Team needs WR? What about Owen Daniels?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by eriadoc, Apr 25, 2007.

1. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

OK, so we don't have a guy at the #2 spot that most would feel comfortable going into the season with. KW, Davis, and Mathis all = a big ?, to be sure. Consider this, though:

KC for more than a few years had Tony Gonzales as their #1 receiver, with Kennison putting up 2nd-best numbers (well, or Priest), who is nowhere near as talented as AJ.

Antonio Gates has been the Chargers' leading receiver for a couple years now. They have McCardell, who is good, but a little long in the tooth and certainly not as talented as AJ.

Until Mason arrived, Todd Heap was the Ravens' go-to guy, with an assortment of journeymen receivers.

The Patriots have gotten major production from their TE position, with Branch and a host of other WRs, albeit the TE position was by committee.

The Falcons have Crumpler and no one.

Anyway, you get the idea. Those teams all have TEs that they rely on to be their #1 receiver. We don't really have that need, since we have AJ, but how about letting OD be the one that takes the pressure off AJ? How about letting him run patterns up the seams, in the middle, and in the flats? I think an AJ-OD combo would be effective and allow KW and Mathis time to adjust and see what they can bring to the team. Thoughts?

2. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

It is clearly Kubiak's ideal plan to utilize the TE position. He was doing so last year and OD was leading the league in TE TD's until they shut the offense down for Carr.

3. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

OD, "my boy!" I was ticked when he stopped getting looks/plays.

4. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Yeah, except that Kubiak has never really had a dominant TE in one of his offenses. In Denver, it was TEBC. Putzier never had more than 36 or 37 catches, and other TEs picked up some receptions along the way. I am just wondering if Kubiak would utilize OD in a manner that resulted in 55-70 catches, a la Gonzales, Gates, Heap, Crumpler, or even Cooley. I think if you had paired one of those elite TEs with a WR of AJ's caliber at any point, the results would have been awesome. I am not certain OD can be that guy, of course, but so much of that comes down to opportunity and scheme. I am optimistic he could be, but I don't know that he'll get the chance.

5. infantrycak

I think you are forgetting Shannon Sharpe (never had less than 60 receptions under Kubiak except an injury year plus one season over 1000 yds and one over 1100 yds) who was under Kubiak from 1995 to 2003.

6. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Shannon Sharpe?

7. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I agree with your premise, especially when you add Ahman Green and a QB who may feel comfortable in a collapsing pocket into the mix.

WR2 is a need on paper, but may not be one from an execution level if the current parts gel together.

8. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I like Owen very much, just want him to keep improving his blocking skill. :doot:

9. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Woohoo! I did forget him LOL. Now I have hope again. Thanks :)

10. CrunkTex

CrunkTex Balllllllin

I don't know why people are under the impression that Schaub and Green are going to change anything. Different names and faces but Schaub is still unproven and Green is over the hill. Adding a legitimate #2 to take pressure off of AJ, our only offensive weapon, would definitely be a start. Daniels is great but I don't think he's exactly going to alter opponent's game plans. Of all the teams you mentioned who prominently use TE's, they either have great RB's, a great O-line, or both. We...have neither.

11. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

With Andre and Owens we don't need an "elite" wr2. We can 'patriot' the wr2 and go wrbc there depending on how defenses are playing you. Put in Andre Davis if they crowd the box, but in Walters when teams are laying back in a cover2 shell as he is a bigger more physical wr....I also think I like David Anderson in the slot and think he will make some plays this year. He has some nice yac ability. We need to get him the Don Bebee great gazoo helmet though.

12. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

I think Daniels went unused after those first few games primarily because Carr just wasn't good at throwing to the middle of the field. I think we'll see Daniels become a big contributor this year ... assuming Schaub lives up to his billing.

13. infantrycak

How about because even marginal QB play will be a drastic improvement? Tell you what, in 5 years of Carr play, find me one play as good as the one Schaub made evading the grasp of pressure from the LDE, rolling to his right and then actually stopping and making a 60 TD pass to Price. 2 games vs. 76 games ought to be easy to find one.

14. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

DA our surprise weapon this year ? There's a scoop. Actually, DA to me is a smaller, slower version of Keven Walters.
    But you've made a few calls that turned out to be insighful V. And at the same time, I reseve to right to remind you about this one if he gets cut before the regular season starts.

15. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Anderson seems much quicker than Walters does to me. He also avoids tacklers better. I don't know who has more straight line speed though.

16. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

I would also have said DA is much quicker and probably faster straight line as well.

17. CrunkTex

CrunkTex Balllllllin

I don't know if it's a Colts hangover or elation that Carr's gone or just unabashed homerism, but I don't think most of you realize that this is one of the 5 worst teams in the NFL right now. In fact, it may very well take a miracle for us to improve on 6-10. The light at the end of the tunnel for this team isn't the playoffs. The light is Darren McFadden.

18. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Dang V, he's about a half foot shorter than Walters. Guys with short stubby legs almost always look quicker than the long striders.
    But I hope you're right about DA. It's well known we need all the help we can get at receiver.

19. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Owen will be their "Novachek." They remind me of one another. Slighter build but a guy who seems to be able to get open and a deceptively quick. They really need a quality guy in the draft to go with Walters. I think leaving Owen at TE and going this route will make the team much more successful in the red zone.

20. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

This whole discussion about a legit #2 WR really revolves around Schuab.

If Schuab is as good as Kubiak/Smith think, then probably going on the expensive side for a #2 WR really isn't required.

Also, just because Carr couldn't get it done for the Texans last year, doesn't mean Schuab is doomed to failure.

It's really going to be interesting to see what happens this year!