Tebow ought to be out of the running for the heismann, here's why:

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by powerfuldragon, Dec 10, 2008.

1. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

2. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Well, unfortunately for you, he is a finalist...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3760910

3. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

The guy in the jersey reminds me of Jim McMahon.

4. dc_txtech

dc_txtech Subscribed Contributor

The Heisman trophy is a freakin joke. What a coincidence that the most outstanding player in college football has been a RB or a QB 69 out of the last 73 years. And funny how that guy happens to play for a perennial powerhouse 95% of the time.

Just one more reason that college football sucks compared to the NFL.

5. headsplint

headsplint All Pro

Not trying to be a big 12 homer, but I am a bit surprised Tebow is in there and not Graham Harrell. Sure Tebow is a good college QB, but for him to be there and not GH doesn't sound right IMO. Really though, i'm not sure it matters I think Bradford gets it and deservedly so. And i'm a UT fan. I would like to see it go to Colt, but you can't deny what Bradford has done. And if Tebow wins, that will be completely effed up.

6. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

while I DO understand that the Heisman is the best COLLEGE player

And while I do know there are players all the time that their College game doesn't match well with the NFL game

I find it interesting how many players winning it become players that basically don't make a scratch in the NFL game

http://www.heisman.com/winners/hsmn-winners.html

Just looking at the surface, one would deduct that if a player was that good in college, he would do at least semi-decent in the PRO game

7. headsplint

headsplint All Pro

Yeah I know, it's almost as if it's a curse, only there are some who do well. But just thinking back who is the last Heisman winner that was a Quarterback who did well in the NFL? I should have clicked your link first.

**edit, okay i'm an ***** I forgot about Palmer. But looking at the list it's glaring how many really did not translate well to the nfl.

8. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

Carson Palmer I guess you could say and before that Troy Aikman

9. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Tebow will be less than nothing in the NFL

Let him have his glory

10. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Everyone knows the Heisman voting is ridiculous.

Tebow jumped Harrell in the voting because of the way Florida played down the stretch compared to how Tech played.

Tech players won't shake that "system offense" moniker unless they make it to the big time. This year was probably their best chance.

11. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

The fact that Tech gets labelled as a system offense, while UT and Florida doesn't is a joke. The zone option running game out of the spread is every bit the "system" as Tech's short passing/long hand-off attack. In fact Tebow's numbers last year where the most system generated numbers in the history of college football and he still got the Heisman.

All of these guys had bad games, Harrell just had his last so he gets the shafting. If Harrell played at any of the big name programs not only would he have gotten the invite, he'd probably walk away with the award.

12. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Tebow is still pretty outstanding.

A lot of time the winner of the heisman wins it purely based on his physical ability. In college you can still get by on your physical talents. Even for non heisman winners. The college takes just as much smarts as it does physicallness (word?).

It's just like the jump from high school to college. You can have outstanding HS players that just don't do as well in college. Like the 5 star recruits that don't pan out. Sometimes players just peak at different times.

13. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

The way I look at it is how each team would do without said player. IMO, Tech and Oklahoma would still be very good football teams due to the "system"(Tech) and the players that surround them (Oklahoma). Texas and Florida would not be as productive as they are with their players.

IMO, it should go to Colt. Out of the candidates he's the one that meant more to his team than the others.

I doubt he'll get it, but I just thought I'd throw my .02 out there. :)

14. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I think Harrell lost it in the Baylor game to be honest.

He was not nearly as effective when Crabtree went down (as expected). Crabtree is more valuable to Tech's offense, and he is the most talented player on the team.

If any of Tech's players got snubbed, it is Crabtree.

dc_txtech likes this.
  15. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

The reason Tech gets the "system offense" moniker is because they throw on nearly every down.

Their stats are devalued because they are inflated by the offense they run.

Texas and Florida each run a spread offense, but they have much more balance between run and pass.

16. Errant Hothy

Tech was more balanced this year then any any previous year under Leach.

Eric Crouch won the Heismen, and at the time Nebraska ran the ball nearly everydown. Were his stats devalued? Andre Ware and Ty Detmer won the ball throwing it more then Harrell did. Were their stats devalued? Colt's and Tebow's running numbers are generated by the zone option read, a system, should their stats be devalued?

I never thought Harrell was going to win the award, but he was certainly worthy of an invite.

17. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I'm not gonna say it's fair, because it's not. It just is what it is.

I heard on Mike and Mike this morning that one possibility is that he is gonna be such a distant fourth in the voting they didn't want him to show up thinking he has a shot and then be embarrassed when he comes away with hardly any votes.

They only invite the people who have a realistic chance of winning. Whether Harrell gets invited or not, he is still going to finish in fourth place, meaning he has no shot at winning.

18. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

You made good points throughout this post but this was not one of them.

The zone read is just one play in the spread offense. The spread is the "system" of offense.

I don't know many times Tebow keeps the ball on the zone read, but Colt only does it two or three times per game. Most of his runs are on draws and scrambles, plays that every other team runs.

19. Errant Hothy

I think it's safe to say that there is developing a divergence in what is known as the spread offense, the teams that use the zone option read as part of their spread, ala UT, Florida, etc and those teams that run the traditional spread, ala Tech, Missouri, etc.

I'd classify both as "systems", or at the very least distant cousins under the same system.

But they, and the numbers it can generate for the QBs, are still systems.

20. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

That's more indicative of a most valuable player (MVP) award than the heisman (most oustanding college player). I think for the heisman, you have to look at it in all sorts of ways. Just stats wont tell the picture, you gotta look at so many different qualities of the person, team, opponents, stats, etc. But I think how your looking at it is definitely a very important part.