TE Hill........Strong Enough, Tall Enough

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, May 18, 2009.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Nice basic write up in the CHRONICLE on Anthony Hill. At 6'6" and 265 pounds he could be that "oak tree" in the Red Zone/End Zone. With his unquestionable blocking skills, he also brings what seems to be some nice hands. If he is able to avoid significant injury in the NFL, he may essentially develop into a bigger stronger version of DO.

2. valleytexfan

valleytexfan Hall of Fame

Seems like a great kid...he's certainly got the size for the job.

3. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    At 6'6'' 265 if he can catch a ball and hang on to it I'd say that's about a MACK truck comin' down the field. Never hurts to have that weapon. No punkass DB is going to tackle that, they'll just hope to be in the way enough to trip him up and not get hurt.

I think Joel Dressen's days are numbered unless he's a beast on special teams. He wasn't much of an impact player blocking and Hill was drafted based on his blocking.

4. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Yeah, Joel may be in serious trouble trying to make the team. TE is a really deep position now. Special teams may not be enough.

5. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Although I don't remember Dreesen being used as such, I believe that he was also considered a backup long snapper. We now have Casey who has long snapper skills.

6. Polo

Polo Guest

I think Dreesen is safe...

I don't think Casey will be carried as a TE...I think they will list him as a FB...

7. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Caldwell also has snapping experience. This is one of the first times people are waiting for guys we cut. We will cut decent players this off season.

8. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

This is my thinking too. They carry him as a FB but play him wherever they need him.

9. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Hill is not only gonna help us in the redzone, but he's also gonna help us against the 3-4 defenses that are becoming all the rage nowadays and are also the kryptonite of the ZBS. Now Duane Brown is gonna have somebody to chip one of those 3-4 OLB monsters when he's having a tough time instead of us having to change the gameplan or just hope Brown can hang tough due to lack of options.

10. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

4 TE's is kinda hard to carry, no matter if you call them Full Backs or not. It's possible, but I think hard to justify.

Agreed. he's also a big, strong target in the red zone, something we don't have outside of AJ.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  11. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

I'm not trying to attack you but this is something that people have been saying for the past 2 or 3 years now. If we had to cut Dreesen I would expect him to catch on with someone else but I've been working out an early roster projection and once you get past the top 45 or so its still slim pickings IMO. I do like those top 45 though.

12. Jackie Chiles

I think the question will be out of these 6 players how many do we keep:

Owen Daniels
    Anthony Hill
    James Casey
    Joel Dreesen
    Vonta Leach
    Boomer Grigsby

I think we keep 5. Owen and Vonta are locks as the starters at their respective positions. Anthony Hill was going to be ahead of Dreesen on the depth chart before we drafted Casey (I believe) because he brings something different to the table, something we need in his blocking ability. He is likely the 2nd TE. After this I believe Casey is more talented than Dreesen and brings more versatility, thats just my opinion though. This leaves Grigsby and Dreesen and since Dreesen won't be playing much as the 4th TE it comes down to ST where it sounds like Grigsby has the advantage. 3 TEs and 2 FBs.

13. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Sounds about right.

14. Polo

Polo Guest

I don't think Grigsby makes the team.

I can't find the quote, but I think I remember Shannahan saying that Casey will start out as a FB...But anyways here's a little bit from him:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1184630

I think that this statement was made before the addition of Grigsby, but like I said, I don't think he'll make it unless we decide to not carry a guy who only snaps...If we don't carry a long snapper I can see all 6 of those guys on the team...

Nothing is set in stone at this time. All of this depends on how they play leading up to cut dates...But what I'm saying is that I think that Grigsby will be the odd man out...

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2009
  15. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I don't think Dreesen's going anywhere this season. I think he might be let go eventually, but are we willing to rely on 2 rookies behind OD this season? I doubt it.

It's up to Kubiak and his staff to find roster spots for them. I highly doubt we'll go into the season having a Brian Pittman type player on the roster.

16. Polo

Polo Guest

Found it:

I don't even think whether Dreesen makes it or not is even a question...Casey was a wild card pick...I seriously doubt they dump their only other veteran TE to find a spot for Casey...I can't see that...

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=5270

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2009
  17. Jackie Chiles

The reason I could see them keeping Dreesen is because I doubt we have guys at other positions that are on the bubble that are more talented. If thats the case then Grigsby goes or we carry all 6 of the TE/FB group, thats fine but I don't see Joel getting much PT. I will have my eye on him though because I still think he could be a surprise cut when its all said and done. TE and LB have the most quality depth of any position on our roster by quite a bit I think, nice problem to have.

18. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

The Texans addressed a position of need (blocking in-line TE) & now have quality back-ups for both styles in case of injurys- Casey for Owen & Joel for Anthony. it would be ill advised to cut a position of strength just because it's no longer a position of need.

:texflag:

19. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Look, I'm a fan of Dreesen. I think he's like OD-lite as far as his 'game' goes but we've already got OD so finding 11 receptions and 77 yards when the main options (at TE, much less across an offense that's more and more stacked every year) are a much more dynamic threat in Casey and a huge target in Hill isn't asking much out of 2 rookies. Dreesen better turn up the heat in camp, special teams demon or long snapper or hell, BETTER TE THAN LAST YEAR maybe? I mean if Casey and Hill weren't picked to replace Dreesen, then what in the hell were they selected for?

20. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

Hill is a good pick and I can't wait to see him in action. If he DOES well against Owen Daniels and possess the skills to be an every-down type of TE does this mean its bye-bye to OD or what?

:texflag: