Texans 5 down linemen yesterday...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Mean Machine, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Veteran

Was I seeing things, but it seemed to me we lined up in a 5-2-4 yesterday a few times with Bentley and Cush at LB and Mario, Okoye, Smith, Cody and Anderson on the line.
    It worked well.

2. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Seems like with the excelling of Mark Anderson, we got the ability to do with him what we were doing with Baldwin.

3. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I don't knkow, but Okoye had a hell of a game yesterday. He was in the backfield most of the game.

buddyboy likes this.
  4. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

That was the second game that we seemed to get some pressure with our front four.... what changed?

5. JWarren14

JWarren14 Beer Me

Which Baldwin brother was it?

Anderson has been a pleasant surprise, not a impact player, but is good for a few positive plays a game. The loss of Barwin was really underrated.

6. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    As a fairly loud critic of Okoye, I have to admit it was nice seeing his number behind some OLmen.

7. GP

GP Go Texans!

We also had our CBs pressing their WRs at the line, too. Though this could be due to knowing that the rookie deer-in-the-headlights QB was not going to torch us on it.

I don't know why our CBs are not pressing their man more like they did Sunday. Because they are so "young and new to the game of football?" LOL. Look, make them stick to their man...let the safeties come over and provide over-the-top help. Just let those guys play football and figure it out.

It's as if they are children out there and we can't allow them to get hurt.

Let's see how awesome we are vs. the Eagles. In Philly. On national TV. Because we traditionally do not fare well vs. mobile, athletic QBs. Even Sanchez was avoiding the pressure and making plays. Now think about the mobility and savvy of Vick. He's going to eat us alive...just when it looks like we're getting to him BAM! he's out of the pocket and racing for a 15-yard gain.

And then this Titans win will have officially worn off. Quickly.

Look, I'm at the point to where I have no more grace for this team. Congrats on beating up on small children and the elderly. What have we done vs. really good teams who handle their business on a consistent basis? Nothing. We look like the small children and elderly. That's what happens. It's the circle of life. It's the food chain. Until some day, somehow, this team decides it's finished with the shenanigans.

8. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

Jason Allen in the secondary?

9. GP

GP Go Texans!

If Frank Bush has learned anything from last year's debacle vs. the Titans on MNF (when VY ran rings around us) then he's going to use a LB and spy Vick the whole game.

Switch it up and make Cushing be the spy for a few plays, then make another LB be the spy and blitz Cushing. This will send Vick into panic mode. He has to be taught that somebody is always watching him and waiting for him to flee the pocket.

But let's face it: We won't. We will rush four linemen, thinking we can get pressure on Vick. Meanwhile, the Eagles notorious beefy, pass-blocking o-linemen will absorb our d-linemen and Vick will be free to go nuts on us.

We need a miracle. And a miracle would be that Frank Bush has finally "gotten the memo" and understands that his defense can't matchup the same when facing teams who have a mobile QB.

10. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

This may sound like an old cliche, but the only way we're going to have shot at beating Philly, is to keep the ball out his hands.

Run the football, and run it some more. Throw it deep to stretch the field, and then run the ball some more. Eat up the clock.

It's on defense where Bush is going to have think outside the box.

If AJ is suspended, that will suck, but they are going to have to go deep anyway.

11. fiasco west

fiasco west Hall of Fame

Could be, it was noted that McCain did not play yesterday.

12. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

I don't think all is completely lost if AJ is suspended for one game. Hell the Eagles got burned by the Bears WR's, of which the most nameable player is Devin Hester because he rules at returns.

It's not the offense that I'm worried about, it's the defense giving up 5 million yards a game through the air (Yesterday notwithstanding). But the Eagles looked entirely beatable yesterday, especially if we somehow transport the Brian Cushing that showed up yesterday to Philly with us. Oh yeah, and bring the Amobi Okoye that showed up yesterday too, that'd be swell. And that Glover Quin, not the other one we've been seeing all season.

13. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

I like this idea but I don't think it will happen. The way you keep a QB uncomfortable out of the pocket is to make him scramble to his non-dominant side. This would mean we would need Sharpton to keep Vick from moving outside the LT.

However, if Sharpton is able to do that fairly well then Brian could have a nice game keeping him from making plays if he scrambles outside the RT.

14. 97roc

97roc Veteran

I haven't had a chance to rewatch the game, but I don't remember seeing Sharpton much. Thats doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't effective, but I know he played well the game before. I wonder if gets the call to start in front of Diles again.

15. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Eagles are really good at screens too. I dread watching Vick + McCoy + Desean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin. They're going to have 4 guys on the field that are faster than any of ours.

16. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Great, don't tell Kubiak you have to pound the rock, cause then he'll script 6 strait pass plays.

BTW, jamming at the LOS is the only shot we have at covering their receivers. Jackson and Maclin are WAY too fast for KJ and company.

17. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

Well, when you know they aren't going to have much success throwing the ball, you line up against the run. It's tough for CJ to go anywhere when the D has 7-9 guys in the box each play.

18. burro

burro almost sentient

Our only hope for beating Philly is to get a big game out of Mario. As someone said, the best thing you can do with a guy like Vick is force him to the opposite side to which he throws. We may not get a sack the whole game, but if Mario and and co on the right side of the defense can force Vick to roll to his right, our chances improve dramatically. This is assuming of course that we'll be able to catch Vick and tackle properly if he decides to tuck it and run, something I'm not terribly confident about.

19. hradhak

hradhak Site Contributor

Our ability to stop the delay type plays (screens, delay runs, draws, etc.) was atrocious at the beginning of the season. I think we have improved significantly, but this one is going to be about minding our gaps and staying home. Screens are defensible, we just have to play them right.

20. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Came back to this thread just now to make a correction to a realized mistake. Beat me to it.