Texans and the 2019 Season....

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by OptimisticTexan, Feb 4, 2019.

1. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

NFL season is over and I guess now is as good as any to begin the 2019 talks. I read a cool little article by Dan Graziano, ESPN in which he lays out 10 predictions for the 2019 season. Texans were the discussion in points 2 and 10.

02. He predicts the Texans will sign LeVeon Bell. He figures Bell won't need much encouragement to sign with the Texans b/c he'll be joking the tandem of Watson and Hopkins. I could see that. He predicts the deal will be along the lines of Gurly's deal....so I would expect the Texans to offer a contract in the neighborhood of 4 Yrs @ 56-60M with a big signing bonus and maybe half guaranteed. I wouldn't be opposed to this either since I personally view Bell as a difference maker with this offense.

10. I guess based on the move to sign Bell, probably another outstanding off-season by our very own Gaine, and another solid draft.....he's got the Texans losing to the Saints in Super Bowl LIV. If this team gets to the Super Bowl, I don't think the Saints would stop them b/c it would be highly likely they beat some dang good teams to get there.

This is pretty dang positive and was caught off guard when he had the Texans in the Super Bowl. I guess we can all chat it up as to how Cal, Gaine and OB make this happen.

Seegara likes this.
  2. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

IF you get past the Pats, then you should win the SB.
    A lot would have to change from 2018 for that to happen.
    Here's my list:-
    1. We would have to have a good year in regards to injury down time.
    2. Our oline woes would need to be resolved.
    3. Watson would have to make a nice big step up in his developement which would include learning to get rid of the ball faster and taking what opposing defenses give him (first downs are a priority).
    4. Our running game will need a solid upgrade.
    5. The defensive secondary needs an upgrade.
    6. Coaching is going to need to be smarter - this will be easier if the previous points come to fruition.
    If these criteria are met, the Texans will be very effective and hard to beat.
    Is it possible? I guess, but the offseason looms as being crucial to this plan.

3. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

Biggest progress Watson could get next season....OB shutting down those long developing plays until he has an OL that would give such plays time to develop. I'd also be very happy if the receivers would be taught how to cut their routes and find dead zones to sit and wait for the ball. Thomas was very good at this, the rest of the receivers run the designed routes as if Watson had all the time in the world to find them 30 yards downfield.

4. maverick512000

maverick512000 All Pro

Agree with all points and if BoB is worthy of being an NFL coach and Gaine can pull a little magic out of his hat like he did before I can see all being possible. At first I was against signing Bell because of his price tag but the more I think about it the more ok I would be. BoB likes to run them up the middle, no idea what Kelly likes so we'll just go with what we've seen, ok fine then get a RB that can bulldoze his way through. Watson himself said that he was looking for the big plays to much in the early games and now that he has had a bad game in the playoffs he might settle down a bit more and realize sometimes the assured 5 yards are worth more than the possible 15 yards. Nothing against him, he's just a young QB so he'll learn and I think learn fast.

About the only thing that coaching or fresh talent can't help with is injuries and that's just a risk any team takes. Yeah if Watson goes down we are screwed but no more screwed than Saints would be if Brees went down or Pats if Brady went down. All this makes me believe in what I've been saying more than ever, BoB earned a one year stay of execution by going from 0-3 to 11-5 this season so I'm willing to see how 2019 plays out. If we don't make some noise this season though, maybe not a SB but at least getting to the AFC championship game, then yeah I'll agree time to move on. Of course the real question is if Cal would agree to that.

5. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

He also needs to improve his mental clock and be more willing to go to the checkdown and take 4 instead of looking 15+. How fast can he recognize post snap? He neeeds to make a decision within 1.5 secs of snap

We really need a healthy Fuller

I sometimes wonder if the WR coach understands the system well enough to teach it. Routes change depending on what the defense shows, QB and WR's need to see the same thing. Brady is a coach on the field and will teach the WR's or they're gone. Watson needs to be that, but it's gonna take time. Confidence is huge

6. maverick512000

maverick512000 All Pro

You know you can replace "WR" in that with pretty much any other two letters in football coaching. :troll:

CWTexansFan, ATXtexanfan and JB like this.
  7. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

On the Texans anywho

8. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I have zero confidence an OB led team will win the SB, but I do love surprises. In jest, I have commented we'll need to wait on our XFL team to win a championship in Houston. Neither will likely happen.

NastyNate likes this.
  9. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

We had the Gamblers and even the Oilers when you were a Coastie?

10. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

The Rams & Pats in no small way each got to the SB because of the relatively weak divisoins they played in and that's not the case anymoe for the AFC South which of course had two teams in this years P/Os.
    It's also very unlikely that we sign FA Bell this year.

CWTexansFan, maverick512000 and JB like this.

11. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

JB likes this.
  12. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

As far as the running game is concerned, the Pats used an old school style of game with a big mobile FB making holes for the RB - Develin the FB did a great job this year and showed how valuable the FB position is in building an effective ground game.

Texas Jake, CWTexansFan and JB like this.
  13. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

14. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I was wondering if any of the various start up league teams had won a championship. The female football team the H-Town Cyclones did. Does anyone actually remember the all female football league existed? Off football, I was a big fan of the Comets for a while until they fell apart.

NastyNate, CWTexansFan and JB like this.
  15. maverick512000

maverick512000 All Pro

Does the lingerie bowl count?

CWTexansFan and JB like this.
  16. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

lingerie football league

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    ObsiWan and CWTexansFan like this.
  17. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Wow, this would have probably been more entertaining than yesterday's game

CWTexansFan, Wolf6151 and ATXtexanfan like this.
  18. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Paint drying and hair growing are also worthy candidates for more entertaining.

CWTexansFan and maverick512000 like this.
  19. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

It was good to watch from a coaching aspect. I thought Belichek did a masterful job.

CWTexansFan and Wolf6151 like this.
  20. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Imagine this place if a BOB coached SB team only scored 3 points like the young super coach McVay's team did.

CWTexansFan likes this.