Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans 2011 Salary Cap Figures?

However, they haven't publicly stressed the significance of re-signing Mario like they have done with other players like Demeco, OD, and AJ in the past few seasons.
Ryans and Daniel were restricted free agents. Andre's contract was below market value. This is Mario's last year on his contract. This is the usual point where teams extend their star players, and I've heard nothing coming from the Texans that Mario isn't a big part of their future. Only fan speculation.

Ryans and Daniel were restricted free agents. Andre's contract was below market value. This is Mario's last year on his contract. This is the usual point where teams extend their star players, and I've heard nothing coming from the Texans that Mario isn't a big part of their future. Only fan speculation.

I think the reasoning behind Mario's next contract suggests that the Texans are going to wait until after this year. First, he's changing positions and they'd like to see how he performs. Second, the new CBA still allows the franchise tag, meaning they will retain leverage on keeping him. And third, this is a make or break season for the coaching staff, if Kubiak doesn't make it the next coach/GM should be part of the resigning decision.

I think the reasoning behind Mario's next contract suggests that the Texans are going to wait until after this year. First, he's changing positions and they'd like to see how he performs. Second, the new CBA still allows the franchise tag, meaning they will retain leverage on keeping him. And third, this is a make or break season for the coaching staff, if Kubiak doesn't make it the next coach/GM should be part of the resigning decision.
I'll bet the lockout will make McNair give Kubes & Co. another shot unless we wind up with the #1 overall pick in the draft again.
Good points in your post, though.

According to my count, the Texans are well south of $100 million for this season's cap. :faildetector: Furthermore, the only substantial contracts that would be difficult to restructure would be Winston's and Okoye's... Neither contract is huge. The two biggest hits against the cap are Schaub and Mario. Since Schaub's deal is up in 2012 and Mario's in 2011, the Texans could easily restructure and extend either of those and save millions of dollars in this year's cap.

The point is: the Texans won't be constrained by the cap in free agency. If they don't spend this season, then I owe guys like Steelbtexan and Secondhoneymoon huge apologies. They have argued, consistently, that Bob McNair is a cheap owner who is much more concerned with the maximizing profits then he is with building a winner. We will find out who was right in the next week or two, because the Texans are in good cap shape and are looking at the deepest and most talented group of free agents this millenium. That's exciting!

Lol, thank goodness your not a cap guru. Texans are just $7.6m under the cap according to the post above mine.

The point is: the Texans won't be constrained by the cap in free agency. If they don't spend this season, then I owe guys like Steelbtexan and Secondhoneymoon huge apologies. They have argued, consistently, that Bob McNair is a cheap owner who is much more concerned with the maximizing profits then he is with building a winner. We will find out who was right in the next week or two, because the Texans are in good cap shape and are looking at the deepest and most talented group of free agents this millenium. That's exciting!

Well, Dale, if there is no TRUE cap--which is being heavily speculated by the media right now--then you and some others can probably bet your asses that Bob McNair is not going to outbid other teams for Aso.

In fact, I'll go even further and say that I don't think he can spend what it's going to take to get even the 2nd or maybe even the 3rd best CB out there. Because those agents are going to drive up the price of their players, since they now full well that a "no cap" environment means teams can spend MORE.

I'm to the point where I want to ban myself from the boards until after the end of the first day of free agency. Because until that day comes and goes, I fear that this place is going to be an Anchorman gang fight.

No use in anybody speculating anything, IMO. Because the proof will be in the pudding after the first day of free agency is finished. Either Bob will have sucked it up and become a big boy, or he won't.

Yeah, a lot of you guys might need to save room for double portions of crow. Now, exactly which "side" will be eating crow is a whole other issue.

then you and some others can probably bet your asses that Bob McNair is not going to outbid other teams for Aso.

In fact, I'll go even further and say that I don't think he can spend what it's going to take to get even the 2nd or maybe even the 3rd best CB out there.
What is the basis for this other than unwavering pessimism?

I have done a search and couldn't find anything relevant. So it looks as though there is now a tentative agreement for the 2011 cap to be 120 million. Any idea where the Texans stand currently with cap room, and what kind of impact would this new cap have on our current situation?

In the Bullseye doesn't show anything past 2010.
http://www.inthebullseye.com/cap2010.html

I know it may be tough to forecast. But was hoping to have some discussion as to what type of flexibility we may have if/when FA begins. Who we may cut, who we go after, estimated budget, etc...

Here is what Keith Weiland, the person who maintains this cap had to say about it

Keith , Administrator

I am so majorly behind on 2011 cap updates that I really don't have a clear sense of where they stand currently. The NFLPA has been a bit more tight on sharing their salary data too, and that will make it a little more difficult to catch back up. That said, I don't feel much different from what I posted in this thread in May.

Also, expect a lot of cap casualties here in the next 10 days or so. I also suspect that if the Texans really wanted to create some cap room, they could sign Mario to an extension, maybe Schaub too.

The real wildcard here in pursuing Aso is that the cap floor ought to encourage teams with a ton of cap space to spend lots. I'm curious to see how long of a deal Aso wants to sign as well.

you can read the entire thread here

Ok, I am going to click my heels 3 times and say... "I wish I was a super rich billionaire owner-slash-super fan of the Texans, I wish I was a super rich billionaire owner-slash-super fan of the Texans, I wish I was a super rich billionaire owner-slash-super fan of the Texans...

****... Didn't work. I guess we will see what Bob is all about in the next few weeks.

Ok, I am going to click my heels 3 times and say... "I wish I was a super rich billionaire owner-slash-super fan of the Texans, I wish I was a super rich billionaire owner-slash-super fan of the Texans, I wish I was a super rich billionaire owner-slash-super fan of the Texans...

****... Didn't work. I guess we will see what Bob is all about in the next few weeks.
Probably would have worked if you were in Kansas.

Ok....I was wondering cuz I totally had my ruby red slippers on and everything.
uh, okay. As long as everything did not include a mini skirt? You are a guy right? I don't remember too many of your posts. Anyway back to the thread....

What is the basis for this other than unwavering pessimism?

So the kid who has drunks for parents and knows he's living in hell until he's 18....that kid, when he talks about his environment, is a pessimist? Or is he relaying his reality in truthful, yet matter-of-fact ways? That's extreme, I know, but still.

We don't exist in a vacuum here. It's us versus multiple teams out there who have more to spend than we do, unless everyone's projections are all jacked up. Tell me how it's being a pessimist to express doubt? Only good vibes allowed here? Oh, I forgot: I have to go and chronicle the myriad of moves I would have made if I were owner or GM. LOL. That's always what comes next. Every time.

Should I pump sunshine up everybody's tailpipe, and espouse feelings that make people feel better?

Our team is, and has been for awhile, behind the 8-ball and a bit slow to make what most consider to be obvious moves. This owner, Bob McNair, will waste an entire YEAR on seeing if his boy David Carr can make it or not (even after having NOT made it for several years prior to his Sweetheart Year with Kubiak). Same with Dunta--Made him hang around a year too late, as well, for what??? Just because. He gets weepy when we ALMOST won an overtime game against the Ravens. Right Track, baby!

So, "yeah," I feel it's OK for me to express doubt on something as crucial and clutch as THIS particular free agency cycle. It's sort of important, and patterns don't forecast a good ending. Sue me. But sometimes things get whacky...sometimes tables get turned...I just don't put good odds on it.

And yet I'll be here, glad to have NFL football. Glad to have a Houston team. Hoping those guys get it pulled together and we see something different than we have had in the past decade--Legitimate ability to get into the playoffs AND go further.

So the kid who has drunks for parents and knows he's living in hell until he's 18....that kid, when he talks about his environment, is a pessimist? Or is he relaying his reality in truthful, yet matter-of-fact ways? That's extreme, I know, but still.

We don't exist in a vacuum here. It's us versus multiple teams out there who have more to spend than we do, unless everyone's projections are all jacked up. Tell me how it's being a pessimist to express doubt? Only good vibes allowed here? Oh, I forgot: I have to go and chronicle the myriad of moves I would have made if I were owner or GM. LOL. That's always what comes next. Every time.

Should I pump sunshine up everybody's tailpipe, and espouse feelings that make people feel better?

Our team is, and has been for awhile, behind the 8-ball and a bit slow to make what most consider to be obvious moves. This owner, Bob McNair, will waste an entire YEAR on seeing if his boy David Carr can make it or not (even after having NOT made it for several years prior to his Sweetheart Year with Kubiak). Same with Dunta--Made him hang around a year too late, as well, for what??? Just because. He gets weepy when we ALMOST won an overtime game against the Ravens. Right Track, baby!

So, "yeah," I feel it's OK for me to express doubt on something as crucial and clutch as THIS particular free agency cycle. It's sort of important, and patterns don't forecast a good ending. Sue me. But sometimes things get whacky...sometimes tables get turned...I just don't put good odds on it.

And yet I'll be here, glad to have NFL football. Glad to have a Houston team. Hoping those guys get it pulled together and we see something different than we have had in the past decade--Legitimate ability to get into the playoffs AND go further.

The way I look at it is Bob McNair, Gary Kubiak, Rick Smith & company are hungry to win, at all costs. They're mentality should be to overspend as much as possible if the end justifies the means. The big hurdle is not so much the money or cap thing its convincing players Houston is going to be a winner so you need to get in now :logo:

uh, okay. As long as everything did not include a mini skirt? You are a guy right? I don't remember too many of your posts. Anyway back to the thread....

I take it you aren't a fan of The Wizard of Oz? Does the term "We're not in Kansas any more" ring a bell?

ruby-slippers-wizard-of-oz.jpg

I take it you aren't a fan of The Wizard of Oz? Does the term "We're not in Kansas any more" ring a bell?

ruby-slippers-wizard-of-oz.jpg
Allstar, my friend you are going to haveto start reading trhe entire threads before you post. I mentioned not being in Kansas a few posts back. Tailgate said he had his slippers on & there fore my post about the miniskirt. BTW the Wizard of Oz terrified me for years and was only movie like that I had to watch every year.

The way I look at it is Bob McNair, Gary Kubiak, Rick Smith & company are hungry to win, at all costs. They're mentality should be to overspend as much as possible if the end justifies the means. The big hurdle is not so much the money or cap thing its convincing players Houston is going to be a winner so you need to get in now :logo:
Yep. Smith and Gary should feel like job is on line and McNair should know he has to calm the increasingly angry fan base. Hopefully his pride will show up any day now.

uh, okay. As long as everything did not include a mini skirt? You are a guy right? I don't remember too many of your posts. Anyway back to the thread...

Since we apparently are being serious now... I would run naked thru the downtown streets of Houston in nothing but red slippers if i knew it would make me a billionaire and owner of the texans.

I wish my parents were drunks.

I could have got away with murder.

:kitten:

Since we apparently are being serious now... I would run naked thru the downtown streets of Houston in nothing but red slippers if i knew it would make me a billionaire and owner of the texans.
Yep if that could happen the streets of Houston would have their running of the "bulls". You better not look over your shoulder as I will be gaining on you! lol

Back