Texans 2-6: Who's to Blame?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans_Chick, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

AOL Sports is going to be promoing something about all the NFL teams with poor records in the first half of the season. They asked the bloggers to write about the disappointing seasons and say who is to blame for them.

Anyway, I made a stab at it. And there are some really good comments on it as well.

I focused on the big picture issues as opposed to particular players, mostly because most of the players have been up and down over the course of the season, and the jury is still out.

I also tried to make it fair and realistic.

Anyway, it is a slow time of the week, and it is worth a look if you are interested. There are some good links in it--with some surprises.

Link: Houston Texans: A Still Optimistic 2-6

We talk about a lot of this stuff here, but it is kind of nice to memorialize things in blog posts. It's a different sort of history, and it is funny reading old ones sometimes.

Oh, and many of you will recognize the fine gentlemen in the picture. :)

bah007 likes this.
  2. DeclanJr

DeclanJr Rookie

David Carr, we'd be 3-5 otherwise...

3. Texans_Chick

And the Bears would be undefeated without Rex Grossman?

You can't eliminate Carr's poor performances without including his good ones. To be fair, we don't know how much better or worse the team would be with Rosenfels as the starter.

4. DeclanJr

DeclanJr Rookie

I'd like to find out...That isn't the only game he played bad in, but I'm putting that loss squarely on his shoulders. When you are throwing 20+ times for 187 yards, something is wrong. Coach K has designed this offense so that Carr can dink and dunk it down the field, and if that is taken away from him he throws picks and gets sacked...I'm all for putting in Rosenfels, but that is just where we disagree. Let's see how good he looks this week against a motivated Jacksonville team.

5. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

3-5...2-6...When you're rebuilding, which there should be no doubt that we are, is threre really much difference.

Using your logic we could say that without Cook we'd be 3-5. With Spencer still healty we just might be 4-3. With J. Christ at Rb we;d no doubt be 8-0 and the most feared team in the NFL.

We are what we are, a bad team that is making significant progress towards being better.

6. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

Can't say I've had the pleasure. Who is it?

Anybody that impales Oilers paraphernalia is a friend of mine.

7. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Alot of things. Our poor defensive play in the beginning of the season, Carr's turnovers, Cook's turnover, etc etc etc.

Wharton likes this.
  8. phan1

phan1 All Pro

We obviously needed time to "warm up". The past 3 games we've played has got to make you believe that we can really hang with anybody. The defense was the big problem early in the season. It was just gawd-awful, but I think we fixed that. As for our offense, well... It's been typical Texan offense. Either you're hot or you're not. Everything taken into account, we really just started off the season with no fight in our belly. Now, it looks like we are actually out there trying to win games instead of going out there expecting to be slaughtered.

9. Texans_Chick

Those are the micro things.

A lack of consistency. And learning new stuff. To me, a lot of that is either learning a new system, playing a lot of rookies, learning to play together as a team, and/or just bad breaks.

In my column, I talk more about the macro things. The big picture things.

10. wrestler4life

wrestler4life Veteran

Hilarious, but true!

11. TxAg

TxAg Rookie

You guys are going to see something unexpected this year,the Texans are making huge progress on defense and our offense can turn into a great one as we have one of the best WR in the league I just thing they need to put there faith on one back GADO and we could really cause some damage.I also think that Carr being benched two weeks ago woke him up, Kubiak wants to win and Carr knows he could loose his starting role if he slacks off.:shades:

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I'm happy for David's improvements, and expect to see more to come, but which good ones are you talking about??

70% completion for 220 yards........... yawn.....

Any other QB in this league would be closer to 400 yards on 70% completion. with many more TDs to show for it.

while I don't put the blame for any one of our losses squarely on David's shoulders, I find it hard to believe we wouldn't have more wins if we had better play out of the QB position.

Same goes for the OL, same for the RBs, same for the defense.

But if any QB performed worse than ours, I doubt he'd still be playing at this point in the season.

Not saying that David should be sitting down, but that his good..... is everybody else's avg.

13. Big J

Big J Rookie

Please dont ever compare David Carr to Rex Grossman...the guy is straight garbage. David Carr is for sure better than Rex.

14. ib4texans

ib4texans Veteran

Maybe Carr would not be average if the offense did not have to be designed for the 1.5 second release that he was forced into from lack of protection. Now that the protection is there they are stretching the plays to find out what max protection might be, you don't just expect a Texan line to protect long enough for the 40,50,60 yard deep threat. They may get there but people please, would you want to stand back there waiting for your receivers to get down field?

15. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I would say the biggest macro problem we have had since our inception has been the development/deployment of available talent. We have done this very, very poorly. It apears the new staff is reversing that trend.

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

After 4 years of starting behind the worse line in the history of the NFL, I can guarantee you two things.

I would be the most nimble QB in the league... & the most adept at avoiding sacks.

& I would have hands of steel.... I would never lose a fumble...... it might be stripped as I'm throwing the ball, but you could run me over with a mack truck, and I would be holding the ball in my cold dead hands.

I agree David has had issues to deal with, that he had no control over. But there are things he could control, and he should be better at controlling those things better than any QB in the league right now.

17. Wharton

Wharton Site Contributor

Good article. I thought it was spot on.

18. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

In the texans case, I don't think there is anyone to blame (well not currently employed by the organization). Unfortunately, based on overall talent, 2-6 is probably right on schedule. Think this is 5-11, maybe 6-10 football team.

19. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Why do some people keep bringing up Gado? I don't get it.

20. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

Good macro view of the issues, Steph.

The biggest deficiency(ies) on this team at the end of last year was the lack of talent in the trenches. I think we made some strides in that direction, but still have work to do.