'll question the validity of that one too.

Now I know how the Jim Rome listeners feel because after that comment I just spit coca cola all over my keyboard. Ask Moon if it was all peachy for him

And not that I remotely agree with any racist or claims of racism talk on this board, but at some point you have to take note that a QB is the face of a franchise, not a DE or a RB. So it is at least feesible to figure that if McNair were a racist\bigamist\supremist that he would rather have a white\anglo QB than a race he considers inferior------hypothetically of course

Now I know how the Jim Rome listeners feel because after that comment I just spit coca cola all over my keyboard. Ask Moon if it was all peachy for him.

In the deep south, if you're a QB, you'll NEVER be completely accepted by everyone. Sad facts are, there are still people who think it's 1961. By and large though, was Moon acceped by Houstonians as a whole? I'd say yes.

In the deep south, if you're a QB, you'll NEVER be completely accepted by everyone. Sad facts are, there are still people who think it's 1961. By and large though, was Moon acceped by Houstonians as a whole? I'd say yes.

I think you meant Black QB, but I find your statement to be more correct as you wrote it. No QB is ever completely accepted by everyone. They are all just one muffed play away from being a goat. Just ask Tony Romo. :shades:

I completely disagree with that statement.

I don't believe racism is a Territorial thing. There is plenty of racism scattered throughout the united states. Some of the most bigoted, narrow minded people I have ever known live in Chicago. McNabb is in Philly and there is talk on replacing him despite three NFC championships and a Superbowl.

As far as McNair passing on a black QB b/c he didn't want a black face representing the franchise is a "Dee Dee Dee" statement considering Young was the hometown hero that most everyone wanted. Even causing Mattress to whip out two pull page add in the Houston Chronicle.

What was the injury that Bush (Louisville) suffered? We might be able to go defense or OT with our first selection and grab a RB in the second.

Back