Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans 2013 NFL Draft, Rounds 4, 5, 6, & 7

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
Hmmm.. wonder if Antonio Smith moves to NT and Montgomery comes in as DE instead, since picking up T. Williams.. If i'm not mistaken i thought Smith played some NT in Arizona 34, but i could be wrong
I think it is more likely to see Montgomery backup Smith, if he plays at DE. We don't need to move Antonio Smith around. Let's not fix something that isn't broke.

PapaL

Loose Screw
ewww after watching some game film he is pretty explosive, might need to bulk up as he gets man handled alot imo, but seems to have good speed.
He's 6'1" 240. Bulk up really? Did he steal your bicycle or something? Why so down?

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
Sam Montgomery may be better iside than out.
Interesting that you say that. I am writing my grades for the draft, and had the same thought. Obviously we have to see what he looks like in coverage, but with is football sense and lack of burst, it might be a good idea.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I think it is more likely to see Montgomery backup Smith, if he plays at DE. We don't need to move Antonio Smith around. Let's not fix something that isn't broke.
This is what I'm thinking. Montgomery will learn from Ninja this year then take Ninja's place when his contract is up. If the kid shows promise, then Antonio doesn't have to take so many snaps/game.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
This is what I'm thinking. Montgomery will learn from Ninja this year then take Ninja's place when his contract is up. If the kid shows promise, then Antonio doesn't have to take so many snaps/game.
I thought that was Crick's job.

Are we dealing with the NT situation by moving Crick there?

bckey

All Pro
Some players I have left on my list.

Ryan Swope, WR, Texas A&M
Marcus Davis, WR, Virginia Tech
Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama
Terry Hawthorne, CB, Illinois
Jonathan Stewart, ILB, TEXAS A&M
Blaize Foltz, G, TCU

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame

It wouldn't hurt to have Montgomery to help Crick and Jamison.

I'm not sure Montgomery has the size needed to play the DE position, but who knows. He looks like a guy that can get after the QB, regardless of where you put him.

I hope we don't move Crick to NT. I like him where he is at.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Montgomery will via to start LOLB then kick inside to LDE in pass rush situations & Williams comes in as Pass Rush LB.

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
He's 6'1" 240. Bulk up really? Did he steal your bicycle or something? Why so down?

haha na but watch all his games, the guy gets man handeled unless he gets a jump and around his man, but going straight up the boy does nothing.

Texn4life

All Pro
Lattimore is going to sit out the season and could be a key contributor for them the next year
I was saying it jokingly. They have a stable back there though. If all are healthy even excluding Lattimore they'll be beastly with the receivers they've added this off season and with Williams and Manningham coming back.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

hmmm... let's think about the front seven rotation...

Mercilus/T.Williams
Watt/Crick
Mitchell/??
Smith/Montgomery
Reed/Braman
Cushing
Sharpton/???

Now was it Braman or Reed folks were talking about moving to ILB. Williams gives Wade that option.

drs23

Veteran

Mercilus/T.Williams
Watt/Crick
Mitchell/??
Smith/Montgomery
Reed/Braman
Cushing
Sharpton/???

Now was it Braman or Reed folks were talking about moving to ILB. Williams gives Wade that option.
Like everyone else I heard Gary talking about moving Reed inside and actually lined up inside a few snaps last season. I've not heard Braman's name mentioned to do the same.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
All signs are that we are moving someone inside, so it is probably Brooks Reed.

It's that or we are targeting a free agent or someone via trade.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame

Mercilus/T.Williams
Watt/Crick
Mitchell/??
Smith/Montgomery
Reed/Braman
Cushing
Sharpton/???

Instead of position by position, I break it down like this because I think it's more accurate in how Wade likes to rotate:

OLB: Mercilus/Montgomery/Williams/Braman
ILB: Cushing/Reed/Sharpton/Dobbins
DE: Watt/Smith/Crick/Jamison
NT: Mitchell/???

We can possibly use Crick at times in the NT rotation, but I'd prefer to keep him at DE. I think we're going to be looking through the FAs for an NT and I'm hoping we get someone we like later.

But... I'm hoping someone like Swope drops to us, too.

Mercilus/T.Williams
Watt/Crick
Mitchell/??
Smith/Montgomery
Reed/Braman
Cushing
Sharpton/???

Montgomery is only 260. Too small for DE.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
hmmm... that's where he played at LSU...

...and he's listed as a DE on the HT.com roster

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster.html

but what do they know
:kitten:
The Press Conference Link
And here's what Herring said:

(on if he envisions Montgomery lining up over the tight end initially) “That’s a great question. What we’d like to do is we’d like to start him out on the tight end as a SAM position. First, we have to find out can he drop and how adequate he can be. If he can make the transition and drop to the point where first and second down, he’s not hurting the football team and he’s okay or at least adequate in his job. The other things that he brings to the table could make him an outstanding player and a potential star for us someday. That’s what we see, starting him out at SAM. We’ve got to find out. Then, if he can’t, we always have the easy transition to move him over to the weak side and say you rush 95 percent of the time, which we know he can do off the edge as he did as a d-end in college. We try the most difficult task first. We throw him in the fire and see if it works. At the least, we see him as having sub-rush value which right now, with Connor Barwin moving on and having Brooks Reed and (Whitney) Mercilus, the only other outside backer we have on campus is Bryan Braman. This guy, Bryan has talent, speed and ability, but this guy right now possesses a very raw power in speed to power rush that could help us as far as depth and pass rush as the year goes on. So he does fill a void.”
Looks like OLB to me.