Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Team Gregg Williams

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
How about Gregg Williams? He wants another shot as a head coach. Even if he doesn't end up being much of a head coach, the odds are very good that we would have a good two to three year run (before things begin to unravel) with the offensive talent and schooling in place combined with an immediately and vastly improved defense.

Just a thought.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I think Williams deserves another shot. Just not here. The Texans need to aim higher.

Wolf6151

All Pro
I'd love Gregg Williams as DC since he's really good and runs a 4-3 but I'm not sure of him as head coach. I'd prefer someone with head coaching experience but if we have to pick from the list of coordinators to possibly be a head coach, he'd be on my short list along with Ron Rivera and Leslie Frazier.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
I think Williams deserves another shot. Just not here. The Texans need to aim higher.
I agree. Especially with what is out on the market right now.

But, it's all moot anyway because Kubiak will be here next season. Hell, we;ll be lucky to even get a new DC the way Smith and Kubiak work. They don't want to fire their buddies. They might get mad at them..sniff...sniff..

Texan4Ever

All Pro

I'm assuming you have Billichek's pic because he sucked with the Browns but won three Super Bowls with the Pats right?

Give anyone a shot for the HC, heck Miami hired an offensive line coach so why can't we look outside the box?

Speaking of offensive line, Russ Grimm anyone?

Mr. White

Retired OLine Coach
Remember when the Colts hired Dungy?

I think that's exactly what we need to do. Hire the best defensive mind out there and keep the offense intact.

That being said, we need someone who's had success at HC just like Dungy did at Tampa. Williams doesn't fit that criteria.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Remember when the Colts hired Dungy?

I think that's exactly what we need to do. Hire the best defensive mind out there and keep the offense intact.

That being said, we need someone who's had success at HC just like Dungy did at Tampa. Williams doesn't fit that criteria.

So, who are the choices then? Great defensive mind. Previous success as a head coach. Unemployed. Wants to coach the Texans. I'd love to see your list.

Mr. White

Retired OLine Coach
So, who are the choices then? Great defensive mind. Previous success as a head coach. Unemployed. Wants to coach the Texans. I'd love to see your list.
It's on my signature unless Parcells really wants to give it another shot. Maybe Jimmy Johnson, but he's been out of the game an awful long time. I also think that John Fox might be a good fit here. He had a good team until they got gutted.

I also like Brian Schottenheimer and Jim Harbaugh even though they don't fit the criteria I laid out. I think they have the right attitude to be successful head coaches.

I'm just scared of Gregg Williams because of his previous experience as a head coach. I'm just not convinced he's not Dom Capers v.2. Good DC, bad HC.

When the season's over, I think the Texans will probably be the best job in the NFL if McNair decides to make changes.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Agreed

If McNair wants to hire from the asst. coach ranks Russ Grimm would be a good hire. He would bring toughness to this team. That it is currently lacking.

My top 3 candidates are

1.Parcells
2.Gruden
3.Billick sp? Lewis as DC= 1 SB win

Any of these would be a major upgrade over smithiak. Atleast they have a much better understanding of clock management/replay review than Kubes does.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Dale,

What do you have agaist McNair hiring a proven winner?

McNair has proven he cant pick an asst. coach that's a winner.

The one thing a proven winner will bring with him is proven asst coaches. Unlike Kubes current staff, which I believe is the root of the Texans current problems.

Kubes didn't want to hire asst coaches that could take over if he failed. So he went the young asst coach route and we as fans are suffering though Kubes terrible decisions.

Give me a PROVEN WINNER PLEASE

:kubepalm:to ANYONE who thinks Cowher ,Gruden or any other "successful" coach is coming to Houston to coach...

This ain't Madden people and money is key to the kingdom and Uncle Bob ain't shelling out 10-12 mil per year for a "big named" head coach...

but yall keep dreaming...

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
How about Gregg Williams? He wants another shot as a head coach. Even if he doesn't end up being much of a head coach, the odds are very good that we would have a good two to three year run (before things begin to unravel) with the offensive talent and schooling in place combined with an immediately and vastly improved defense.

Just a thought.
I definitely think we should take what we got and go with a defensive minded coach Dale. I just wouldn't trust this guy as a HC right now. No way. The only guy I would like to give a shot to is Rob Ryan, because I like the attitude of the Ryan family. It's pure football grit and I believe that football players respond well to coaching like that where the coaches rub off on the players.

I think there will be some pretty good choices in this off season though. If we pass on looking for a new HC again this off season, the Texans will be staring at a complete meltdown season again like in 05 if we don't have that already this year. There are several good choices for next season and just about all of them would work for Mcnair if he paid them their value worth.