Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans and our predicted schedule

thunderkyss said:
In fairness, we've still yet to draft an OLinmen sooner than the third round.

and we picked a DT in the first last year.

Wasn't Chester Pitts a second-round pick?

Koruptified, I hate to remind you of how many times we have beat the Jags since the beginning of our franchise, and we didn't have NEAR the fire power we are going to have this year. (Last year, well nevermind, you know the answer.) Our QB will be protected and that will be dangerous, and your quarterback better watch out for "SUPER MARIO"!!!!
:stirpot: :yahoo:

Here are the games I'm almost 100% positive we'll lose:
Philadelphia (we won't be ready for them 1st game of season)
@ Indianapolis (see Eagles)
Washington (too many weapons on both sides)
@NY Giants (Very good team in very tough stadium)
@New England (Winter in Foxborough + Brady)

Here are games we have a slight chance of winning:
Miami (Depending on Culpepper's situation)
@Dallas (Great team, but rivalry gives us a shot)
@Jacksonville (Tough game, but we always play them well)
Indianapolis (Playing them at home this close to the end, they may be resting)

Here are games we have an even chance of winning:
Tennessee (VY might be playing, otherwise this is a lock)
Jacksonville (We play them very well, and at home, expect a win)
@Oakland (Brooks to Moss could be great, or could be nothing)
Cleveland (Made a lot of additions, look good on paper, how will that translate?)

Here are games we absolutely should win:
Buffalo (This team has no QB and is rebuilding)
@NY Jets (Didn't add QB or RB help, clearly rebuilding)
@Tennessee (We hit them early in the year @Tenn, should be a W)

So based on this, our minimum record is 3-13.
Now lets say we win half the games we have an even chance of winning (2) and win 1 of our reach games (1), that puts us at 6-10. I'd be happy with that.

Bob McNair said:
This is the Dom Capers school of thinking - never ever try to improve by more than 2 games per season! Some times a team gets on a good or a bad roll and they are not as wonderful or as awful as their record indicates. Jacksonville is not as good as 12-4, the Texans are not as bad as 2-14.

In reality many teams improve a lot in one season. The Chicago Bears went from 5-11 to winning their division. That was with their first round draft (4th overall), C. Benson doing nothing for them.

I had no optimism going into 2005 - we added Travis Johnson, M. Greenwood, and P. Burnt and let Sharper and Glenn go - and we were suppose to improve?

This year we add Moulds, Putzier, Cook, Weaver, and Cowart and we draft Williams, Ryans, Spencer, and Winston and you think we can only win approximately half as many games as in 2004? If we did nothing we should bounce back to 7-9.

My prediction before the draft would have been that (drafting Bush) the Texans would win 7 or 8 games in 2006. However, since Mario is a better football decision than Bush (by a lot to give up $100 million in PR) they should win 9 games minimum.

Yes, the bar is raised. Yes, 6-10 should be considered a failure not a success. When you pass on Bush and Young to take Mario, that may well be the best football decision - in fact it had better be because you are the one raising the bar on yourself Coach Kubiak!

A.) This is a prediction, not a "school of thinking" regarding football philosophy. Besides, the guy had an expansion franchise! Good grief, man, did you really expect him to get into the playoffs by year three? Sheesh! B.) This stuff about Jax not being as good as 12-4 and Texans not as bad as 2-14 is a lot of hooey. You are what your record says you are. Nuff said. C.) Heavens to 2005. Your expectations are way, way too high. Some people never learn their lesson.

Tampa Bay??
5-11 in '04..... wins division 11-5

the sky's the limit.

A.) They won the SB just a few years previously. It's not like they didn't have the makings of a bounce back already with them. B.) They kept their coach. The Texans didn't. Nuff said.

gtexan02 said:
Here are the games I'm almost 100% positive we'll lose:
Philadelphia (we won't be ready for them 1st game of season)
@ Indianapolis (see Eagles)
Washington (too many weapons on both sides)
@NY Giants (Very good team in very tough stadium)
@New England (Winter in Foxborough + Brady)

Here are games we have a slight chance of winning:
Miami (Depending on Culpepper's situation)
@Dallas (Great team, but rivalry gives us a shot)
@Jacksonville (Tough game, but we always play them well)
Indianapolis (Playing them at home this close to the end, they may be resting)

Here are games we have an even chance of winning:
Tennessee (VY might be playing, otherwise this is a lock)
Jacksonville (We play them very well, and at home, expect a win)
@Oakland (Brooks to Moss could be great, or could be nothing)
Cleveland (Made a lot of additions, look good on paper, how will that translate?)

Here are games we absolutely should win:
Buffalo (This team has no QB and is rebuilding)
@NY Jets (Didn't add QB or RB help, clearly rebuilding)
@Tennessee (We hit them early in the year @Tenn, should be a W)

So based on this, our minimum record is 3-13.
Now lets say we win half the games we have an even chance of winning (2) and win 1 of our reach games (1), that puts us at 6-10. I'd be happy with that.

No way they win in Dallas or Jax. And if you don't think Cleveland is a lock, then the Texans may be in for a real, real, REAL long season.

Bobo said:
A.) They won the SB just a few years previously. It's not like they didn't have the makings of a bounce back already with them. B.) They kept their coach. The Texans didn't. Nuff said.

Try optimism instead of being pestimistic all the time. We were on the rise our first 3 years, last year was a fluke, a bad system that was doomed from the start. If your players don't believe in what you are doing there is no chance. Hell last year I pretty much knew what we were gonna do on offense,so no doubt our opponnents did. Tampa's turnaround is not something that never happens,look at the Chargers 4-12 to 12-4,Cowboys 1-15 to the playoffs the next year. It is not impossible.

whiskeyrbl said:
Try optimism instead of being pestimistic all the time. We were on the rise our first 3 years, last year was a fluke, a bad system that was doomed from the start. If your players don't believe in what you are doing there is no chance. Hell last year I pretty much knew what we were gonna do on offense,so no doubt our opponnents did. Tampa's turnaround is not something that never happens,look at the Chargers 4-12 to 12-4,Cowboys 1-15 to the playoffs the next year. It is not impossible.

The Texans were on the rise because of their coach. He had nothing to work with because there was basically nothing out there available except NFL rejects and green rookies. He got them to exceed their talent level. The mirrors broke last year because the lack of talent could no longer be masked. So the Texans got rid of the reason for their steady improvement over the first three years. Now all they have is a few good players and an overall lack of talent. Tampa kept their coach, like I said, rather than lose patience, panic and throw the baby out with the bath water.

Bobo said:

a few years previously, we were 7-9.......

they went from 1st round losers to the superbowl in one year, with a coaching change.

Bobo said:
No way they win in Dallas or Jax. And if you don't think Cleveland is a lock, then the Texans may be in for a real, real, REAL long season.

As a Redskin fan and a close follower of the NFC East I'd have to say the Dallas Cowboys are entirely overrated. They have horrible chemistry and play with absolutely no heart. Forget about Terrell Owens. Brian Dawkins/Lito Shepphard can slow him down and Shawn Springs/Sean Taylor can shut him down(look at his games hes had againts us let alone every other reciever besides Reggie Brown/Eagles).

As for Cleveland I think their mediocore at best and you might have a shot againts them. Jacksonville Jaguars are the Washington Redskins version of the AFC. No respect(somthing redskins are just now getting), tough time on offense but improved majorly this offseason, good defenses, and good coaching.

Bobo said:
The Texans were on the rise because of their coach. He had nothing to work with because there was basically nothing out there available except NFL rejects and green rookies. He got them to exceed their talent level. The mirrors broke last year because the lack of talent could no longer be masked. So the Texans got rid of the reason for their steady improvement over the first three years. Now all they have is a few good players and an overall lack of talent. Tampa kept their coach, like I said, rather than lose patience, panic and throw the baby out with the bath water.

Then explain to me outside the 3 coaches we kept, and Capers who only got a DC job,where are the other coaches? UNEMPLOYED, thats where. Why? because they are not any good. Our team was Predictable,boring and outclassed. Team talent level,yeah some of it ,Coaching blunders and inability to draft right, FA moves all part of it. When you have a bad job performance you don't stick around, well McNair got rid of the coaching problems,and Kubiack is getting rid of the non-talent problem,all while addressing team needs and getting a better coaching staff,and better talented players, NUFF SAID!

thunderkyss said:

they went from 1st round losers to the superbowl in one year, with a coaching change.

Umm, wasn't the coach they got rid of that Tony Dungy guy, who wasn't so bad in the first place and didn't exactly get drummed out of the NFL? And didn't he kind of lay the defensive groundwork for the championship run anyway? And didn't he get his team into the playoffs to begin with? I don't think this is a good analogy. And you are forgetting that TB went from 5-11 to 11-5 -- WITHOUT firing their coach.

Looking at the sked, unless the Texans can beat either Miami or Jax (both at home, but certainly not given), they could very well end up losing their first nine games.

whiskeyrbl said:
Then explain to me outside the 3 coaches we kept, and Capers who only got a DC job,where are the other coaches? UNEMPLOYED, thats where. Why? because they are not any good. Our team was Predictable,boring and outclassed. Team talent level,yeah some of it ,Coaching blunders and inability to draft right, FA moves all part of it. When you have a bad job performance you don't stick around, well McNair got rid of the coaching problems,and Kubiack is getting rid of the non-talent problem,all while addressing team needs and getting a better coaching staff,and better talented players, NUFF SAID!

At the risk of being redundant, Capers was indeed up for the Detroit job. Also, there were a lot of other good coaches who didn't get HC jobs this time around either. Wade Phillips, for one. The charge of "inability to draft right" can be leveled at just about every NFL team around. Hits and misses -- par for the course for everybody. And I can recite to you a litany of coaches (Cowher, Gruden and Holmgren, Paul Brown for example) who had "bad job performances" only to bounce back and take their teams to major accomplishments a year or too later. I don't really see Kubiak dealing with the non-talent problem as he brought in a bunch of mid-level to lower level players -- which is what you'd expect in FA for the most part, but why act like it's the beginning of a revolution when it's not? The coaching staff is certainly not "better" as it is green as grass and the head guy hasn't been head coach during an NFL game his entire life -- unless Shanahan took a day off, which I don't recall happening. Capers has a better resume than Kubiak, that's for sure as he took Carolina to within a game of the SB and got the best record for a first-year team ever in the history of the NFL.

Bobo said:
At the risk of being redundant, Capers was indeed up for the Detroit job. Also, there were a lot of other good coaches who didn't get HC jobs this time around either. Wade Phillips, for one. The charge of "inability to draft right" can be leveled at just about every NFL team around. Hits and misses -- par for the course for everybody. And I can recite to you a litany of coaches (Cowher, Gruden and Holmgren, Paul Brown for example) who had "bad job performances" only to bounce back and take their teams to major accomplishments a year or too later. I don't really see Kubiak dealing with the non-talent problem as he brought in a bunch of mid-level to lower level players -- which is what you'd expect in FA for the most part, but why act like it's the beginning of a revolution when it's not? The coaching staff is certainly not "better" as it is green as grass and the head guy hasn't been head coach during an NFL game his entire life -- unless Shanahan took a day off, which I don't recall happening. Capers has a better resume than Kubiak, that's for sure as he took Carolina to within a game of the SB and got the best record for a first-year team ever in the history of the NFL.

Well then lets say my glass is half full ,your's is half empty. And IMO we will be 3-5 or 4-4 after week 9.

Bobo said:
Umm, wasn't the coach they got rid of that Tony Dungy guy, who wasn't so bad in the first place and didn't exactly get drummed out of the NFL? And didn't he kind of lay the defensive groundwork for the championship run anyway? And didn't he get his team into the playoffs to begin with? I don't think this is a good analogy. And you are forgetting that TB went from 5-11 to 11-5 -- WITHOUT firing their coach.

Isn't that what you are saying about Capers & us??

whiskeyrbl said:
Well then lets say my glass is half full ,your's is half empty. And IMO we will be 3-5 or 4-4 after week 9.

Unless they can beat either Miami or Jax at home -- neither given -- the Texans could very well lose their first nine games.

Bobo said:
Hint: The Texans fired their coach. TB didn't.

TB fired Dungy, went from first round losers to superbowl champs....

Houston fires Capers, go from 2-14 to the playoffs......

Tampa went from 5-11 to 11-5...... no coaching change.....

Houston will go from 2-14 to 13-3 with a coaching change....

Bobo, you say that we're not going to be winning many games, I believe you said 4 this year, because we were the worst team in football last year at 2-14. Then you go on to say that if you don't think it's a lock for us to beat Cleveland then we're in real trouble? Follow your own advice man, we were the worst team in football last year, nobody is a lock for us to beat. When we had our best year under Dom Capers and had a chance to finish at 8-8 for the first time, we lost to what was at the time one of the, if not the, worst football team in the league in the Cleveland Browns. And guess what, it wasn't even a close game. That's when the uninspired and disorganized football truly reared it's ugly head for the first time in my mind. After that I felt Capers lost this team, last season wasn't just poor because of our record, it was poor because Capers and his staff couldn't inspire this football team to play competitively for 60 minutes anymore.

You guys do realize that every team's message board in the league is doing the exact same thing we are doing right now, and virtually all of them are writing us off as a "lock" for them to win? I can guarantee you nobody is looking at the schedule and saying, "Oh crap, we'll be lucky wo make it out of Houston with a W." No average football fan has any reason to believe we're going to improve next year. The media doesn't care about defense, or offensive lineman. They care about guys like Reggie Bush, Vince Young, and Matt Leinart. Expect to see us pegged as underdogs in nearly every game we play this year. But expect something else too, expect to see this team play with guts again. Expect to see offensive playcalling that makes sense, and a more aggressive defense. We don't have the superstars the media loves that will get us labelled as a sleeper by ESPN this year, but we've got the corner stones this team has been lacking since it's inception in Mario Williams and our new offensive lineman. We've also got a Coach now who's got a winning philosophy, and the ability to get players to play for him.

I see us going 6-10 this year, but 6-10 with Kubiak will be much different than 6-10 with Capers. We'll see alot of potential on both sides of the ball, and we'll be in alot more close games that will build character and experience to help this team in the future. I can't wait.

you know playoffs hard but not unealsitic. i think we go about 8-8 or better. we have a strong d and our offense is becoming amazing!!!!3 top receivers, some good te's, a good qb, plus depth all around the oline and the backfield? wow i think that is tight!!!!! check this davis has been a thousand yard bac since he has been a rookie...all 3 yrs???? HELL YA!!!!! can you imagine how great he'll be with an improved oline......come on. quit hatin and look at the roster for cryin out loud. i think davis will have between 1500 and 2000 yrds this season:superman:

Bobo said:
Looking at the sked, unless the Texans can beat either Miami or Jax (both at home, but certainly not given), they could very well end up losing their first nine games.

DANG aren't you Little Mary Sunshine, why stick around if you so SURE we will tank 1st NINE games. I am sure Dallas Cowboys or some other team could use a ray of sunshine like you to cheer them on.:brickwall

thunderkyss said:
TB fired Dungy, went from first round losers to superbowl champs....

Houston will go from 2-14 to 13-3 and lose to the Washington Redskins in the Super Bowl with a coaching change....

Fixed it for you :ok:

thunderkyss said:

might as well bring up what has Tony D done in Indianapolis, playoffs and wins BUT nothing much in terms of getting to the BIG game.:stirpot:

IIRC, we've always played Indy very well........... for the first half. If we can put together a second half, we can beat them............

twice.

Haha remember how disapointed everyone was when we lost that first game? We thought we were the jokes of the NFL..

Bobo said:
It's one thing to "root, cheer" and urge them to "try, try to win every game." That's part of being a fan. And you can even hope they go 13-3. But this team hasn't improved nearly enough to go 9-7. And 13-3? Please. This reminds me exactly of last year when folks were predicting the same kind of records and playoff appearances when they had absolutely no reason to do so. This kind of thing only sets Kubiak up for failure. If Kubiak gets, say, six wins (reasonable accomplishment, more than I think he'll get) then folks will say he failed because he didn't get them to a winning season. The expectations last year were way overblown and any prediction of more than six wins this year is pretty unrealistic.

Any time you don't have a winning season and miss out on the playoffs, it is a failure. You play to win, not to feel good about yourself. This is not little league.

thunderkyss said:
We will sweep the Colts.... mark my words. The first win, will be because they'll still be wondering what went wrong in the playoffs..... they'll be looking to beat us early, to get them back into the winning rhythm....... when we stomp that a.s.s. they'll be sent into a tailspin they won't recover from.

We're sweeping the Jags...... We're going to make Leftwhich look so bad they'll be screaming for Gerard..... next time we play them, we'll have them screaming for Leftwhich.

We're sweeping the Titans...... I shouldn't have to give any reasons..... you know it, I know it.... Fisher knows it.

We'll probably loose to the Giants, and the Raiders are going to impress everyone. Brooks to Moss....... you'll see them both in the proBowl. We'll be undefeated at home, and only lose three on the road..... Patriots, Raiders & the Giants....
We're going to win our division(duh) and will play in the AFC Championship game. I'm sorry, but my Magic 8 Ball keeps telling me to consult it at a later date.
This has to be about the funniest post on this whole thread. Sweep the Jags or the Colts. LMFAO! You may go .500 against the Titans, but do have a chance to maybe sweep them. I say at best you all go 8-8.

Bobo said:
A.) This is a prediction, not a "school of thinking" regarding football philosophy. Besides, the guy had an expansion franchise! Good grief, man, did you really expect him to get into the playoffs by year three? Sheesh! B.) This stuff about Jax not being as good as 12-4 and Texans not as bad as 2-14 is a lot of hooey. You are what your record says you are. Nuff said. C.) Heavens to 2005. Your expectations are way, way too high. Some people never learn their lesson.

Let's make a bet - say $1 million - if the Jaguars win 10 or more games than the Texans in 2006 you win. If the Jaguars only win 9 more (or fewer) games than the Texans - I win. Because according to you the Jaguars ARE 10 games better than the Texans. :challenge

Dom, I see in your other posts in this thread you are defending the job you did coaching the Texans and even insisting the Texans would have been better served to keep you as the coach! (Tampa Bay only improved because they kept their coach). Yes Dom had a quick start at Carolina - winning the most games the first year and getting to the NFC Championship the next year. But then the team fell off sharply. Dom took the lesson from this of "do not try to improve your team too quickly - build very very slowly for the future". The problem is by planning to improve by only one to two games per year by the time you get to the playoffs - half your players are in the old folks home!

Actually I did not expect the playoffs in year 3. In year 4 I DID expect more than just signing Greenwood and Buchanon and releasing Sharper and Glenn (without improving the worst o-line in history) and claiming they had improved the team! :brickwall

My expectations probably are too high. In year 4 (I know - of an expansion team!) I expect more than 2 wins. Glad you enjoyed last seasons record. Good luck in Miami. :rolleyes:

jagibelieve said:
This has to be about the funniest post on this whole thread. Sweep the Jags or the Colts. LMFAO! You may go .500 against the Titans, but do have a chance to maybe sweep them. I say at best you all go 8-8.

Texans vs Colts

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
(Colts lead 8-0)
2002 Colts, 23-3 (HOU)
Colts, 19-3 (IND)
2003 Colts, 30-21 (IND)
Colts, 20-17 (HOU)

2004 Colts, 49-14 (IND)
Colts, 23-14 (HOU)
2005 Colts, 38-20 (HOU)
Colts, 31-17 (IND)
(Points: IND 233, HOU 107)

yeah they hammered us in 2002, BUT barely beat us in 2003, at home in 2004 we took them on a ride. As I recall in 2005 we had them close at halftime before they pulled away.

Texans vs Jaguars

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
(Series tied 4-4)
2002 Texans, 21-19 (JAX)
Jaguars, 24-21 (HOU)
2003 Texans, 24-20 (HOU)
Jaguars, 27-0 (JAX)
2004 Texans, 20-6 (HOU)
Texans, 21-0 (JAX)
2005 Jaguars, 21-14 (JAX)
Jaguars, 38-20 (HOU)

(Points: JAX 155, HOU 141)

If we had played like we should have in 2005 we win both games setting up back to back sweeps of Jags (they also don't go to playoffs)

TENNESSEE TITANS
(Titans lead 6-2)
2002 Titans, 17-10 (TEN)
Titans, 13-3 (HOU)
2003 Titans, 38-17 (TEN)
Titans, 27-24 (HOU)
2004 Texans, 20-10 (TEN)
Texans, 31-21 (HOU)
2005 Titans, 34-20 (HOU)
Titans, 13-10 (TEN)

(Points: TEN 173, HOU 135)

We should have swept Titans too, I don't know if losses were so bad, or if team had just lost it's way...BUT in both games we had chances to take a win and didn't.

We might have had we not been so bad won 1 or 2 from Colts, However it will be hard for Manning to handoff to Edge and throw as defense is frozen expecting a run. I think 1st time he does it...SACK, then he wakes up and realizes no one fears his NEW RB and he begins to run away (ever seen Peyton Manning throwing on run....HEHEHEHE) :yahoo:

The past is past. This team went 2-14. To think that they are a lock against anybody is pretty foolish. This team was just a tipped pass and a fumble recovery away from being 0-16. Close games are a part of the NFL. There will always be close games, and the goal is to win them. If you don't, then you've simply lost another game -- be it by 7 points or 35.

Bobo said:
The past is past. This team went 2-14. To think that they are a lock against anybody is pretty foolish.

Bobo said:
And if you don't think Cleveland is a lock, then the Texans may be in for a real, real, REAL long season.

Jeez, you'll say anything to get things stirred up won't you? First you jump all over me for thinking Cleveland might have a chance against us (they have had arguably the best offseason) then 2 pages later, you jump all over people who claim the same thing you did? What?

Back