Texan Restricted Free Agent Tenders

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Shaft75, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Shaft75

Shaft75 Site Contributor

Have any been placed yet? I see that Denver has been busy and placed tenders on Dumerville and Marshall. Any word?

2. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

They will start coming soon.

They are flying all over the place on PFT.com, I'm sure we'll see some movement from the Texans before later this evening.

3. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

Hopefully they are trying to work out some last minute long-term deals with a few of them before they use the tender.

4. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

It's too quiet right now on the Texans home front........

5. redwhiteANDblue

redwhiteANDblue Color of Texans

come on guys DO SOMETHING!

6. JWarren14

JWarren14 Beer Me

:hurryup:

I have been refreshing pages and googling "Texans sign..." for hours now, WTF is going on? All this waiting in driving me crazy...Come on Free Agency Friday!

7. False Start

False Start On # 69

If they tender Demeco, I'm gonna start to get impatient with this team. Pay him Rick!

8. Jottoz

Jottoz Hall of Fame

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rotoworld
    The Texans have opted against tendering S John Busing, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Busing made numerous spot starts last year, but was never going to excel in coverage at over 220 pounds with 4.6 wheels on hot coals. Houston may bring him back as a gunner, but Busing, ideally, will not see time on defense.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by McClain_on_NFL
    Texans made seven qualifying offers today. As expected, Ryans and Daniels tendered the max at 1st- and 3rd-round picks and Pollard a first.

Texans fans don't have to worry about Ryans, Daniels and Pollard going anywhere because teams won't give up that compensation.

Now the Texans can work on long-term deals with Ryans, Daniels and Pollard as well as WR Kevin Walter, who'll be unrestricted.

9. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Yes, please do.

10. False Start

False Start On # 69

Thats my biggest concern too. If we don't lock him up soon, I think he may start to get pi$$ed. I cant blame him either.

As far as OD, I'm still waiting to see what he can do coming off the injury. If he does however come back to the OD we all know and love, lock him up.

11. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6895788.html

12. False Start

False Start On # 69

The Ravens are interested in Walter, I would hate to lose him.

13. ChrisG

ChrisG Road Fan

they better pay Meco. He has earned it. IK they are gonna pull some BS with Daniels b/c of his injury. Which I agree with, to an extent. They better not try and f him over and he gets a better offer. Our passing game went way down without OD.

Also I hope we sign Moats I really liked him and Foster last yr

14. HouSportsWriter

HouSportsWriter SIAB

15. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

......and the waiting game begins.....

16. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

First off, I know it's still waaay early, but I guess I just feel the need to vent a little.

The first thing that came to mind last night when I saw D-Ryans received the max tender. Why can't this organization come to terms with it's star players?! I know I'm painting with a broad brush when I say that because the Texans really haven't had these issues very often.

Maybe it's the mad love I've got for D-Ryans? Possibly, I mean the dude's only the primary leader and captain of the defense...and team for that matter. He's an absolute beast on the field. He's earned a lucrative contract. I'm being somewhat sarcastic when I say this, but the guy should be writing his own pay checks if you ask me.

In the end, IMO if there's nothing done by the time their first team workout it's going to send a very bad message....if it hasn't aleady. I'm beginning to get pissed at the organization for not taking care of it's players.

/Rant/

eriadoc likes this.
  17. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

The Texans aren't in an exclusive club when it comes to star players and contract negotiations. Brandon Marshall and Anquan Boldin have been chirping about pay and deals forever. There's always someone on every team that isn't happy about a deal and there are always players who end up franchise tagged because a deal couldn't be worked out. Every team has players that get tendered as Restricted Free Agents because a new deal isn't in place. It's a way to see what the market is saying about a player's value. It's part of the system and it probably won't change for a long, long time.

18. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

The Texans can still sign him to a longterm contract, but it doesn't mean they will. Hopefully he will be getting a fat 5 year deal, or some other team will offer him one that they match.

19. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Take note of the first sentence in my post. I realize it's way too early to get worried, but I needed to vent

20. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

That's how they got David Andersen signed to a long term deal last year - matching the Bronco's offer to him (which would have only gotten a fifth or sixth round pick if they'd let him walk).

Team's have never been real high on giving up first and third round picks for anybody, and I think that attitude becomes even more pervasive this year. It's gonna be real hard to find a team willing to pay the bonus Demeco would be commanding if they could keep their first and third round picks, and pay rookie bonuses (remember, once you get past the top 10 picks or so, the bonuses aren't all that absurd). Interestingly, there is an argument made that the higher your first round pick is, the more you should be willing to give it up in order to sign a RFA.

I'd love to see it play out differently, but both Demeco and O.D. are in very similar positions to Dunta last year. The one-year deals they'd be getting are obviously far less than Dunta's franchise amount, but I don't see anybody ponying up what it would take to force the Texans to make a decision.

The main difference between now and a year ago is that Demeco and O.D. may not be able to go the one year route and test free agency next year, due to either a work stoppage, or a new CBA that keeps them restricted. The end result of this is that the Texans have some pretty good leverage on both guys, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see them attempt to use it as much as they can.