Texans 1st round trade Rumor

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by HOU-TEX, Mar 18, 2008.

1. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Does anyone know where this Thomas Hilton cat gets his info? Here's something he posted on his blog. Actually TC's old blog. I don't know how much weight this has, but I thought I'd post it anyways.:cool:

http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2008/03/you_gotta_know_when_to_hold_em_1.html

2. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

I have no clue about Thomas Hilton at all, but I would be pretty happy with this scenario. The only thing better would be getting a second rounder but for 5 spots a 3rd round pick is very fair IMO. :texflag:

3. bckey

bckey Hall of Fame

I think it would make more sense if they were moving up for Brandon Albert. Probably using Malcolm Kelly as a smokescreen. I'd rather the Texans sit tight and take Brandon Albert themselves.

4. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Oh there's no doubt I'd jump all over this scenerio. I'm just questioning this dude's sources. Which IMO, are bogus. :thinking:

5. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Yeah, I agree. But if turns out to be accurate we need the practice in drafting this late, as this is to be where we draft for the next decade. :splits: :texflag:

6. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Well, he says he's heard from NFL scouts. Intentionally vague, with no chance of verification. I'd say he's in line for a job at the Chronic.

7. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I havn't heard this rumor but I really think draft pick and draft player trades aren't going to be this detailed this early in the game. I can definitely see Rick Smith talking with other GM's around the league, letting them know we are very interested in trading with someone because we would like more draft picks, but that it's going to have to be a fair trade or else it wont get done.

I think WR is a position a team might definitely trade with us to select though. The teams immediately behind us may all really be targeting a WR. And most teams will be targeting a certain WR to fit their scheme and what they're trying to do- so they most likely won't be like "oh darn Kelly is gone we'll just take the next best guy. It's of my opinion they think- this certain player is worth giving up a third rd pick to move up to get- he's EXACTLY what we want."

Of course, hopefully, no team is going to make this kind of trade before the draft even occurs. From our standpoint, we NEED to see who's available and if a certain player like a LT in Clady or Williams is available, we might say 'we value this guy way more than a trade down'. Likewise, a player the Steelers are targeting (Kelly) could be taken much earlier and so trading up would be useless. Again, I could see the Texans/Steelers talking but I doubt they are going to say yea we're looking to get Kelly wanna trade maybe on draft day?

Back to the trade though, Assuming some of the top guys that would really help us are gone by the 18th, I would love this trade. And would take it.

8. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

from the link on original post

could be interesting

9. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I don't know what Hilton knows or doesn't know. He was floating the rumor that Michael Turner was signing with the Texans. That didn't pan out.

If Kelly ever works out for scouts, he could be a hot commodity. And the teams that are between Houston and Pittsburgh in the draft order (Philly, Tampa Bay, Washington, and Dallas) could be looking at a big WR like Kelly. So, I'm not saying this deal wouldn't make sense. Just that you have to consider the source as to how real it is.

10. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I'm glad i read your post before just immediately posting as I agree with you. Unless it is an over whelmingly favorable offer, I do not see Texans making a trade prior to draft day. We have to see if a Mendenhall or WIlliams falls.

11. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

COme on dice, throw me a snake eyes (2nd round) for Sage.

12. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

I like the idea of getting an extra third. I also like the idea of not dropping too far down. Then again, I am not sure of its source, but I think its an interesting idea.

13. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

The Texans had Nall last season and cut him. If the Texans sign Nall, he's training camp fodder. Not Sage's replacement.

14. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

I would be cool with this, if the people like Mendenhall and Chris Williams are gone.

15. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

If Nall was so well liked and so good why does he keep getting cut by the Packers and Houston and other teams through out the year every year, repeatedly.

16. Overalls

Overalls Hall of Fame

Without getting into the validity of the source or the merits of trading Sage or not, it sure would be interesting to see what Rick Smith could do with three 3rd round draft picks.

The move down to Pittsburghs spot would still leave us simular quality of players as we would have at 18. More than likely if the Texans have 5 players they are looking at for the 18th spot, one or more will still be there at 23

17. Hook'er

Hook'er Veteran

I would be all over that, then grab Cason at #23.

18. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I think the Titans will be looking for a WR, don't know where they pick but Pitt may be wanting to prevent a team like that from getting the guy they want. I say do it. We don't have a 2nd and if we can get another pick it would be good.

19. steds

steds Veteran

Titans have 24, one below Pittsburgh

20. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

I don't think he has a single solitary source that's reliable. He himself admits that his 'sources' are just college buddies who have jobs around the league. That doesn't really mean anything.

Let's not forget that right when FA started, he said through his sources that the Texans were on the verge of signing a name FA running back... then promptly named every single name FA available, as if that were privledged or difficult-to-find information. Then it turned into Michael Turner, which was based again on college buddies. I like Thomas and his blogs, but he doesn't have any more information than any of the rest of us do.

Look at this latest post -
    Okay... a number of websites? If so, where are the links? It may very-well be true, but if there are a "number" of sites reporting it, don't you think one of us hardcore Texan off-season junkies would have found it by now? I know like a lot of you guys, I constantly scour the internet for updates and info on our off-season moves. I haven't seen a peep about it.

... that's just a football-ignorant statement. TH knows better than that. I'm surprised he said that.

NitroGSXR likes this.