Texans among teams that are interested in trading for Bears #1 pick (#26)

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by ThaShark316, Apr 27, 2006.

1. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

Texans | Team interested in acquiring another first round choice
    Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:05:30 -0700

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports the Houston Texans, who own the first pick of the second round, are interested in trading up and may have a potential partner in the Chicago Bears. The Bears own the No. 26 pick and may be interested in trading down.

From kffl.com

Thoughts?

2. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

Winston? A specific CB?

3. TexasJedi

TexasJedi Hall of Fame

Babin II? This does fit with Casserly talking about his hope that guys they want being around when they pick in round 2. I hope this is a precaution, but at least let a trade be for someone like Jonathan Joseph, Jason Allen, or D'Qwell Jackson. Hopefully no trade is necessary.

4. Johnny Utah

Johnny Utah All Pro

Here we go again. Our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to move into the 1st round.

Hopefully, we can get a better deal & better player this time around.

My guess on player is Antonio Cromartie.

5. Blu

Blu All Pro

:redtowel:
    Winston or Ko Simpson (Safety)!

#26 would rock.

6. Eyeguy

Eyeguy Veteran

It would have to look like this:

Texans give:

#33=580
    #65=265
    #66=260
    #97=112

total 1217 pts

Texans get:

#26= 750
    #57=330
    #90=140

total=1220

Don't know if I would make that deal.

7. Htown34s

Htown34s Veteran

IMO they must be targeting Johnathan Joeseph CB from SC. I just did a mock and the two 3rd rounders aren't looking that great actually. If we give them our 2nd and one of our 3rd's then we could get our choice of CB's or OT's.

I'm also thinking that they've identified OT's later in the draft that fit just as good or better than some of the OT's rated higher. It looks like Marcus McNeill will be there at #33, but he may have weight issues. If you're looking for a starting CB you're talking 1st round.

8. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

THe past makes me say "Somebody stop him!!!!" But he did a decent job with Free Agency & I still believe his leash will be very short on Draft day. So, I would be OK if we dont give away excessive draft picks for it. Is the corner, J.J. from SC that good?

9. pittbull

pittbull All Pro

Somebody please stop charley! PLEASE!!!!

10. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

If we get an offensive lineman it will be good move.

I wonder though, if this could possibly be a move to perhaps get Manny Lawson. This would make up for not getting Williams maybe.

Doing this, does it bring more value to the 3rd rounder we got from N.O. in the Travis Johnson trade? I think it might because with that 3rd we may be able to go up to the second.

11. Htown34s

Htown34s Veteran

5-11/193 and runs 4.3's! JC transfer, only 1 season at South Carolina. Needs to develop some skills, but is already excellent playing with only speed and natural instincts.

Originally projected as a 2nd rounder, there is a good chance now that he'll be gone by #26 even.

12. 4Texans

4Texans Hall of Fame

I will really have to figure out who the Texans are targeting before I'd be happy with trading up again. I'm not a Babin Basher, but I'm don't know why we traded up for him. And I would hate to see us do it again and not get any real value out of it.

13. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Noooooo! There are plenty of good players in this draft. We need more than one player. If someone they like gets picked, go to the next guy you have on your board. If anything, trade down. We need more, not fewer players. This guy is a complete buffon. Somebody get Casserly out of the damn draft room before he pulls another Babin. Jeez, he never learns does he. :brickwall :brickwall

14. Htown34s

Htown34s Veteran

Plus this move shouldn't be as drastic as the jump up to get Babin. There isn't a lot between #26 and #33...

15. Johnny Utah

Johnny Utah All Pro

On nfldraftcountdown.com they have....

#19 CB Antonio Cromartie
    #20 CB Tye Hill
    #21 CB Richard Marshall
    #23 CB Jonathan Joseph
    #31 CB Kelly Jennings

My guess is they will be moving up for this run at CB during the draft.

16. Texansfan30

Texansfan30 Rookie

NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!

If this is true, someone jackknife a cabbage truck in front of Charley's car, quick!

Deepest draft in years, you don't want to trade away picks to move up now. PERHAPS, on draft day, you do it if someone on your board is still there and you think you could take him. But not now.

I would be MUCH happier if they waited until draft day, then once it got to their 2nd pick, they traded DOWN a few spots to pick up more picks. This draft is very strong through the 3rd round, and I would love trading down from #33 to #38-#40 in order to pick up an extra 3rd rounder.

The Babin trade will go down as one of the stupidest in Texans history. Let's NOT repeat it.

17. Texan_Kev

Texan_Kev Rookie

Texans | Team interested in acquiring another first round choice
    Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:05:30 -0700

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports the Houston Texans, who own the first pick of the second round, are interested in trading up and may have a potential partner in the Chicago Bears. The Bears own the No. 26 pick and may be interested in trading down.

18. wrestler4life

wrestler4life Veteran

so we can get another Babin???

19. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

Very interesting, though I half suspect KFFL is full of it (the guys that "broke the story" on the Texans trading Carr for Ricky Williams and a second.) I am not sure what the Texans would have to gain by jumping what, six spots? that late in the first round. I suspect it is going to cost us but yes, this is a deep draft, pretty much all the way through the first round, so hell it is possible that there is a player they have their collective eye on.

If true, and IMO that is a very big if given the source and our current draft position, then the likely pickup is Eric Winston of Miami: fills a much needed T spot. Or ... say they are looking to draft Mario Williams, and they are looking to trade back into going for another RB, say a Laurence Maroney (who some mocks do have falling that far?), because of Davis' durability concerns. On that note, I also find it strange that for all we have heard about some of our players this offseason, we have heard not a peep about Domanick Davis or where he fits into their game plan, with or without Bush. Maybe DD is on his way out, or will factor into this trade with the Bears?

Now -- if that is their thought process -- is this their plan A, or is this plan B in case Bush doesn't act right in negotiations?

20. CoastalTexan

CoastalTexan Veteran

Jonathan Joseph, I pointed this out earlier in the year. Mcnairs USC alumni adn he likes USC players, we went for Dunta, and Williamson, this year it's Joseph.