Telvin Smith, LB, Florida State

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by kiwitexansfan, Feb 12, 2014.

1. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

I've been doing some 'research' and am intrigued by this guy.

He is a bit on the light side, but does anyone think that he might be viable in a 3-4?

Don't think he is heavy enough to set the edge, but do you think he can add weight enough to perhaps transition inside?

Love the potential he has to impact the passing game.

[​IMG]

2. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Tampa had an incredibly light set of LBs. Shelton Quarles and Ian Gold both went 225 lbs, Hardy Nickerson at 230 lbs and Derrick Brooks was 235 lbs but that was an unconventional 4-3. Thomas Davis goes 230 lbs again in a 4-3. Bart Scott played inside in a 3-4 at 235 lbs and also Lawrence Timmons. Probably best and closest is Navarro Bowman at 230 lbs. Most of those guys are a couple inches shorter. Its not impossible but he'd be a project.

3. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

He has intrigued me as well. I'm not worried about his slim build, once in the NFL he'll add some bulk but hopefully not to much because I want him to stay fast. He's got lose hips, height and long arms, and coverage skills along with blitzing speed and potential. I'd love to see what he could do at ILB next to Cushing. He's got the raw athletic potential that just needs to be coached. He's definitely the type of ILB that I'd look for, but I think he could play any of our 3-4 LB positions. He or Christian Jones or both would be a nice addition(s) to this team, we definitely could use the athleticism and speed. If we could fill a position or 2 in FA with starters then I'd definitely take Smith in the 3rd.

4. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

I don't think he has the frame to add a ton of weight. He looks pretty maxed out. Don't think he's a fit in a 3-4. Looks like a great 4-3 WLB prospect though. Great instincts and top notch athleticism.

5. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Pretty much my thoughts. He has excellent instincts and if I could be assured that he would add and keep the weight/strength, I would be all over him. He's listed at 218, but who knows what he actually weighs. If we did decide to take on the project, I can assure that he would be an excellent special teams player in the meantime.

6. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

^^^^
    This

If I'm the Lions (I'm picking for them in the TT Mock Drat) and Smith is there in the 3rd he's my pick. The main thing the Lions defense is missing is a LB that can cover the TE down the seam. Smith can do this with ease.

I don't think it would be a reach to think Smith can add 7-10 Lbs witout losing speed. One thing is for sure, Smith is a playmaker and the Lions surely could use a few of those.

7. TexansFTW

TexansFTW All Pro

I don't believe he makes it to round 3. He's too good and will show out at the combine.

8. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I think he could play WLB or SS depending on the scheme. He's got some Kam Chancellor in him. I don't like him at LB in a 34.

9. kiwitexansfan

I feel like all our LBs get abused in coverage, with passing becoming more and more prolific, we need to upgrade that aspect of the D.

Will be eager to see his combine performance.

10. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

That's why I prefer a base nickel defense at the pro level. Put more speed on the field. But you need four linemen who can rush the passer and stop the run. You also need one LB who can cover the field when necessary and one S who can come up and play the run when necessary.

11. kiwitexansfan

I feel Swearinger can be that safety, Smith can be a great compliment to Cushing. If you play some 3-3-5 fronts add in Mercilus and that is a great blend.

12. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I agree on Swearinger. He has the potential.

Smith would be great in a system that utilizes some 3-3-5. He could float back and forth between LB and S depending on the situation, thus maximizing his skillset.

13. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

The line between those 2 positions is blurring in the new pass happy NFL. I've been saying it for a couple years now, you need at least 1 or better yet 2 ILB's in a 3-4 that can handle pass coverage. Teams are throwing 60-70% of the time so the old school ILB's built like a tank to handle O-linemen and stop the run are major pass coverage liabilities. As for Telvin Smith I'd love to have someone like him on the Texans and would take him in the 3rd if available, depending on how many spots we can fix in FA and scratch off our list of needs. He can handle the pass coverage aspect of the game and his quickness up the middle on a delayed blitz would be nice. He's got the height that adding another 15 lbs. shouldn't hurt his speed, and any weight added would be the right kind of weight in an NFL strength and conditioning program. If he's added 5-10 lbs. since that 218 weigh-in and is still fast at the Combine then he won't be available in the 3rd.

14. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Like him as a player, don't think he's a fit for our scheme as I understand it. Adamant about playing LB, and I think he should.

15. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

One thing about him is that he has consistently faced and overcome adversity. There was always a talented player or two pushing him at Florida State, but he always outperformed them on the field. He plays with such high intensity and with such great instincts, it was hard for the staff to take him off the field.

If you take him, I think you'll get a player that works hard and competes every single day. You'd be getting a hungry and intense player.

16. aussie_texan

aussie_texan Hall of Fame

from what i have read Roc likes converting typical OLB to play at ILB in his system mostly due to there ability to shed blocks. don't think smith fits that billing due to his size. but what people have said about pass coverage LBs he certainly fits that.

17. kiwitexansfan

218lbs.

That is soooo small for a LB.

Still love to have him though.

What round are you thinking he'll be gone by?

Too small for the 2nd now?

18. kiwitexansfan

Reading up on Dion Bailey, seems like a similiar sort of prospect.

More safety than LB but still a tweener style of play.

Might be a later round/cheaper option that Smith.

19. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Not a fan of Bailey.

Smith appears to have Safety athleticism but plays LB.

Bailey appears to have LB athleticism but plays S.

20. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

If he runs well, which I expect he will, I think he'll go in the mid 2nd round. I hope that maybe we can trade down at 2.1 and get extra picks so that we can get a good OT and Smith.