Team Gruden

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by wagonhed, Nov 15, 2010.

1. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

yeah, I went there, I made a thread.

discuss why Jon Gruden is the best choice for the Texans in 2011!

:doot:

2. HardKnockTexan

HardKnockTexan All Pro

I think anybody would be better than Kubiak right now but my first choice wouldn't be Gruden. Our offense is pretty solid. We need someone who knows what to do on the defensive side of the ball. Cowher or Brian Billick are my top choices.

3. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

Billick is an offensive guy that inherited an all-time defense with the Ravens.

4. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I'll vote for the Dayton Flyer.

5. HardKnockTexan

HardKnockTexan All Pro

True that. I didn't Inception Billick enough. So I guess I gotta go with Cowher or Dungy then.

6. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

The most seamless transition guy would be Dungy but I don't think he will do it. I don't like Gruden at all.

7. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

UGH. Dungy? No thanks. I couldn't stand to watch him on our sidelines. No way no how. Only HC I hate more than Cowher, and I could get used to Cowher.

Besides, what has Dungy done besides be the beneficiary of the best QB of all time and a top 3 franchise?

8. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Neither does Warren Sapp apparently, given his comments while they were discussing Chilly's situation in Minnesota.

9. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

Yeah. And some of Billick's offenses in Baltimore were offensive.

Dilfer, Boller, Kordell Stewart? Eek. I'll pass.

And Chucky's last year or two in Tampa were kinda sketchy, too. Seems that I remember lots of QB changes, etc.

Now, if we could get Gruden and Monte Kiffin that would be fine but I know that aint' happening.

At this point, I don't care. Just make a change, Bob..... To quote BR5-49 "Sometimes I gotta do something, even if its wrong."

Make a change Bob.

10. HardKnockTexan

HardKnockTexan All Pro

He built the Buccaneers team that Gruden won a super bowl with. After that, he was a big part of making the Colts who they are. I'm not a big Dungy fan but there's not arguing that the man knows how to build a team.

11. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

I don't want Gruden. I like his fire for the sport, but I don't think he's a great HC.

12. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

Sounds like something we might be saying about Kubiak in a few years. Building a team doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot to Texans fans right now, considering our situation.

13. HardKnockTexan

HardKnockTexan All Pro

Kubiak and Smith have FAILED in making this franchise a winner. If Dungy can come in and put the right guys in the right places (from coordinators to players) then he's exactly what this team needs. He did get Manning which makes any team better but he also hired the guys that knew how to get the most out of Manning.

14. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I don't think he's a bad choice at all. He's a "missing ingredient" kind of coach much like they were saying on ESPN earlier Sunday about a Gruden to the Cowboys scenario. He can take a team with talent and add his energy and motivational ability and get them going pretty fast. He's maybe not so much the long-term builder if you want that kind of guy.

It's a hire I would not pan immediately. I'd consider it worth a try. If you look at us and believe that the problem is the coach and his staff then you're saying we have talent and we're being held back by the quality of our coaching. If you're right in that assumption then Gruden should make a positive difference right away.

15. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

I've never seen anything with Gruden that has impressed me. He inherited a franchise that was in good shape, and within a short time left it in shambles. For being an offensive genius, he never did anything of merit without Gannon and Rice/Brown as a head coach, much the same with Billick.

For what it's worth Dungy repeatedly keeps saying that he is not interested in returning to coaching, so I don't think he's even a possibility.

16. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

Tangibles:
    176-95
    1 SB Championship
    5 Division Championships

Intangibles:
    Good offensive mind
    Tough, no-nonsense coach
    Young

17. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

No thanks! Gruden and his stupid chucky faces needs to go to the cowgirls.

18. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

Hard to argue with results like that.

19. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Gruden is not my first choice. I'd be happier to see him here than what we currently have, but I have my reservations about Gruden. He built a great team in Oakland while working for a control freak owner. On the other hand, he collected QBs like trading cards in TB, which tells me he can't coach QBs worth a damn. On the other hand, the last couple years with the Bucs, he had very little developed talent and still went 8-8, which I thought was a pretty good coaching job.

So I'm torn on Gruden. Cowher is my first choice. I know one thing, and that is whoever succeeds Kubiak needs to come from a background of winning as a head coach. And he needs to have some attitude, IMO. I'm not saying that's a must for all situations, but I think this team, at this point, needs a boot in the ass more than most teams.

20. c10x

c10x Veteran

Rob Ryan.

Why you guys are clamoring for someone thats out of football I'll never know.