Teammates come to Schaub's defense

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marcus, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Link

Gotta admit, legitimate points made.

2. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

The view is different inside the whirlwind.

I'm glad they are sticking up for thier teammate publically. I'd like to know what they are saying privately.

3. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

time for a group hug

Double Barrel likes this.
  4. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Look, I myself would like to see a change at QB. I don't like his lack of mobility. I don't like his lack of arm strength. I don't like his runaway bootlegs.

But having said that, what happened to the freaking running game? It wasn't anywhere close to what it was last year.

To say that didn't have any effect on Schaub's play is ludicrous.

5. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

I'd contend that the defense regressed just as much, if not more than the running game did from last year.

6. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Wilson didn't have much help from Lynch but managed to come back from 20 yesterday

7. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

I'm with big D.

8. 2012Champs

2012Champs Hall of Fame

They all respect Yates and his leadership more, err wait.

9. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Our team this year was not as good as it was last year. Last year was our year except for the damned injuries.

The thing about this offense is that the offensive line has to be working as a unit and it never really got together this year. The loss of Winston, Brisiel, and Dreessen was huge. We were not opening up the holes we were getting last year and that was stopping our run game and causing protection problems in the passing game.

We have to hope that Brooks, Jones, and Newton are able to get it together after another year in the system. I mean, it took a couple of years and a some tinkering to get the old line to work.

dream_team and thunderkyss like this.
  10. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Texans Insanity 2013: doing the exact same thing over again and expecting different results. :texflag:

KA4Texan likes this.
  11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Uh..... have you ever been to Texanstalk.com?

We've got guys knowledgeable enough to look beyond the stats & the wins. Matt Schaub issues have been raised since week 1, through the 11-1 part of the season & the 1-3 part as well.

With that said, I think right now there has been a landslide, kick him while he's down thing going on lately where Schaub has become the scapegoat. He's not RG3 & we want an RG3.

I understand it a little bit, while I didn't necessarily want an RG3 (I mean I do... but not really), I've been complaining for at least two years that the play is over when he leaves the pocket. Chances of a completion is low, chances of a first down is even lower. Chance of a score is nil.

I honestly don't know how Schaub can be extremely successful in this league if he can't adlib, he doesn't have a big arm, & he can't call audibles (we can argue this all day long, but if he can call audibles, he's doing a crappy job of it).

But at the same time, I'm patient. I've seen him make plays offschedule but don't understand why it's been so long & between that we've seen that guy. There's something going on behind the scenes that we just don't know, or just don't understand.

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

We've had different results. We've gone from 6-10 to 12-4. We used to get swept by the Jags, now we're sweeping the Jags. We used to get owned on the road, now we own on the road. We used to get owned at home, now we own at home.

We used to dream about the play-offs, now we don't talk draft until the third week of January.

santo likes this.
  13. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Yes, these are all good points. Hopefully we can keep it this way though. We're going to need some help at WR and another QB in the near future. Rick Smith needs to find a way to find a really good available FA WR in my opinion. These rookies take a long time to develop in many cases. I'm all for drafting one, but there is a high bust rate with WR's. I do like the direction that the organization is headed in though other then the fact that we'll have Kubiak for a long time further.

14. fiasco west

fiasco west Hall of Fame

Oline man.

To think we had stopped the Pats 3-4 times I think after getting 3 points. We COULD have had a grind it out ball control game but we couldn't run to do it.

Our line has problems that needs to be addressed.

The opportunities were there last game but we didn't take advantage of any of them, even had a fortunate bounce on a onside kick too and couldn't get it.

15. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein

16. fiasco west

fiasco west Hall of Fame

I agree with this.

Hurry-up offense is the thing nowadays and the Texans need to get with the times. It's obviously a bit unfair to the defense (I wish it was out of the game personally) but we seem to do so well when we speed it up and then we just don't do it.

Texans ground control plan is a good one when you get a good solid lead early...but if you don't get that the team has to adjust and play more uptempo.

It's time to get with it and work on speeding up this offense more.

17. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

Probably Barwin, cause believing in Schaub is too mainstream.

Hervoyel and midway like this.
  18. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

The outside world has been watching Matt Schaub play football for a lot longer than JJ Watt has. Sometimes guys can be too close to the situation to be objective about it. I think it's to their credit that they rally around their QB.

It doesn't make him a better QB though. I'm sorry to say that because we could really use a better QB.

While we're at it we could use some better line play too. They don't fix that it won't matter who we have back there taking the snaps.

19. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

Hell there needs to be an APB out for Ben Tate

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  20. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I guess I am one of the new bandwagon Schaub "haters," but I feel that I know what I have seen, and that guy's not winning any Superbowls without a perfect team around him (& then it would just be one). I don't think I "hate" on Schaub. I don't blame his effort or his "leadership." I blame his lack of mobility, which through no fault of his own is now down to just about 0, and his apparent lack of armstrength, or whatever it is that obviously makes both him and Kubiak have no faith in his throws of 30+ yards (I don't either). I think Matt is a great guy and a hard, hard worker, but physical limitations are physical limitations...

And, no, I don't think it will be easy to find somebody better, but I do think we better eventually find somebody better or we can forget about those Lombardi trophies. Good is good, but it ain't best in the world.