Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans 2013 NFL Draft, Rounds 4, 5, 6, & 7

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
If they don't plan on moving Reed on the inside, I'm really surprised we didn't pick up an ILB at all. Right now all we have after Cushing is Dobbins, and Sharpton. Dobbins is okay, just not starting material. Sharpton has way too many injury issues, and cannot stay on the field.

I hope the front office can at least get one more guy in Free Agency, because i do not feel comfortable with that ILB position, if they don't move Reed inside.
meh...
first, Herring sez "could be, we'll see."

then, GK sez "probably not, but who knows"...

The real question is: WWWD? What WILL Wade Do?
it's HIS defense.

wolf123

Rookie
Did you hear Rick and Gary on 610?

They pretty much said it's not happening. Now, they could get in camp and try him there and like it, but at this moment it doesn't seem like they have any plans of moving reed to ilb full time.

They said they are comfortable with his versatility and ability to play there, but. They said he is an excellent solb and wouldn't move him from that position.

They better get on the same page down there on Kirby.
Of course they would say that because there is no plan right now. They have to see how Montgomery can drop in space. I have no doubt that its a strong possibility.:gamer:

Porky

Hall of Fame
Nice. A moderator calling a poster a derogatory name.

I guess being a moderator has its privileges. Way to set the example.
It's all good lol. I know Vinny, and have met him a couple of times. Good guy, super smart about football and I know he's just messing with me.

I know Da'Rick is a douche, but he has undeniable physical talent. I think if you put him on the team and let him see a pro like AJ go to work, that he has a chance to be special IF (and it's a huge if) he can grow up and put this stuff behind him. I would absolutely be on the phone trying to sign him to a FA contract.

Rey

Of course they would say that because there is no plan right now. They have to see how Montgomery can drop in space. I have no doubt that its a strong possibility.:gamer:
Jmo but based on what I heard I strongly doubt he's going there.

I won't completed rule it out, but it makes sense that if they believe Reed is a beast solb (which they pretty much said), then it makes little sense to move him from there considering the circumstances.

People can judge for themselves, but from what I heard it sounds as if they have no intentions at all of moving him there....at this point.

Just based on what I heard if I had to bet, I'd bet that he'd be the starting solb to start the season.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
It's all good lol. I know Vinny, and have met him a couple of times. Good guy, super smart about football and I know he's just messing with me.

I know Da'Rick is a douche, but he has undeniable physical talent. I think if you put him on the team and let him see a pro like AJ go to work, that he has a chance to be special IF (and it's a huge if) he can grow up and put this stuff behind him. I would absolutely be on the phone trying to sign him to a FA contract.
first time I met Porky, he took his hood off and actually shook my hand when I gave him some free game tickets for him and his clan. - true story. That may have just been a hat though.

Perki-Perk

DieHard Texan!

I won't completed rule it out, but it makes sense that if they believe Reed is a beast solb (which they pretty much said), then it makes little sense to move him from there considering the circumstances.

People can judge for themselves, but from what I heard it sounds as if they have no intentions at all of moving him there....at this point.

Just based on what I heard if I had to bet, I'd bet that he'd be the starting solb to start the season.
I haven't seen much mention of Brahman...Thought he'd be a lock to get more time at either LB position. Dude is heart and hustle every down.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Wade can make do without a good NT I understand that. Don't you think Wade could do more with this def with a weapon as a NT. If HOU stands pat we can expect the same problems I just want to see improvment Watt cant do it all by himself.
Remember the guy you're looking at..... who are we talking about now? Jesse Williams?

Let's see what he does in the NFL.

The guy you're looking for is rare. While you probably see one or two in every draft, hindsight says something totally different, may be one in every 3 drafts. Just like a QB, you have to be in position to get him, or you have to make do without.

Do I think Wade is sitting there thinking, "Damgubnit..... we've got to get us a NT!!! By gawd."

No.

If there's a guy there he thinks we have to have, he'll make his case to Rick & Gary. If we picked someone else, that means one of two things.

1. They don't see the guy you see - the guy you're looking at isn't as special as you think he is. Sure, I respect your ability to analyze & rate these guys, but they're putting their livelyhood on the line passing on your guy while the only thing you have at stake is your internet rep.
  2. They don't see the need you see - same thing...

Rick Smith, Gary Kubiak, & Wade Phillips don't have the luxury to defend their ego (even though we accuse them of it all the time). They guys they pick either have to get it done, or they're out of a job. Sure, Bob has been very patient, But you don't become one of the more successfull offensive coordinators, defensive coordinators, Or a successful scout without coming to terms with & accommodating differing opinions.

The Texans aren't looking for a traditional NT. The Texans don't see a need for a traditional NT. That should be obvious, from Seth Payne to Chris Jones the Texans have shown us what they're looking for. (I know Seth was employed by a different regime, but the philosophy appears to be intact).

You can continue to try to prove you're smarter than the Texans, or that you know better. But you come across as someone out of touch with the Texans M.O.

Kinda like McClain.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
If they don't plan on moving Reed on the inside, I'm really surprised we didn't pick up an ILB at all. Right now all we have after Cushing is Dobbins, and Sharpton. Dobbins is okay, just not starting material. Sharpton has way too many injury issues, and cannot stay on the field.

I hope the front office can at least get one more guy in Free Agency, because i do not feel comfortable with that ILB position, if they don't move Reed inside.
I truly believe we would have picked Arthur Brown, which is why the Ravens leap-frogged us to pick him. I have similar, not quite as strong, feelings about the 49ers jumping us in the 3rd to get OLB Corey Lemonier

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

He will play where Wade wants him to play.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Man, the Rams got a nice UDFA to work with.
I still don't understand how Kenny Vaccaro got drafted and Cody Davis got passed on.
His tapes look better in the same conference.
His test numbers are superior.
He basically blew up the Super Regional with a 4.42 and topped it with a 41-1/2 vertical.
He can do everything Vaccaro did, only better.
And I haven't heard of any off the field concern with him.
Anybody knows something?

Even Bucky Brooks at NFL.com said that he was very impressive:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000158634/article/lawrence-okoye-cody-davis-shine-at-super-regional-combine

Last edited:

bobbeaux

Noob
I truly believe we would have picked Arthur Brown, which is why the Ravens leap-frogged us to pick him. I have similar, not quite as strong, feelings about the 49ers jumping us in the 3rd to get OLB Corey Lemonier
prior to the draft, i felt ilb was a huge need and was even pushing for 1 of the top 3 in the 1st and wr in the 2nd . . . then as we went thru the combine and more reports on players became available (not to mention the teo media fiasco) and also more detailed discussions on wade's defense on this board, it became apparent to me that safety was a bigger need even after the reed signing . . . in hindsight of the way the draft fell, we would have needed an early 2nd to get a wr we were comfortable starting day 1 and i'm assuming we couldn't find a trade down partner . . . i'm not so sure the texans were looking at arthur brown so much as the ravens watched minter, alonso and even bostic come off the board in the 2nd . . . other than minter, i believe that was too high for those players and brown actually dropped . . . the only thing that seemed odd to me is that we didn't at least take reddick with one of our 6ths, but maybe there is more to the story about him that we don't know . . . i am also happy about the olb and ol depth added and this draft seems to give the texans options we didn't have before . . . i still feel we could improve our depth at ilb and possibly other positions, but i don't believe we see many more moves until the june 1st cuts.