Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Team Cowher

sometexansfan

Blue Bomber
The Steelers built through the draft. Go look at Cowher's history and where he got his best players.
True the Steelers build through the draft, heck they're still drafting well without Cowher around, which to me speaks more about their personnel people. If he can bring somebody over from there to team up with, then I'm all for him, but I'm not so sure about giving him 100% control over personnel, which he's been rumored to want if he becomes a HC again.

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame
True the Steelers build through the draft, heck they're still drafting well without Cowher around, which to me speaks more about their personnel people. If he can bring somebody over from there to team up with, then I'm all for him, but I'm not so sure about giving him 100% control over personnel, which he's been rumored to want if he becomes a HC again.
I'd give him 100% control, especially if he can bring some Steeler personnel over. His track record speaks for itself.

I'd give him 100% control, especially if he can bring some Steeler personnel over. His track record speaks for itself.
I've never been a fan of giving any coach 100 percent control. I think you need that good, creative tension between a head coach and general manager to get things done.

GP

Go Texans!
I think the GM here has more sway with McNair than the coach does.

Rick Smith is going to be around for a very very long time.

The key will be, IMO, to get a guy like Cowher who will say "No. You can keep Rick Smith and his role the way it is, but with amendments and alterations based upon what I want as head coach."

I imagine a guy like Cowher would ensure that if he wants to sign a Cedric benson-type player and needs a few extra dollars to get it done...then it's going to get done. If Cowher wants something, he needs to be able to veto any dispute Rick Smith might have.

This would have to be done under extreme discipline and with the understanding that the GM still gets to be a major part of the process--mostly with the actual construction of the contract(s)--but when it comes to identifying and securing a player that The Chin says he wants...I think Cowher has to be assured he can get that player.

I think the GM here has more sway with McNair than the coach does.

Rick Smith is going to be around for a very very long time.

The key will be, IMO, to get a guy like Cowher who will say "No. You can keep Rick Smith and his role the way it is, but with amendments and alterations based upon what I want as head coach."

I imagine a guy like Cowher would ensure that if he wants to sign a Cedric benson-type player and needs a few extra dollars to get it done...then it's going to get done. If Cowher wants something, he needs to be able to veto any dispute Rick Smith might have.

This would have to be done under extreme discipline and with the understanding that the GM still gets to be a major part of the process--mostly with the actual construction of the contract(s)--but when it comes to identifying and securing a player that The Chin says he wants...I think Cowher has to be assured he can get that player.

Well, but, the thing is, McNair will give Kubiak anything he wants. ANYTHING. I just think Kubiak is too clueless to do anything substantial with it. Why do you think this job is considered a hot job? Because coaches know that if they come here, they have full financial support from McNair. We can get almost any coach we wanted.

I agree about Rick Smith. He ain't going nowhere. I actually like the talent he's been able to find.

I agree about Rick Smith. He ain't going nowhere. I actually like the talent he's been able to find.
Like who? Trindon Holliday? Shelley Smith? Frank Okam? Brandon Harrison? Brandon Frye? Oh forgive me (and Fred Bennett) I'm just picking on all the players that don't have a job in the NFL....well, let's just skip all the picks that are still on the roster but don't play a single down ever EVER EVER especially in the face of epic failure and go right to all the superstars that Rick Smith is responsible for picking.....

uh....

that....guy.....who....is both really popular and good at football......uh....what's his name....

Frankly, nobody seems to discount him for using 2 #1 picks on substance abusers. Here it is. -1 point.

Oh damnit, I still have not named that superstar that he picked, what's his name again?

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame
One thing is for sure, if McNair wants all the publicity and national spotlight, Cowher would be the best coach for that. Even if the Texans only win one or two more games (or none) the rest of the year, best believe the Texans will get three or more nationally televised games, including a Sunday Night game, with Cowher as the coach. You don't think the league would love televising Cowher's first game back as a HC? The analysts and people around the NFL know that the Texans have plenty of talent. They just don't have a leader and someone to point them in the right direction. With Cowher, this team's talent would be freaking scary.

ubecool454

Veteran
I'll put my money on the line and bet that Cowher will be the Panthers coach in 2011. The Texans will have to look somewhere else.....maybe Gruden, Marty but we won't be getting Cowher down here.

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame
I'll put my money on the line and bet that Cowher will be the Panthers coach in 2011. The Texans will have to look somewhere else.....maybe Gruden, Marty but we won't be getting Cowher down here.
What's your reasoning for him going to the Panthers, knowing he'd have to rebuild?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The way I remember it, Cowher was only interested in the Texans because we had a complete team. Including QB.

If you guys are right & Schaub will never win a Super Bowl, I don't think Cowher is interested anymore.

Big Lou

Hall of Fame
If we signed Cowher would everyone be willing to be patient while we retooled the offensive line?

Just asking knowing this would never happen.

midway

Waterboy
If we signed Cowher would everyone be willing to be patient while we retooled the offensive line?

Probably, because we would have a guy who had been there and done that when it came to winning a Super Bowl, so the trust level is just higher. Kubiak was a bad QB and has been a bad coach, the trust level is pretty damn low, unless your last name is McNair.

It's also possible that he wouldn't have given Arian the contract and would have kept the line together.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

If the problem is the talent on this team, I don't think Cowher is the answer, unless he's going to be our new GM.

If we fire Kubiak after a 12-4 record, we're saying it is a coaching problem & he should win right away. If our guys don't fit the new guys "system" then we did a bad job of finding a coach for this team.

Txn_in_FL

All Pro
I thought this ship sunk already?

By all means, I'm all about the chin... it's just, he's been out of the league awhile. I don't know if he's got it in him anymore.

Ugh... and for God's sake, don't say make Wade the head coach.

mussop

Hall of Fame
If the problem is the talent on this team, I don't think Cowher is the answer, unless he's going to be our new GM.

If we fire Kubiak after a 12-4 record, we're saying it is a coaching problem & he should win right away. If our guys don't fit the new guys "system" then we did a bad job of finding a coach for this team.
Talent? It's not the talent. Well not completely. It's a combo poor QB play and poor game planning. Both of which Cower would rectify.

I have no doubt Cowher would make a change at QB at the first chance he had. Kubiak has never been a good game planner or game manager or good at in game adjustments. His game planning never takes into account what the other team is good at. It's straight forward, this is what we are good at so this is what we are going to do, you try and stop us.

That works fine against inferior and less talented teams although you can see it sometimes barely works against them when they are well prepared. When that happens or we are playing good teams he is incapable of making adjustments.

Hell look back at he NE game. Why in the hell would you keep running right at Wilfork when he is consistently blowing up the OL in front of him? :kubepalm: You see it over and over with Kubiak. Something aint workin? Keep trying it till its to late! I really wanted to be wrong about him but the more I watch this offense fall apart the more apparent it is that I was right about him all along

mussop

Hall of Fame
i thought this ship sunk already?

By all means, i'm all about the chin... It's just, he's been out of the league awhile. I don't know if he's got it in him anymore.

Ugh... and for god's sake, don't say make wade the head coach.
this x 10000000

robroy72

Rookie
Anyone remember the march to the stadium at the end of the 6-10 season with the coffin that said something like "Texans playoff hopes" and the guys calling for Cowher?

Hervoyel

BUENO!

There's a big difference between an "empty cubbard" and what we have here. This team has talent. They have plenty of talent. There are position issues around the roster that need to be addressed and they need a leader at QB badly but nobody is going to have to come in here and tear the thing down again. That's something the faint of heart want to convince everyone will be needed because they're scared of change.

I think Rick Smith is a good GM and I see teams torn down and rebuilt in short order all over the league every year. The Colts drafted a QB, ripped their team apart, kept the best pieces, and they're 11 game winners this year and headed to the playoffs after a 2-14 season. It took Gary 6 goddamn years to manage that. Sean Payton took a 3-13 Saints team to the playoffs the next year with a 10-6 record. Harbaugh turned the 49ers around, The right coach can turn your team around if there's something to work with.

It is a coaching problem, combined with a talent/leadership issue at QB and a talent issue on the OL in places. That's hardly insurmountable for a real NFL HC. For Gary that's another 4 years if we get a few breaks and everyone dedicates themselves to acting like a pro.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
because they pubically say the dont want to coach...

According to NFL.com Gruden is saying he'll interview this year for open jobs. Cowher won't be far behind him. Too many great opportunities out there. Houston is not one of them though. Gary's gonna be coaching the Texans to late season chokes for years to come.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
According to NFL.com Gruden is saying he'll interview this year for open jobs. Cowher won't be far behind him. Too many great opportunities out there. Houston is not one of them though. Gary's gonna be coaching the Texans to late season chokes for years to come.
You're right, and I hate you for it.

Well, I actually don't hate you, I just hate having to agree with you on this. I've been postponing renewing my membership in the Fire Kubiak club, but it appears it isn't far off.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
I agree they will take a job, I was replying to surreal mccoy suggesting they weren't getting calls because they were no good

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I'm honestly just not convinced that Cowher wants to come back. These days It seems that once these guys have been away for a while and get those cushy studio jobs that pay well, they've tended to not want to come back; i think these guys really do forgot how good life could be away from the constant stress that is a head coach in the NFL...........Aside from Gruden that is anyway.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I'm honestly just not convinced that Cowher wants to come back. These days It seems that once these guys have been away for a while and get those cushy studio jobs that pay well, they've tended to not want to come back; i think these guys really do forgot how good life could be away from the constant stress that is a head coach in the NFL...........Aside from Gruden that is anyway.

We could be very well stuck with "only better than average" Kubiak for years and years. And in some years, he could luck out with other teams just not being up to par and getting us something. I could think of worse things that could happen.

And I can also think of better things. There are very few elite head coaches to go around, and we certainly don't have one of them right now.