Team gives Casserly farewell...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by texan279, Jun 4, 2006.

1. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

from www.kffl.com

Texans | Team gives Casserly a fond farewell
    Sun, 4 Jun 2006 07:23:53 -0700

Ron Borges, of the Boston Globe, reports former Houston Texans general manager Charley Casserly's last day with the Texans was Wednesday, May 31, and he attended the team's OTAs daily until he left. On the final day, owner Bob McNair and new head coach Gary Kubiak asked Casserly to come to the practice field. When they brought him out, Kubiak told the players that none of them would be in Houston if not for Casserly. After receiving a strong ovation, Casserly was asked to address the team, something he said he'd never done in 30 years in the NFL.

2. kikiscafe

kikiscafe Rookie

Thank you for the post. I was wondering myself why there is no news at all about Casserly's last day. Regardless of how your opinion about him, it is nice to hear that the owner and the headcoach show appreciation. What a class act from them. What ashamed of our local media, that we, as the fan, have to get it from somewhere else.

3. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

McClain told of this on his Friday radio spot. Casserly got a huge ovation after his remarks to the team. Don't know why this didn't make the Chronic.

4. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

I wonder what he said to the team

5. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

Probably because it was not about Dallas or Tenn!!!:sarcasm:

Our Houston Chronicle sports writers have yet to realize that TEXAN fans are hungry for news of any kind about our team!! They have yet to convince me they are PRO TEXAN!! When they do, I will renew my subscription!! Until then, I will just continue to depend on my fellow MB buddies to provide info on my team!!

BTW: THANKS!!:redtowel:

6. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

We do what we can. :)

7. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Why should a newspaper be pro anything. I thought they reported the news?

8. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

although, seeing derrick johnson still makes me wanna cry, and its hard to watch him play for team other than ours, I've liked CC

best of luck to you CC

9. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

So from what I've heard, Casserly has become the favorite, if not the lock, for the VP position he's been going after.

10. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

I believe I said, new's of any kind!

11. kikiscafe

kikiscafe Rookie

Agree... I feel the same way. That is the only reason why I start looking for any Texans news from this board since 5 months ago. And my favourite Texans sport writer in Chronic now is Texanschick... love her insider report.

12. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

I don't care if they like the Texans, just as long as they report what's going on with them. I don't remember which station it is, maybe Fox, but the whole "Local news comes first" crap comes to mind right now.

13. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Thank you. Though I write about football, I don't think you should tar me with the "sports writer" tag--I'm just a fan--one as desperate for news on my favo team as just about everyone here. :texflag: (Who doesn't get paid other than just with the satisfaction that a fan's point of view has a chance to get heard).

14. TwinSisters

TwinSisters Hall of Fame

Hmmm. :um:

I hope Kubiak is just trying to be friendly.

It's generally not a good idea to try and make players feel like they are around because of one person. The players should be on the team because of what they do and did, not because of what some guy in the front office does or how he feels about them.

O well... just glad it is over. Forward Ho!!! ALL HAIL RICK SMITH

HAIL
    HAIL
    HAIL

:bowdown:

15. FILO_girl

FILO_girl I'm not here

Channel 2, KPRC.
    They do Sports Sunday at 10:35pm every week, check it out.

16. Exascor

Exascor Hall of Fame

Good luck Charley. Hope your career rebounds from the expansion blackhole.

17. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

I used to assign half of the blame for our team's personnel decisions to Casserly, the same mistakes we have discussed ad nauseum on this board now. However, in the years since that time, I came into repeated, close contact with Texans management who told me sincerely that most of the boneheaded moves we have ascribed to Charlie's ignorance were in fact calls coming from the former coaching staff, including last year's Derrick Johnson debacle. If this be the truth (and I think it is), then it appears that I (and many of us) have rushed to misjudge the man. I have even met and very briefly spoke with Charlie a time or two, and while he can occasionally be a slight surly, he struck me as a particularly intelligent analyst and a well-qualified GM.

Regardless, he has done good things for this team in his time and I wish him luck wherever he ends up. I am excited about Rick Smith, but some of my very favorite NFL players are here by Charlie's doing, so I thank him for that.

18. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

I have felt this way from a far for a long time. For some reason I'm not that high on Smith, but I will take a wait and see stance. Casserly was a heck of a lot better than most think. He was a back room guy who knew all of the players both on the field and off the field. He also kept the public informed like few GM's like it or not. No, he is going to be sorrily missed by the Texans. Smith has big shoes to fill.

19. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

The Texans are a class act, and this is confirmed every step of the way. In just one week they give Casserly an ovation and let him speak to the team for the first time in his career, and then the FO gives us fans an inside look at the heart of the players lives with tours of the Reliant facilities, as well as a chance to actually interact with players.

Mr. McNair has more class in his pinky than the owner of our previous team.

THANK YOU!!! :texflag:

20. ComstockLode

ComstockLode Veteran

So if I was a star player, would it have been alright for me to booooo?