Texan TE corp

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Pharaohcious, Mar 9, 2018.

?

Who is the better TE for Deshaun Watson??

1. Stephen Anderson

63.6%
  2. Ryan Griffin

36.4%
  1. Pharaohcious

Pharaohcious Rookie

With Ryan Griffin being the most productive TE whose has most chemistry with Deshaun Watson... Why are people still trying to refer to Stephen Anderson as the better choice for Deshaun?

Also, what TE would you move up to the 2nd round for in this years draft? What would you give up?

2. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Neither has been able to consistently stay on the field, and neither can be considered a half-way decent blocking TE.

3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

Neither. Would not care if they ditched one or both and brought in two new guys.

4. CloakNNNdagger

Don't disagree. But could keep one or both if we could get a TE that could both catch and block.

macho grande likes this.
  5. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I'll take a game breaking, pass catching TE over a blocking TE all day long in today's NFL. The speed and athleticism to make catches so far outweighs the ability to block that it's nearly negligible these days. Very, very few Gronks in the world. Many more Jimmy Grahams.

infantrycak likes this.
  6. CloakNNNdagger

It would be nice for once to have a TE in there and have the D try to guess what his function will be on plays, instead of knowing they are in there only to receive.

OptimisticTexan, DocBar and JB like this.
  7. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

**** I'd love to just have another prime Owen Daniels.

8. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Sounds like you like Dallas Goedert which I wouldn't have a problem with them picking Goedert with #68 and signing Fells. I think Goedert is a stud and wont be there at 68.

Sign a couple of FA OL then draft Goedert and sign Fells and the offense would look alot better. Pick Richardson/Harrison/Cappa later in the 3rd and I will guarantee you the offense will look better. The questin I have is if a RB you like is there (I like Bellage) do you pick him with the last 3rd rd pick, or do you draft a CB/S ? I think I pick Bellage and take the best DB available at the top of the 4th.

Texansballer74 likes this.
  9. thetexanator

thetexanator Hall of Fame

they both suck arz. would rather have griffin as the 3rd te. anderson cant block worth a lick

steelbtexan likes this.
  10. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

Neither Griffin or Anderson are good blocking TE's. Anderson is smaller (6'2", 230 lbs) but is a quicker/faster TE that is more like a big WR than a TE. Griffin had a good season 2 years ago and is a good receiving TE when healthy. And, that was an issue this past season, along with Fiedorowicz, not being able to stay on the field due to concussions. So, I don't know how much the Texans will be able to rely on Griffin going forward, though I would like them to keep him and Anderson for at least this season.

I do think they will have to look in FA for at least 1 TE and they will probably draft at least 1 also. A possible name in FA that has been thrown around is Trey Burton from the Eagles. He's listed at 6'3", 235 lbs which is about the same as Anderson and, like Anderson, I think he is more a receiving threat than a blocking TE. Ed Dickson (6'4" , 255 lbs) from the Panthers might be another solid FA to look at. Of course there's always Jimmy Graham or Tyler Eifert out there if you want to go after one of the big names and pay more.

On the drafting side I'm not sure there is anyone I would move up in to the 2nd round for although there are some pretty good TE's that will probably go in the 2nd like Goedert, Hayden, and Gesicki. This class of TE's is good overall but they all seem to have some flaws. There is no Gronk or O.J. Howard in this class. None of them can both block and catch very well according to the write ups. It's more likely they will do one thing really well and the other very poorly with their draft grades falling along the lines of how well they can catch down to how well they can block. In other words, their receiving skills are valued over their blocking skills. Goedert, Hayden, and Gesicki are all good receiving TE's but will need a lot of work on their blocking. If one of them fell to the 3rd round however, I would hope the Texans would run to the podium! All would be excellent targets for Watson! My guess is though they will be looking more for a blocking TE which will probably be in the 5th (if they move up) or 6th round. Durham Smythe is a name to keep an eye on for the Texans to draft possibly in the 4th or 5th round that is a good blocking TE from Notre Dame and was underutilized as a pass catcher.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    vupac1 likes this.

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I think Gaine goes with Anderson and either Griffin or Fiedo.Then Signs a cheap vet blocking TE like Fells and drafts a developmental TE like Jordan Thomas in the 6th. Gaine hopefully stays away from old guys like Graham and injured guy like Eifert.

Insideop likes this.
  12. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I prefer Penny... Ballage is big but

infantrycak and steelbtexan like this.
  13. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Me too.

JB likes this.
  14. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Penny probably will be gone before the Texans pick at the end of the 3rd. Penny has great instincts running the ball and can catch the ball out of the backfield. His pass blocking is terrible though. Although that can be improved with work ethic and good coaching.

Bellage doesn't have these issues. But staying healthy (Nagging little injuries) was an issue with Bellage. Bellage reminds me of Foster coming out of college. Nicked up/under used/didn't play up to his talent level. The talent to be one of the top ball carriers in this class is there though. Bellage is as physically gifted as any RB in this class excluding Barkley.

JB likes this.
  15. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Bellage is physically gifted but I don't think his instincts or flow are near Penny's much less Foster's. If I'm betting on a RB getting better in the NFL at something, pass-pro comes miles ahead of instincts.

steelbtexan and DocBar like this.
  16. gs27

gs27 All Pro

If team is not happy with health outlook of our TEs, I would throw money at Cameron Brate and see if the Buccs are willing to match it. IMO he is one of the top 2 or 3 young TEs in the league and the Buccs just spent an early round pick in Howard.

vupac1 likes this.
  17. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

You're probably right on this and it sounds like it might be a better way to go, and the coaching staff probably did get a good look at Thomas at the East West Shrine Game. I hope Gaine stays away from Graham and Eifert too. I don't think they want to be tying up a lot of their FA $$$ on TE's. They need that dough to go after the OT's, OG's, and DB's!

macho grande, Seegara and steelbtexan like this.
  18. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

steelbtexan likes this.
  19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I agree with you, I was just saying Foster and Bellage had very similar college careers.

What I would like Gaine to do with the RB corps is draft a guy like Martez Carter or Ito Smith in the 6th. This helps your ST's. Then draft a guy like Ryan Nall to be your big RB in the 6-7th, he can also help your ST's.

I would also re-sign Blue since he can also help with ST's. Are you noticing a trend to this post.

20. austins23

austins23 Hall of Fame

With a HC that could get him WIDE open, like it always seemed OD was.